viperlmw
Premium Member
join:2005-01-25

viperlmw to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo

Re: All this wailing and gnashing of teeth

said by morbo:

~snip~ why aren't our elected leaders planning for these expenses?? infrastructure improvements should be a priority, not something we have to wait for the federal government to bail us out of. at times, that means more taxes till the problem is fixed, then a much smaller tax for maintaining that improvement over the next x years.
Your point here is, imho, valid. The problem is that anti-tax crowd again, insisting that these thing will somehow fund themselves, or yelling because their priorities are higher than yours, and that's where they want their money to go, not to your priorities, or insisting that deficit spending is good for you. And heaven forbid a governmental entity save money in a fund to pay for these infrastructure upgrades. NOOOOOO, they insist on issuing bonds, along with corresponding interest payments, so their bond fund buddies get more business, which increases the total cost of the project, and they start yelling again. If government spends money, they get yelled at by the anti-tax folks. If government doesn't spend money, they are 'do-nothings', and get yelled at by others about gridlock. Government at any level is unable to please everyone all the time, but they do ok by most people most of the time. And most of the people voted for this tax (which, I'll bet, has the effect of decreasing more peoples tax than it increases, maybe even more than 66%). ~rant~ IMHO, we as a nation need to stop thinking of government as the enemy, and think of it as a partner, as it is the glue that holds our civilization together, and never forget that it is "We the People" that runs it. And remember, I am not a customer, I am a Citizen! ~rant off~

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

i think we are on the same page.