how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

xPBxNaStY

join:2007-08-17
Harrow, ON

dry-loop price?

hey my friend was looking into getting teksavvy and he was going to get dry-loop...on the website it sais something about 29.95/month + band rate...whats this band rate it speaks of..is dry-loop more money than regular dsl?

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

Band rate is the price independent ISP pay Bell to use the dry loop. So yes dry DSL is more expensive than regular DSL.

xPBxNaStY

Harrow, ON
reply to xPBxNaStY

alright thanks.. there goes his chances for dsl.

ultracat

join:2008-01-30
Toronto, ON
reply to xPBxNaStY

Really?? Even with the band price Teksavvy is cheaper than Bell or Rogers. Is your friend going to give up internet all together? I'm on dry loop and my total bill comes to just over $40 a month. It's about $55 a month for the equivalent Bell or Rogers service. If you're in a service area with something better then go for it, but between Bell, Rogers, and Teksavvy, Teksavvy is for sure the best choice.

xPBxNaStY

Harrow, ON
reply to xPBxNaStY

well right now his parents r paying for bell and his brother is constantly downloading and he cant download anything or barely play xbox because he lags the whole time. so he wanted to get his own.

dsanfte

join:2005-03-15
UK
reply to xPBxNaStY

The band rate is something fairly small, $9/mo for Montreal. It's not the full retail price from Bell, if that's what you're thinking. Not by far...

mental_guy99

@rogers.com
reply to xPBxNaStY

quote:
so he wanted to get his own
Hold on, if he already has DSL on his line, as far as I understand he can't get any more. He should have another phone line to get one more connection, IMO... Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Taylortbb
Premium
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON

He would have to get another phone line, hence the dry-loop fees. That other line wouldn't have home phone service on it.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to mental_guy99

In most homes there is a second copper pair that could have DSL (or another phone line for that matter) activated on it.

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
kudos:3

Regardless if there is another phone line, it wont have a ADSL line card on it.
--
Intel Q6600 | 8800GTX | Ipods suck

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by twizlar:

Regardless if there is another phone line, it wont have a ADSL line card on it.
It is a Dry-DSL line... it may not have a PHONE card port mapped to it but it will certainly get an ADSL DLSAM port since it is its sole reason for being there.

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
kudos:3

I was referring to decx post

InvalidError

said by twizlar:

Very few lines have ADSL on it just for the heck of it, not having ADSL unless one has specifically ordered ADSL on a given line is a given. decx's post ("can have DSL") did not imply otherwise IMO.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC

Yes, phone line (even active ones) are usually only connected to a DSLAM port when an order for DSL is place. Otherwise a lot of DSLAM capacity would be wasted on non customers.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to dsanfte

As a rather late correction, downtown Montreal has a band rate of $7.25 (band A).

xPBxNaStY

Harrow, ON
reply to xPBxNaStY

ok he does have multiple phone lines comming in....can he have dry dsl and "wet" dsl in the same house?

InvalidError

said by xPBxNaStY:

ok he does have multiple phone lines comming in....can he have dry dsl and "wet" dsl in the same house?
Only on two separate physical lines: one carrying phone+ADSL ("wet") and the other carrying ADSL only. ("dry")

xPBxNaStY

Harrow, ON
reply to xPBxNaStY

forgot to mention theres only one NID also...can he still do it?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

said by twizlar:

Very few lines have ADSL on it just for the heck of it, not having ADSL unless one has specifically ordered ADSL on a given line is a given. decx's post ("can have DSL") did not imply otherwise IMO.
A little off topic, but this is not really true, there are entire subdivisions, and even entire towns, hotwired with ADSL all the time regardless if the customer ordered it.

nanook
Premium,MVM
join:2007-12-02
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to xPBxNaStY

said by xPBxNaStY:

forgot to mention theres only one NID also...can he still do it?
Yes. There are two pairs of wire going through the NID. The red/green pair is the primary line and would be "wet", i.e. have regular voice service on it. The other pair, black/yellow, is the secondary line and would be "dry."

The good news is that normally both pairs are wired throughout the house so at the jack where you want to plug in the "dry" DSL modem all you would have to do is replace it with a duplex jack (i.e. 2 RJ-11s), then wire the red/green pair to one jack for normal phone service and the black/yellow pair to the other jack for "dry" DSL.