spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Section VIII
join:2004-06-02
Dover, DE

Section VIII

[northeast] Verizon FIOS and Outlook 2003 Setup

I got my FIOS installed yesterday and finally got around to setting up my Outlook to read my e-mail (I dislike web-based e-mail).

I was following the set-up settings on the Verizon support site after my initial attempt failed and I am still getting an error during the test. Specifically it states that the outgoing mail server may be disconnected (or something like that) and/or I don't have a port capable of SSL.

The incoming test works fine. It's just the outgoing test that doesn't want to work. I've tried different settings in the properties for the set-up in Outlook but still no joy.

What am I still doing wrong? Is the server down?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Probably a logon issue.

Under Email Account->Change, Logon information, you should have username@verizon.net and password. Server Requires Authentication should not be checked. Server information should be incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net.

Under More Settings->Outgoing Server, Server Requires Authentication should be checked and Use Same Settings as incoming mail server should be selected.

Also make sure TCP port 25 is open outbound on the ActionTec and any software firewall you might have such as ZoneAlarm.

If that doesn't fix it, please post the exact error message.
Section VIII
Dover, DE

1 edit

Section VIII

Still no go. I have a web site I use Outlook to read e-mails from (using same settings) and I'm able to access without any problems. It seems to be this Verizon e-mail I'm having problems with getting to work right.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Section VIII

MVM

to Section VIII
To prevent spam bots, VZ blocks outbound port 25 to non-VZ SMTP servers.
You won't be able to connect to an SMTP server unless is supports SSL connections.

Try the following, to see if you mail server supports SSL connections:

Under More settings, go to the advanced tab.
For Incoming Server, enter 995 and check Server requires SSL connection.
For Outgoing server, enter 465 and check Server requires SSL connection.

This is how I have my non-VZ email accounts configured and it works just fine. I don't use my VZ provided email account, although I do have it configured.
Section VIII
Dover, DE

Section VIII

My non-verizon e-mail works fine with no problems using the same outbound port 25 so I don't think it's the port settings. The error message I posted above is for the Verizon account (outgoing.verizon.net).

That's why I'm baffled. Why would I be able to use non-verizon account without problems but not the verizon outgoing mail server? Shouldn't it be the other way around without changing settings?
Section VIII

Section VIII

I finally got a hold of a tech and the problem wasn't really a problem. Apparently sometimes the test for the e-mail settings doesn't work right and the set-up is fine.

He had me just open Outlook and try sending a message to my other account and it worked fine....albeit a little slow to receive the message.

Thanks for the help.

AVITWeb
join:2002-01-11
Williamstown, NJ

AVITWeb

This happened to me when I set it up initially..For some reason I gave up and left it and during the next send/receive, it worked fine..although I am using 2000.

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid
join:2001-01-06
Brick, NJ

1 edit

NyQuil Kid

I've run into the exact same issue with both Verizon and Comcast - its usually turns out to be an Outlook issue with the test mechanism and normally emails work fine...

Is anyone really surprised that it's an Outlook issue?

[8F] The NyQuil Kid
Fragzem
join:2008-02-07
Inwood, NY

Fragzem to Section VIII

to Section VIII
I simply recommend GMail. (www.gmail.com)

I do, however, understand that from certain lines of business and in certain situations that Outlook is a much more favorable option.-- but for regular plain everyday e-mail, I think GMail is the way to go.

It's not your "traditional" web-based e-mail, such as say, Hotmail or Yahoo which take forever to load, and are at times incredibly difficult to work with. Its a much more fluid solution than web-based e-mail of yesteryear. For the longest time, I too, had despised web-based e-mail. Especially hotmail and optimum online's version of "webmail".

Which, by the way, when I was an OOL subscriber, I used Mozilla Thunderbird as an alternative to Microsoft Outlook.

-Fragzem
»fragzem.wordpress.com