how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TherapyChick

join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

How to get around not buying a transponder key and save $$

Anyone who has a vehicle with a "transponder key" knows how expensive they are. They're about $150 or more.

The transponder part of the key is inside the black plastic part of the key.

The guy at the parts department at my Toyota Dealer told me today that you can afix and keep your transponder key under the area where your ignition is and then use "regular" keys to start the vehicle.

So for example I have one original transponder key. I don't want to pay $150 for another key. So I permanently stick this key near the ignition and buy a couple of spare $3.00 keys. As long as the transponder key is close enough, these "regular" keys will work.

And I've already bought spare remote fobs from eBay and they work fine, so I don't need the keys to lock/unlock the doors.

Some may have concerns about leaving the key in the vehicle, but my thought is that if someone breaks into your vehicle, they're going to steal your radio/wallet, and if they were going to jack your car, they'd know how to do it anyway.

Anyone do this?

rosco35
Premium
join:2003-11-10
USA
kudos:1

I wonder if the door would lock if the car detects the key inside the cabin?

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
reply to TherapyChick

In my cars (Acuras )they do. I accidentally set off the alarm when I turned off the ignition inadvertently locked the doors and then opened the door from the inside.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to TherapyChick

Not a very smart move. Those transponders add a layer of security and make it more difficult for the average thief to hot-wire the car. By disabling it, you're making your car no harder to start than an 80's Buick. Surely your car (and the inconvenience of having to replace it through insurance) are worth more to you than $150. Your insurance also wouldn't be happy to hear of what you had done in the case of car theft, it may even fall under a leaving-the-key-in-the-car clause.

Are you buying replacements because you're losing them or because you have more people that need keys than you have? All the cars I've bought recently have come with two complete key sets and a valet key (with transponder), perhaps there's a better approach to your problem.
--
Interested in open source engine management for your Subaru?

TherapyChick

Fayetteville, NC

Ah, I didn't really think about that the transponder part of the key makes it more difficult to hotwire.

Do theives have a way to get around this anyway though?

And I haven't lost any keys, I got the vehicle used and the dealer only had 1 key & fob with it.

And I think it's more just the idea of having to pay freaking $150 for a spare key when I'm used to paying $3.00 or less for key copies....

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6

1 edit
reply to TherapyChick

You don't need to spend $150.00 or more.

»cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-200···ameZWDVW

( not recommending this seller at all as I have never done any business with him or her. Just using as an example..There are other sellers with car specific keys as well)

TherapyChick

Fayetteville, NC

The dealer still has to program those keys and they charge like $90.00 to program it.

And it's not like programming the key fobs, they actually have a special device to do it.

But thanks for the link. I actually bought a spare key fob and blank (non-transponder) key from eBay earlier.

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6

Ok.

JTY

join:2004-05-29
Ellensburg, WA
reply to TherapyChick

What kind of car is it? Depending on the vehicle, the car may be able to program the new key. If not, check with area locksmiths, one of them might have the tool.

TherapyChick

Fayetteville, NC

It's an 2006 Sienna. From what I know, the car can't program it itself.

I know how to program the remote fobs, those I've done.

I asked one locksmith, he said only the dealer could do them, I may ask another to see, can't hurt to ask.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to TherapyChick

Transponder keys are between $70 to $80 at a locksmith. That price includes the key + programming.
You might be able to get it even cheaper if you want to haggle.

The equipment the locksmith used could program keys based on what the programmers firmware supported. He told me if his unit did not support programming for a car he could call the manufacture and see if there was a new firmware out.

There are remote starters that have a setup for keeping a transponder key in the car so it can start your car.
Search ebay for "transponder key bypass"
Here is one item: »cgi.ebay.com/SCYTEK-UNIVERSAL-RE···ViewItem

If you bypass with a key I would at least cut off the end of the key so if someone did get into your car, they would not have a working key.
--
»www.ryanoneill.us

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to TherapyChick

Perhaps I'm missing something.... if your going to leave the key near the ignition, why not just use that key and leave it in the vehicle?

