spc
Search similar:

uniqs

speedbee
@clearwire-dns.net

speedbee

Anon

[General] Clearwire blocks everything

Can't even watch play now movies from netflix. Called Clearwire support and there response is YES we cap video streaming, its not allowed read our tearms and conditions. Worrest internet company I have ever had. This is only one of the many things clearwire blocks.Canceling my 3rd and final account monday when the billing department opens.
WarmCoke
join:2007-01-31
Boise, ID

WarmCoke

Two suggestions - buy a progressive scan DVD player and connect it to your TV - you can get them for $50. Or, go to the theater and leave the PC every once in a while.

I'm ok with Clearwire monitoring stuff like this so as to prevent your bandwidth sucking activities from affecting me too much.

I'm glad they cap it.

Speedbee
@clearwire-dns.net

Speedbee to speedbee

Anon

to speedbee
Yes to a point its ok but they block everything, I cant even upload photos to Walmart or anywhere else to have them printed clear wire only allows 20-30 MB of uploading before they cap your upload at 8KBs or less the last web site I tried to upload took almost 5 hours to upload and was no more then 400-600MB.

Angryguy
@clearwire-dns.net

Angryguy to speedbee

Anon

to speedbee
Warmcoke. Part of having the internet connection and using the netfilx service is that you do not have to pay the to go to a show with a bunch of other people and it does not specifically call out streaming video. I checked. I do have a problem with my ISP monitoring what I am doing and throttling band with. I pay for an allocated bandwith so I should be able to use that bandwith. i get disconnected every time I stream video. Frankly there is stuff out there to watch that is not from hollywood that you can not find on DVD, you can only find it online. If they want to cap it fine, cap it at the 1.5 mbps I pay for.

shutin
@clearwire-dns.net

shutin to speedbee

Anon

to speedbee
Hi I am unable to leave my home due to a medical condition so I too tried taking advantage netflix offer to stream movies on my PC. I have had been having the same problem and was told the same thing. I built my PC to get rid of my TV. I do not watch movies that often and because my medical condition I can't go to a theater. I read the terms and conditions as well and since I am only trying to stream a movie once or twice a week I see no valid reason for clearwire to block my legal viewing of a movie using a service I pay for. Whom ever you are Warmcoke I suspect you work for clearwire. Why don't you sir/madam think before you type. If this is such a problem why doesn't clearwire improve their network to allow people to actually use the web not just surf it.

superdog
I Need A Drink
MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA

superdog to Angryguy

MVM

to Angryguy
said by Angryguy :

Warmcoke.
I do have a problem with my ISP monitoring what I am doing and throttling band with. I pay for an allocated bandwith so I should be able to use that bandwidth. If they want to cap it fine, cap it at the 1.5 mbps I pay for.
As an owner of a wireless ISP (WISP), I thought I would mention a few things about what Clearwire is doing, and my thoughts on it.

I do not agree with blocking ports. I also think that it is insane that just trying to upload a few pictures to WalMart gets you capped. These are all NORMAL activities while using the internet.

We allow our users to do almost anything they want, and as long as they use their connection without being a hog, it works.

We do have a policy of NO peer to peer (Limewire, Bit torrent etc.) on our network. This fact is mentioned and stated right up front before they sign up. We are adamant about this, and let everyone know so there are no surprises after the service is installed. This way they can find another provider if they need to use those programs.

Without trying to make you angry, I want to explain a few things about how ISP's work and the service they provide.

When you pay your monthly fees to access the internet, it does entitle you to use your connection, it is however, a consumer grade connection to the internet. This is a shared connection by you and the other users of this pipe.

Consumer grade connections are generally a "best effort" setup. The reason for this is the business model most ISP's use. Lets say your connection speeds are advertised as 1.5mbps up/down and your monthly cost is $40?.

The payment of $40 allows you to use this pipe whenever you are using the internet. It does not and can not give you access to all 1.5mbps 24/7. You could purchase this right if you really need that much bandwidth, but it will cost you around $400 to $900 a month (T1-dedicated 1.5mbps symmetrical) depending on where you are located. Higher speed bandwidth is even more expensive, with a slight price break above say 10mbps?. A 10mbps symmetrical metro Ethernet drop where I am located costs me $4600 a month. I let some of my customers use that 10mbps, but it will depend on how many people are online. If they are one of the few users online at that time, my system will allow them to burst up to that limit.

