how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sml1771

join:2006-11-20
Sterling Heights, MI

HD Cable Box acting screwy

This morning before I left for work, I noticed that my cable box (SA 8300HD) was counting down from 400,399,398,397..etc. I tried hitting the power button to turn the box and TV on together, but the box wouldn't do anything. I then unplugged the power cord to reset it, but as soon as it turned on, it started counting down again (400,399,388,...etc). I didn't have time to play with it anymore so when I got to work I called WOW and they sent a signal to my house.

Anyone else have this problem before ?

I'm just wondering if my cable box is broken

CableCal

join:2007-12-16
Saint Clair Shores, MI
Wait and see what happens when you get home, It may have performed a firmware upgrade. Occasionally they need to do a search across the network to find the frequency they communicate with the headend servers on. If its still doing it when you get home I would think you need a new box.

sml1771

Sterling Heights, MI
Thanks for your reply. I'll check it out when I get home. Hopefully the box is ok. I'm sure it'll be a few weeks until WOW can come out to install a new box.

sml1771

Sterling Heights, MI
reply to sml1771
Well, when I came home from work the TV was fine. No problems. All that worrying for nothing.

wowzers

@wideopenwest.com
reply to sml1771
A countdown? That would have been kind of scarey. I wish you had let it go down to zero to see what your prize was

sml1771

Sterling Heights, MI
reply to sml1771
Yea really, It could have been a mission impossible type message from the President of W.O.W. with a special offer. If I had only been home to finish watching the countdown...

I still need to call back because whenever I record HD content the sound cuts out. Hopefully they'll be able to fix it. It's pretty annoying.

hamburglar_

join:2002-04-29
united state
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
said by sml1771:

I still need to call back because whenever I record HD content the sound cuts out. Hopefully they'll be able to fix it. It's pretty annoying.
When I turn my 8300HD on the sound takes about a minute to come on completely. The digital audio signal cuts in and out on my receiver and finally stays on. It's been doing that for about a month now.

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI
reply to sml1771
said by sml1771:

It happens to me also, and it seems to be pretty common among other 8300HD users. I don't know if it's WOW, or the box itself.

Has anyone else fixed this problem by getting a new 8300HD?
--
Scott Bourne’s iPhones are not insured for acts of God; God is insured for acts of Scott Bourne.

sml1771

Sterling Heights, MI
reply to sml1771
I just called WOW and told them about the sound on my cable box cutting out when watching recored HD programs. I also told them about another problem I'm having with my DVR not recording new shows (I have to manually hit the record button to record shows instead of setting it up to record every week). The only thing the guy suggested was unplugging the cord from the back of the box and reset it, which I've already done several times already. So needless to say the problem will continue. They're supposed to come out on Tuesday to look at it and if need be, replace it.

I have an HDMI cable from my TV to my Box, he suggested that might be part of the problem. Does that make sense to anyone ?

imrf
Premium
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI
Try formatting the HDD.

said by AVS Forum :
The procedure is to get the mail light blinking from the remote control by holding down the pause button. Once blinking do not press anything else except the page down (page -) button on the remote three times while watching the display. The display should say something like HDD-1 and then HDD-2 or HDD-F. Once on the setting you want (typically the third press) leave it alone and put the remote down. In a few minutes, the DVR will reboot and reformat on it's own. Once complete in about 10 to 15 minutes (depending on RDC and FDC signal level quality) the unit will be available to be turned on, but it's best to leave it off and come back at a later time after it has completely downloaded all of the guide data and info.

1. Press and hold PAUSE until Mail led is lit.
2. Press PAGE down or (-), and then press LIST three times.
3. Turn box off. When turned back on, formatting will begin.

It will blank out the HDD completely and all series recordings will be lost. But I've read that it does solve some people's skipping problems.

And no, the HDMI cable isn't the problem, unless you hav a cat that might have chewed through it.

DJ Matt

@wideopenwest.com
reply to sml1771
Oh no! Counting down? I hope this isn't the end of human existance.

sml1771

Sterling Heights, MI
reply to sml1771
Thanks for your help imrf. I'll try it tonight when I get home.

Is the "mail led light" the red light on the remote control ?

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI
No, it's an icon of an envelope that appears on the display of the DVR.

sml1771

Sterling Heights, MI
reply to sml1771
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks

sml1771

Sterling Heights, MI
reply to imrf
I tried holding the pause button until the mail light comes on, then I pressed the page down button three times. But it didn't do anything. The number E-14 came up on my box display, but nothing happened.

What am I doing wrong ?

imrf
Premium
Utica, MI
After hitting the PAGE DOWN button once after the mail light come on, hit the LIST button 3 times.

sml1771

Sterling Heights, MI
It worked ! I hope it fixes the problem with the sound cutting out. I tried setting up the DVR to record a few shows and it still won't set it up to record certain shows every week by itself. I had to go day by day to make sure they get recorded. WOW will be out to my house on Tuesday, so I'll see what they have to say.

Thanks for the help imrf

imrf
Premium
Utica, MI
Any time. Hope it gets solved one way or another.