Search similar:

uniqs
stonep
join:2002-07-20
Auburn Hills, MI

stonep

Problems connecting with vpn, ftp, ect on a Static Connectio

Hello all

I am having problems getting any connect to a pc on the network with the new at&t line. To give a brief overview

1. We have the static ip service
2. We have the motorola 2210, which is set in "gateway mode"
3. WE are using a linksys wireless router

As far as the internet connect, this works great. All the pc's in the network are working fine and can talk to each other. The problem is happening when for example we try to setup a ftp server on one of the network pc's, and try to use a client outside the network (on the internet) we cannot establish a connect. It almost seems like something is not 100% transparent and allowing a full tcp connect to the modem. I am not a big fan of these motorola modems as somehow they just don't seem veyr transparent, and also I think the static setup. When the tech had left, we where told that we had a range of "usable ip's". Currently on the router we just have it set to dynamic pppoe, so it is pulling an ip ending with 80. the available ip's we where told where 75-79. As far setup, can anyone see what we are doing wrong? when the term "usable ip's" is used, what does that mean? After all by going the dynamic rought the ip we are getting works fine. Instead of going dynamic, if we put in the settings manually into the router, reboot the router, the connect still works fine and now using one of those ip's. Somehow still though, we cannot create an outside connect.

Thanks!

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

Your modem and router combo will not work correctly with the static IP plan. You can use one address and that's it...the Linksys is not up to the task. The best you can do with your equipment is pretend you are on a dynamic account and NAT the single address the modem passes to the router.

If you want to actually use the static address blocks you will need to upgrade your equipment.

That you had a tech install who left you with this mess is sad. You should demand your money back.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

said by RadioDoc:

That you had a tech install who left you with this mess is sad. You should demand your money back.
If you did have a tech install, and they left you a 2210 then that tech made a mistake that needs to be corrected.

Call in and explain, or post in the AT&T direct forum if you can wait a few days.

We need to make sure you get what you paid for.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

"When the tech had left, we where told that we had a range of "usable ip's"."

I think its pretty clear the tech screwed them.
jordanair
join:2000-08-15
Saint Louis, MO

jordanair to stonep

to stonep
call back to the sales team to see if the order shows a router if so they will need to arrange for a re-trip to supply you with a Netopia 3347.. I would not jump to the conclusion that the tech screwed up he can only provide what is on his work order. I would also give advise for anyone else if you order Static and tell sales you already have a router they may assume you don't need one from us they have no way to know that you may have a consumer level router like a Linksys, netgear, Dlink etc.... which will not give you the options needed...