Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

freyder
Premium
join:2001-02-15
Plano, TX

ATT inbound servers TOO BUSY

anybody else notice that the 2 external mail servers at ATT.NET are frequently overloaded and don't accept mail?

These guys:
att.net mail exchanger = 5 scc-mailrelay.att.net.
att.net mail exchanger = 5 aln-mailrelay.att.net.

try telnet to port 25... you frequently get
Trying 204.127.208.75...
Connected to scc-mailrelay.att.net (204.127.208.75).
Escape character is '^]'.
450 busy - please try later
Connection closed by foreign host.

Anybody know if they are doing anything about it?
I regularly see mail delayed 24 hours or more.

Surely customers must be complaining about mail being delayed.

Frohike
Premium
join:2000-07-23
Waxahachie, TX
kudos:4
Unless your a worldnet customer, should be connecting to either smtp.att.yahoo.com or if legacy - then swbell.net exchange.

freyder
Premium
Plano, TX

1 recommendation

I'm talking about INCOMING mail to ATT.

the MX (Mail eXchanger) records dictate which servers are used for INCOMING mail.

see my first quote for the DNS MX records.

mikeh77586

@swbell.net
I have ATT Yahoo dsl and haven't had any of these problems. I am located in the Houston, TX Bay area. 24 hours is certainly a problem that needs attention. It sounds like a switching problem on their servers. Maby its a certain local. Not to say that ATT wireless doesn't have its problems...there are times when its really fast and other times I'm waiting on the simplest webpage to load... which leaves to wondering if dialup isn't faster. Best of luck on solving your problem. I'll keep my ear to net and if I find a resolution I surely let you know!!

I use the web based email client from yahoo. While Yahoo and ATT are related, It keeps my mail on the yahoo server and doesn't go though the ATT or SWBELL email server & that could be why I haven't had the same experience as you have. You may want to try that route.

Mike H.

freyder
Premium
Plano, TX
if you're email is

something@att.net

then you're affected by this problem.

mail sent to you from other domains will frequently be delayed since these servers are frequently not accepting connections.
(like right now.)

I first noticed it when sending mail to my father who has an ATT.NET email address.

I noticed mail I had sent to him sitting on my mail server in a "deferred" state. Eventually, it gets through when the servers are less busy.

There is an option in sendmail that an administrator can set to refuse connections when the load average gets above X(The default is 8 as I recall).
I suspect that the servers are frequently at or above that threshold and hence do not accept connections.

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX
I ran in to that very problem sending to a @att.net domain from a privet server email address was able to send the very same email with a earthlink Id no problem.

mikeh77586

@swbell.net
reply to freyder
My email address is an @yahoo.com address

Tom_Greene

@bytehead.com
reply to freyder
Did you ever see a fix for this? I am an ISP admin and they will not talk to me to fix this problem despite multiple email contacts.
I need to let me customers know something and seeing this really is exactly what we are seeing.
Oddly, I can telnet from home (charter.net) but not from any IP in our class C.
Much thanks for any information.

freyder
Premium
Plano, TX
nope never saw a fix. They constantly deny access with the "TOO BUSY" error as stated in the initial post.

I basically just held my Dad's email up here on my server and made him a POP account.

Created the account in Thunderbird and now it checks both locations for mail... Transparent to him.

The plus side is now he doesn't have to wait for mail anymore.

I am still shocked that customers with ATT.NET addresses are not complaining.

Very tacky ATT. Very tacky.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by freyder:

I am still shocked that customers with ATT.NET addresses are not complaining.
I wonder how many customers with 'att.net' email addresses have 'at&t Yahoo! HSI'?

There are nine legacy SBC domains. Any of those users not migrated to the co-branded Yahoo! service might be on the AT&T Worldnet domain gateway mail servers, but I am not certain. That they are being migrated to the AT&T Worldnet POP3 servers may not alter their gateway domain servers.