Took me about 6 seconds to find this:

If you are intrested here is how you program a additional remote for 2005 Toyota Sienna LE model. I think it might be the same for other models and 2006.

1) Make sure that the key is not in the ignition, the doors are unlocked,
and the driver's door is open.

2) Very quickly, without turning, insert and remove key from the ignition
twice. (leave key out)

3) Close and open the driver door twice. (leave door in open position)

4) Again, insert key into the ignition and remove it. This time only once.
(leave key out)

5) Close and open the driver door twice, then close the door.

6) Insert key into the ignition and leave it in the LOCK position.

I'm betting if I spent a few more seconds I'd confirm is this works on a 2006.

For my Ford I bought a key for $20 in ebay, had it cut for about $2 and programed it myself. Cost... $22 with shipping.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to TherapyChick

I took the OP's way out. The key is taped to the steering column with black tape. It's fairly inconspicuous. My situation is a bit different in that it is a 2000 Ford Focus and I refuse to pay 10% of the cars value for a key. If I had a 2006 Sienna, I'd buy a key.

TherapyChick

Fayetteville, NC
reply to tcope

said by tcope:

Took me about 6 seconds to find this:

If you are intrested here is how you program a additional remote for 2005 Toyota Sienna LE model.
Yeah, that's for the REMOTE, not the key, and as I wrote earlier, I've already done that.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

If you bypass with a key I would at least cut off the end of the key so if someone did get into your car, they would not have a working key.
Well if the transponder is there then all they'd need is pop the cylinder and start it with screwdriver.
--
You can never be too rich, too thin or have too much Bandwidth

Glenn
I'D Rather Be Skiing
Premium
join:2000-10-05
Wallingford, CT
reply to TherapyChick

I bought a blank uncut key and a remote from E-Bay for about $25-$35 shipped to my door. I had the key cut, programed and the remote programed. That cost me $45...so about $70-$75 total. This was on a 2003 Grand Cherokee

Cliffs: Shop around.
--
Legal ATVing in Connecticut?

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to dvd536

said by dvd536:

said by r81984:

Well if the transponder is there then all they'd need is pop the cylinder and start it with screwdriver.
Gee I never thought of that. Hopefully all those people who have cars without transponders know that.

Seriously, the point is to deactivate the transponder so you can use normal keys.
--
»www.ryanoneill.us

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY
reply to TherapyChick

If your car uses a chip, you can pop it out of the key.

Honda/Acura have a small black piece on them which holds the transponder.

Some older GM VATS/PATS use a resistor on the key. You can also bypass these - but it's a bit more of a pain.

sapo
Cruising Down Memory Lane
Premium
join:2002-09-16
Sacramento, CA
reply to dvd536

said by dvd536:

said by r81984:

Thats assuming they know its there.
--
Oh.

deke40
Premium
join:2003-01-23
Texas

1 recommendation

Wouldn't work on my 08 Altima as it has a push button start.

Would work on my 07 Versa as it has the type that will also take the key to start.

On mine the doors will not lock with the intelligent keys in the car and if left in the trunk you can lock it but it will reopen in just a few seconds.

Like the previous poster stated why would you want to leave the key in the car and take the chance.

jeckler

join:2005-04-11
Mesa, AZ
reply to TherapyChick

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable
reply to TherapyChick

I just got a new (used) vehicle which has an RFID key... only got 1 from dealer, need at least two to program a 3rd... which stinks.

I plan on buying two blanks, having one programmed, and doing the 3rd myself.

Really not cool how expensive it is, but the idea of security is kind of neat... I do wonder if thieves have any ways around this though...

Probably going to get a "hide a key" type thing and keep the 3rd somewhere at home.

My opinion - not worth it to bypass the security... as other posters have said, it makes it that much easier to steal the vehicle... just my 2 cents