This business model is called over-subscription, with the idea being that if 200 users are hooked up, only 40 to 50 may be on at any one time using the pipe. The problem comes into play when ISP's get greedy and put too many users on one pipe.

I am in business to make $$, and if I don't make $$, I won't be here for long.
said by Angryguy :

If they want to cap it fine, cap it at the 1.5 mbps I pay for.
If I were to give you 1.5mbps uncapped 24/7 for $40 and pay $400 for it, it may be a good deal on your part, but I won't be around very long to provide you with this exchange.

seejaywhy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-23
Lotus, CA

seejaywhy

Premium Member

Excellent post, Tim. I feel the wanna be incumbents such as clearwire should be advocating customer education on topics such as over-subscription.. most people still don't understand that the various consumer wireline flavors are delivered under very similar models.

Consumers- Become familiar with CIR (Committed Information Rate).
ernliz
join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC

ernliz to Speedbee

to Speedbee
said by Speedbee :

Yes to a point its ok but they block everything, I cant even upload photos to Walmart or anywhere else to have them printed clear wire only allows 20-30 MB of uploading before they cap your upload at 8KBs or less the last web site I tried to upload took almost 5 hours to upload and was no more then 400-600MB.
Not so, at least in my area. We upload tons of photos to HEB for processing -- no problem. I download HUGE files for installation on my PCs -- no problem. Some Windows updates are likewise very large.

I can view all youtube videos at full speed, play flash games, d/l music files from Amazon, actually all sorts of stuff. I don't do major file sharing, but that's not a factor for me.

Watching TV from Clearwire -- I've done a bit of that, but I'd rather just watch TV! It does take LOTS of bandwidth online, and I can see why Clearwire would cap that. Eventually, as they grow bigger, I expect they'll allow for even more bandwidth.
JJV
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA

JJV to speedbee

Premium Member

to speedbee
Im glad I read this. I was about to buy clearwire for our radio shack.
Caps are unacceptable.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Here's my opinion:

If they're capping absolutely legal streaming video, especially netflix (which is disgusting quality and low bitrate anyway), THEY have capacity issues that THEY need to fix! Sure, they can block all the borderline-illegal stuff they want (read: bittorrent\p2p) but having a single connection to a single server and expecting a decent amount of bandwidth to come down that line without being throttled into oblivion is a reasonable expectation. If they don't alow you to do that, please do everyone a favor and take your money elsewhere. That way ClearWire will get the ficture and change their ways.

Heh, at least when you pay for a mobile broadband connection from Verizon or CricKet (both have a mere 5GB cap) they'll let you use the connection up to that amount without messing with your traffic. Limiting internet to web browsing and checking e-mail (complete with attachments...which are limited to 20 MB usually) is certainly profitable for the ISP, but should be enraging to customers who know what year it is.

A few words to ClearWire: 1997 called, they want their internet back! You know, dialup, where the 'net was too slow to do anything "drastic" though if you had 100 hours of access then by golly you got 100 hours of whatever slow surfing you wanted! All 1.8 gigs if you were connected at a decent speed.

Sure, consumer class internet is based on oversubscription and you're not paying for a T1, but oversubscription is based on the assumption that users WON'T use the connection nonstop 24\7, not that measures should be put into place so that they CAN'T. I'm picky about caps so I want go one better than the following, but the local WiSP has a DS3 serving ~1500 customers. Granted, most of them are likely using a 512k conection, or at most a megabit, and there's a 25GB cap for residential, and 35 for business, connections, but that's it. Internet speeds are somehow fine even though the service is oversubscribed 20:1 bandiwdth wise and no draconian capping policies. Anyone who won't allow mere video streaming on a BROADBAND connection should go...um...do themselves.

skwerl88
@clearwire-dns.net

skwerl88 to speedbee

Anon

to speedbee
As a fellow subscriber to Clearwire, I must say that I have never been so unhappy with an ISP. I'm capped and throttled, CONSTANTLY. Watching videos on youtube? Good luck. Downloading a file; say--a necessary driver when reinstalling? Find someone else's bandwidth to borrow. Downloading a OS, whether torrenting linux or downloading Windows from MSDN? Be prepared to have your bandwidth throttled for a week.
Literally. A week. I'm currently paying for 1.5mbps, getting about 215kbps, and have been on the phone with clearwire multiple times (they claim everything is running well... and that it's my fault for "torrenting illegal files" when I was legally downloading Windows off of my school's MSDN website).