Running 'dig' on the 'pacbell.net' domain still shows the 'prodigy.net' MX records; so I imagine that the bulk of AT&T West is not receiving email through AT&T Worldnet MX servers. Likewise for 'dig' on 'swbell.net' (AT&T Southwest), and 'sbcglobal.net' (used in all former SBC regions). So there are a bunch of us hanging out in these forums who don't have 'att.net' email accounts, and don't receive our email through AT&T Worldnet ('att.net') mail servers.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

freyder
Premium
Plano, TX
said by NormanS:

I wonder how many customers with 'att.net' email addresses have 'at&t Yahoo! HSI'?
Not sure why that would matter. Its not about the customer's brand of service.. If your email is @ATT.NET then your mail is potentially delayed.

For 3 months I have routinely seen the ATT.NET INBOUND servers denying connections.

I haven't tested the other domains you reference.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
said by freyder:

]Not sure why that would matter. Its not about the customer's brand of service..
It matters because you are discussing an AT&T Worldnet Service issue in a forum where the users, and the expertise apply to at&t Yahoo! HSI. Perhaps DSLR needs to add an AT&T Worlnet Service forum.

The other domains I reference *are* the domains of the AT&T West, AT&T Southwest, AT&T Midwest and AT&T Northeast forums. Only recently has 'att.net' been made available to at&t Yahoo! HSI subscribers. The bulk of us using at&t Yahoo! HSI are using one of the nine legacy SBC domains.
--
Norman

dotcomtech

join:2008-03-04
Nacogdoches, TX
reply to freyder
Our gateways still getting the 450 kick in the nuts about 90% of the time during daylight hours. Both 204.127.208.75 and 12.102.252.75 (MX records for ATT.NET) are doing this. Also an ISP admin, though we only have a few thousand customers, but it's annoying having to explain to old people why their super fast email takes 6-24 hours to be delivered. Seriously, why aren't ATT.net customers bitching about this? Maybe ATT.net doesn't filter spam and the customers get so much of it that they don't care any more. Apathy, it's a wonderful thing...for big corporations.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA

2 edits
reply to freyder
Upon reflection, I do not wish to post. Take me back!

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
reply to dotcomtech
said by dotcomtech:

Seriously, why aren't ATT.net customers bitching about this?
Probably because the majority of them are AT&T Worldnet customers, and this forum is primarily for support of at&t Yahoo! HSI customers in the Southwest, whose email domains will be either 'swbell.net', or 'sbcglobal.net'. Different MX servers. I have only seen a couple of AT&T Worldnet customers posting in the at&t Yahoo! HSI forums (West, Southwest, Midwest, and Northeast). And, they were directed to another forum for DSL issues (AT&T Worldnet resells Covad, so that forum is proper for DSL connection issues).

Perhaps, as more at&t Yahoo! HSI customers sign up with the 'att.net' domain, a larger pool of users hitting this wall will start posting here.
--
Norman

coral023

@12.156.82.x
reply to freyder
I have noticed the same thing. I have no idea if they are working to resolve the problem.

jimstan

@rr.com
reply to freyder
I just spoke to ATT - inbound is essentially down for anybody but dialup. Their POP3 has been down since two nights ago and they have no idea when it will be back up. On rare occasions some DSL/broadband traffic gets through but it is nearly closed. Maybe it's planned sabotage on their part in order to have people migrate to their new, improved webmail service. What a joke.

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to freyder
Geez, why is it when I send a test message to my att.net account from a non-att.net account, the email arrives instantly? There is no problem.

Oh yeah, and my daily spam quota seems to be arriving regularly on the att.net acount.

freyder
Premium
Plano, TX
said by d_l:

Geez, why is it when I send a test message to my att.net account from a non-att.net account, the email arrives instantly? There is no problem.

Oh yeah, and my daily spam quota seems to be arriving regularly on the att.net acount.
what part of "450 busy - please try later " indicates a non-problem?

I just did the above telnet command and got the busy error.

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
reply to freyder
My daily quota of MailGuard spam to att.net is getting through, the non-MailGuard caught spam to att.net is getting through, and all test mails to att.net are getting through instantly.

