how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gtmtnbiker

join:2007-07-17
Acton, MA

[Equipment] SIP ALG wasn't enabled, enabling seems to help

I have Verizon FIOS 20/5 service with Actiontec MI424WR router and Linksys SPA2102-R adapter. I was formerly with SunRocket which had the best VOIP service until it went under. I switched to Verizon Voicewing which stinks. I get frequent echos, especially for the other caller.

I just signed up for Viatalk a couple of days ago. Service seems to be working fine for outgoing calls. For incoming calls, the caller could hear me but I couldn't hear anything they said.

Perusing my router configuration page, I noticed an option for SIP ALG that was set to disabled. I enabled it which forced a reboot of the Actiontec router. Now my Viatalk VOIP is working well in both directions.

Has anyone else had the same experience I did with SIP ALG option?

mogulman
Premium
join:2002-09-09
Parker, CO
On my Trendnet router, having the SIP ALG makes the sound quality worse.

CyberSultan
Premium
join:2006-07-20
reply to gtmtnbiker
said by gtmtnbiker:

I have Verizon FIOS 20/5 service with Actiontec MI424WR router and Linksys SPA2102-R adapter. I was formerly with SunRocket which had the best VOIP service until it went under. I switched to Verizon Voicewing which stinks. I get frequent echos, especially for the other caller.

I just signed up for Viatalk a couple of days ago. Service seems to be working fine for outgoing calls. For incoming calls, the caller could hear me but I couldn't hear anything they said.

Perusing my router configuration page, I noticed an option for SIP ALG that was set to disabled. I enabled it which forced a reboot of the Actiontec router. Now my Viatalk VOIP is working well in both directions.

Has anyone else had the same experience I did with SIP ALG option?
I have the same router, but don't see any configurable option for SIP ALG. Where is it located?

gtmtnbiker

Acton, MA
On the configuration page, it can be found in the advanced section, there's a icon showing a small network. It lists Network Objects, Universal Plug and Play, SIP ALG, MGCP ALG, and Protocols.

I can't remember but I'm pretty sure that I upgraded the router firmware version in the past couple of months. I'm currently using version: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.7

CyberSultan
Premium
join:2006-07-20

1 edit
said by gtmtnbiker:

It lists Network Objects, Universal Plug and Play, SIP ALG, MGCP ALG, and Protocols.
Mine only lists Network Objects, Universal Plug and Play, and Protocols. Is your router configuration Verizon branded? When I first got mine, it wasn't. But at some point they branded it. Not sure if I ever had the SIP ALG option. Interesting.

Edit: Ah, its exposed with the latest firmware (which I'm staying away from because it caused problems with my VT service...and really screws up the ability to set static IP leases).

gtmtnbiker

Acton, MA
said by CyberSultan:

Mine only lists Network Objects, Universal Plug and Play, and Protocols. Is your router configuration Verizon branded?
I've had the router for about year and a half. I recently upgraded the firmware in an effort to try to fix the echo issue that I was having with Voicewing.

said by CyberSultan:

Edit: Ah, its exposed with the latest firmware (which I'm staying away from because it caused problems with my VT service...and really screws up the ability to set static IP leases).
I haven't had any issues with VT but then again, I don't do static IP leases. Anyway, I'm happy that my VT talk service is working. Also, customer support seems to be much better now. I'll probably cancel the POS Voicewing in a week or two.