spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lorikr

join:2004-02-07
Lincoln, RI

Can you fax using a prepaid calling card?

Not sure what forum this should go in. I was wondering if it was possible to fax using a prepaid calling card. I've tried dialing the access number from my fax. I don't have a handset on my fax (all-in-one). I wasn't sure if it was possible by dialing from fax and then maybe picking up phone line. Anyone ever try this successfully? Thanks - Lori

efflandt

join:2002-01-25
Elgin, IL

It certainly is possible with a fax/modem which uses commas for each half second pause. I used a calling card for dialup PPP on a fax/modem long before hotels/motels had internet service. Although, I initially had to experiment with number of commas between the 8 or 9 to get an outside line and commas (maybe 6 or more) between the phone number and access code.

You may need to read the docs for your fax machine and see if there is a way to program a pause, and/or access code or 2nd speed dial button for that, depending upon how many digits it can hold for each phone number.

RockyBB
Premium
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO
reply to lorikr

some prepaid cards use very aggressive compression techniques. such compression makes phone calls sound a bit muddy. if your card uses such techniques, it might be difficult to get the fax machines to connect ... even if you do figure out how to get yours to dial out. If your card is from AT&T or Sprint (or other major telecom company) you should be OK. If it is a card marketed toward ethnic groups, I would expect problems.

Expand your moderator at work

lorikr

join:2004-02-07
Lincoln, RI
reply to lorikr

Re: Can you fax using a prepaid calling card?

It's a card I got at a local store (Job Lot). It is from RNK Telecom. I called to ask if you can use the card to fax and the girl said no, but I figured I'd see what you guys have to say.

RockyBB
Premium
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO

RNK is a voice over IP provider. they are likely using the IP protocol on your phone calls, which makes faxing difficult. if you had a speaker on your fax machine, you would certainly have no difficulty dialing out, but the machines might not be able to talk to each other. it's worth a try, especially if you've got lots of minutes left and you don't think you can use them up with voice calls.
--
"Teleblend has an agreement with the Assignee to solicit and support former SunRocket customers."

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to lorikr

Give it a try.. see if your fax has a button that just picks up the phone mine has one marked "hook" you press that and dial whatever you need. When the other fax answers make sure the paper is in and press start... most fax machines work that way.
--
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0