I have nothing to indicate that this is a problem. Maybe that is why there are no att.net users here complaining about a problem.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to freyder
What kind of connection are you using to Telnet to the server? I get that, as well, but my connection is dynamic; the sort that AOL won't talk to.
C:\Documents and Settings\User>telnet aln-mailrelay.att.net 25
Connecting To aln-mailrelay.att.net...

Connection to host lost.

But...
C:\Documents and Settings\User>telnet mailin-01.mx.aol.com 25
Connecting To mailin-01.mx.aol.com...
554- (RTR:BB)  http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rtrbb.html
554  Connecting IP: 68.127.136.33

Connection to host lost.

Other domain MX servers don't like my connection, either:
C:\Documents and Settings\User>telnet mx1.comcast.net 25
Connecting To mx1.comcast.net...
554 IMTA01.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast 68.127.136.33 Spamhaus BL006
Blocked for spam. Please see http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=Secur
ityMail_Policy18850

Connection to host lost.

I only have one correspondent with an 'att.net' email account; and she is on the AT&T Worldnet Dialup service. I just sent her an email. I will call her later, this evening, and see if she got it.

But, 'jimstan' says AT&T told him that dial users aren't seeing the problem. Maybe not everybody trying to send email into 'att.net' accounts is seeing the problem you are seeing.

--
Norman

BTC

@probono-no.org
reply to freyder
I have a customer with a MS Exchange Server connected to an AT&T FastAccess DSL connection that's receiving this same error when sending to @att.net addresses. Now, one would like to believe that you'd be able to send mail to att.net when you pay AT&T for Internet service on their own network. However, when I call AT&T for support (which I've done off and on for the last 2 weeks for a total of 8.5 hours) you're told to call this number and that number, visit this site and email that address. Everyone I've spoken with at AT&T has been unable to help or even tell me who to contact for help. I've dialed so many numbers I can't remember where I started. One guy told me "Oh, you're with the NEW at&t, formerly Bellsouth." Are they serious? What the...? He told me he was scheduling a call-back from his supervisor because the super was on the phone with another issue. Think I got that callback? Think again.

Seriously, is there no one that's found any useful information from these idiots?

-sigh-
BTC

reply to freyder
Interesting, I'm a sysadmin on several systems, and only one is giving me this problem. It's in a data center (a different one than the other systems) so the IP is not dynamic and should not be blocked, but I get the following sessions on two different servers (in the same city):

Server A #> telnet aln-mailrelay.att.net 25
Trying 12.102.252.75...
Connected to aln-mailrelay.att.net.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Server B #> telnet aln-mailrelay.att.net 25
Trying 12.102.252.75...
Connected to aln-mailrelay.att.net.
220 att.net - Maillennium ESMTP/MULTIBOX alnwmxc02 #695
ehlo bla
250-att.net
250-7BIT
250-8BITMIME
250-DSN
250-HELP
250-NOOP
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 31981568
250-VERS V05.21c++
250 XMVP 2

Both within seconds of each other. It almost smells like an IP filter to me.

freyder
Premium
Plano, TX
its definitely an intermittent problem that seems to be more frequent during prime time.

Oh.. I have static IPs too

reply to freyder
Here's a thought I found while researching this, is AT&T applying rate limiting? When I look at the logs, I see groups of messages going through then long times of "busy." We have a large number of users who have their office e-mail forwarded to their blackberry accounts, which would very likely fill up any rate limits rather quickly, thus explaining why that server is being blocked while other servers are not.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by J David Baker :

Here's a thought I found while researching this, is AT&T applying rate limiting? When I look at the logs, I see groups of messages going through then long times of "busy." We have a large number of users who have their office e-mail forwarded to their blackberry accounts, which would very likely fill up any rate limits rather quickly, thus explaining why that server is being blocked while other servers are not.
Could well be. But I will remind you that this is an at&t Yahoo! HSI forum (AT&T Southwest), and most of us are just end users little expertise in matters relating to AT&T Worldnet Service.

We have a hard enough time getting somebody official to listen when the Yahoo! mail servers we (mostly) use go FUBAR.
--
Norman