Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

icp1
Premium
join:2000-10-13
Saint Louis, MO

Replacement glass for storm door

OK, I just broke the glass on my rear storm door. It's a basic aluminum door with 2 panes of glass top/bottom. I broke the bottom one. It looks you can just remove that piece to replace it, but where would I find just the glass part to put in there? Did a few searches and didn't come up with just the glass.

thanks for any ideas

HRM
God Bless America
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-03
Darien, CT
kudos:1

Go to a hardware store with the old frame and maybe even the "good" half so they can match it. (A glass store will do for you also) St. Louis sounds like a metro area and local stores will help you.

antbhill2
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-28
Northern VA
reply to icp1

A friend of mine did that to hers. She was able to get enough information (manufacturer and model) off a tag on the edge of the door to special-order a replacement from Lowe's.

If you can get the frame apart and determine what size piece of glass needs to go in there, you should be able to get a replacement at a hardware store.

zach3
Zach
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Saint Louis, MO
reply to icp1

icp1,

I don't know where you live in the St. Louis area but there are 3 hardware stores near the airport that will be able to take care of you.

Overland Hardware
Branneky Hardware
Biener Hardware

You can find their addresses in the phone book.

Zach

TODarling
U.S. Army Retired
Premium
join:2004-11-27
Fort Smith, AR

2 edits
reply to icp1

Its not as easy as just getting a piece of glass cut for it. Storm doors must have tempered safety glass by law. Safety glass can not be cut buy a glass shop because it will shatter. It is tempered after it is cut to size. All glass shops can order what you need if it is not a standard size that they have in stock.

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
reply to icp1

Any Ace Hardware will replace the glass for you, and if anything, replace with Lexen.

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL
reply to HRM

St. Louis is a Metro area, but you have to go out to the Burbs to get to a Home Depot or Lowes. There are more HD in St. Louis then I have ever seen. The Ace in Granite City where my Sister lives, has everything in lock up due to the amount of theft for the store. Talking to the employees at that store, they said that people even steal screws because they are so cheap.

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL
reply to TODarling

said by TODarling:

Its not as easy as just getting a piece of glass cut for it. Storm doors must have tempered safety glass by law. Safety glass can not be cut buy a glass shop because it will shatter. It is tempered after it is cut to size. All glass shops can order what you need if it is not a standard size that they have in stock.
I do not know where you got that from, but every Aluminum door that I have had (not including the newer Larson's on the house), where standard Plate Glass.

TODarling
U.S. Army Retired
Premium
Fort Smith, AR

said by Greg_Z:

said by TODarling:

I do not know where you got that from, but every Aluminum door that I have had (not including the newer Larson's on the house), where standard Plate Glass.
You need to go look at the glass in your doors. In one corner you will find eched in the glass stating it is tempered saftey glass.

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL

The newer Larson's that are on the house are Tempered Safety, but all of the older doors that I have come across (namely the old Aluminum that we took down) where standard Plate Glass.

TODarling
U.S. Army Retired
Premium
Fort Smith, AR

said by Greg_Z:

The newer Larson's that are on the house are Tempered Safety, but all of the older doors that I have come across (namely the old Aluminum that we took down) where standard Plate Glass.
I will buy that. Now by code if you break an older doors plate glass it must be replaced with tempered saftey glass.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Greg_Z

The rash of severe lacerations as a result of folks sticking their elbows, arms, and heads through storm door glass mandated that all new glass panes in storm doors be tempered safety glass or Lexan, or other "plastic" material. That happened quite a few years ago.

i1me2ao
Premium
join:2001-03-03
TEXAS
reply to icp1

it is not cheaper to replace the door??
--
»www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL

Depends on the door. To replace a Larson Storm Door, it can run anywhere from $125-400 depending on the door. It is cheaper to replace the glass, then the door.

parkut
Crunch Addict
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-15
Harrison Township, MI
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·WOW Internet and..
reply to icp1

It's a good idea to use safety glazing in storm doors, whether or not the local building codes require you to use it when fixing the door for the reason pointed out above.

Federal, State and Local building codes have required all new construction to have safety glazing in all doors and windows adjacent to doors where the possibility exists of someone walking thru it or accidentally putting a hand thru for many years.

Safety glazing includes Plexiglas (acrylic sheet), Lexan (polycarbonate), Tempered glass, and laminated glass.

The only true authority for you on this issue would be the City or County building department where you live.

More background info: »www.glass.org/consumer/h_glassensedoors.htm
--
Hello, my name is Bill and I'm a crunchaholic...

Proud to be the current host of Crunchenstein #1, #3, #5, and Foldy #3

sdgthy

@optonline.net
reply to icp1

A glass shop can cut a replacement. Because it's a door it'll have to be a safety glazing, such as tempered glass or polycarbonate (aka pexiglass). I would also think Lucite could also be used and that won't scratch as easily as pexi.

Lazlow

join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO
reply to icp1

I would use Lexan. I just replaced a basement window with it. Lexan has 250 times the impact strength of glass, so it is unlikely ever to break again. Price is another matter, a 18X16 peice was $14 at Home Depot. The two Home Depots that I stopped at would not cut it. Unlike plex it cuts very well with a electric jig saw.

Shogun00

join:2002-09-23
Goodyear, AZ
reply to icp1

Any glass in a door or window within 16" of the door or window within 18" of the floor- no matter where in the USA - must be tempered or laminated safety. Tempered is most common in windows and laminated most common in doors. If you can find a replacement in laminated you are better off. Laminated- like the front windshield in the car -is much harder to break.

Lexan can scratch over time but it will work. Lexan can be cut without much noise so if you use you storm door as a first line security door I would not advise that route.

During my "fist career" I sold more than a few doors and I saw some creative ideas that didn't always work too well.

Goodluck!

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to icp1

I had a similar situation.

I took measurements and the metal frame the window was in to a glass shop and had them replace. [or take to a Real Hardware store that has glass repair capabilities - in my case there was a gasket that also needed to be replaced.

Cost was around 15 to 20 bucks, I think. It was ready the following day.
--

Darn, its gettin that time to go to Wallymart to gits me picture taken agin.

icp1
Premium
join:2000-10-13
Saint Louis, MO
reply to icp1

thanks for all the replies, it clearly was not tempered glass in it originally, it broke into nice big shards perfect for prison fights

treetop1000

join:2003-11-07
Lexington, KY
reply to icp1

Lexan. The only real choice here. Available at all hardware stores, it's easily cut and -will not shatter-!
Glass in storm doors is a dangerous thing, usually because the older door it's installed in will flex. Lexan can take that flex and not show any stress fractures. Glass needs a gasket to help counter this, Lexan does not.