BellevueNetUser
@clearwire-dns.net

BellevueNetUser

Anon

I'm here in Bellevue, WA on Clearwire. Youtube videos download about 3 seconds at a time. I have to start a 7 minute video and walk away from it for 20 minutes then come back and watch.

I used P2P to grab a Linux distro and to share out videos of our daughter's softball team's games. P2P is capped miserably (note that I'm not doing anything illegal with it, thanks) and apparently to punish me for the transgression of using more Ethernet frames than they want to let me use on my unlimited connection, youtube is about as usable as it would be over dial-up, and skype is frequently unusable (I can hear the other party, but my voice is breaking up to them).

Interestingly, they didn't always cap. It started late last year, probably when they started to gain subscribers due to more of a marketing effort. Prior to late Fall, 2007, I didn't have any problems with them, but now I feel like I'm back on ISDN.

Blech. Is there anyone around here that doesn't unreasonably cap?

wells77
@clearwire-dns.net

wells77 to speedbee

Anon

to speedbee
I own clearwire and was not informed of any of this when I signed up. I hate my clearwire service. I just tried downloading a free mmorpg and was blocked because it is a torrent file. Blocking a completely legal download is absolutely unacceptable. I was an uneducated internet purchaser before clearwire, and never had any problems with my internet before clearwire. Now, I will make sure to read everything before signing up for internet service. I am currently trapped in a two year contract with this terrible internet service. I wouldn't recommend clearwire to anyone. And to Superdog, I don't care about your profits, I care about my freedom on the internet, the way it is suppose to be. Go to China if you want to block internet access.
WarmCoke
Boise, ID

WarmCoke to speedbee

to speedbee
Everyone should read Superdog's post over and over again until you memorize it. It is well written, logical and it explains in very plain terms why you some of you folks think you are getting a raw deal when in reality you are getting EXACTLY what you pay for each month from Clearwire.

I have used Clearwire to view Youtube videos with no problems. I have downloaded large files from websites with no problems. I have downloaded legal music with NO PROBLEMS.

The internet and computer usage for me is only an occasional thing and that may be part of the reason why I am VERY satisfied with Clearwire - I'm not nerding it up online 8 hours a day trying to watch movies, bit torrent downloads, World of Warcraft and all the other bandwidth sucking activities that everyone loves.
Qrusher
join:2002-09-26
Farmersville, CA

Qrusher

i have clearwire and it is the worst isp i've ever used. Its worst than many of the dialup isps i used to have. They told me i could only download 3 hours a day!! I pay them $50/month and get shitty service. Its always slow, mostly around 20-30k/sec and youtube, you can forget it. What odd is at night, its really fast, but who cares about that.

I feel they should lower their prices if they cant offer the service i signed up for. I would never recommend Clearwire to anyone, if i could i would go back to dialup. Since all they expect me to do is surf and check my email, why would i need anything more than dialup to do it? My neighbor has Clearwire and it is even slower! She can never get more than 2 bars on the modem and its slower than dialup to surf. She is going to cancel soon.

I guess they have a new 3 strikes and your out rule. Since they sent me warnings about my 'excessive usage' and they said 1 more and i would get terminated. Even when i used only 40gb/month they said that was too much. It wasnt always this bad, but it started last year. All of a sudden it would get slow for no reason and they i got the emails telling me i was using too much of the bandwith that I was paying for.Maybe Clearwire is in the wrong business and should just offer dialup since they cant offer anything that resembles broadband. As soon as my contract is up, im going back to dialup.

Kinked_Wire
@verizon.net

Kinked_Wire to WarmCoke

Anon

to WarmCoke
said by WarmCoke:

The internet and computer usage for me is only an occasional thing and that may be part of the reason why I am VERY satisfied with Clearwire - I'm not nerding it up online 8 hours a day trying to watch movies, bit torrent downloads, World of Warcraft and all the other bandwidth sucking activities that everyone loves.
Well there you go, NetZero Dial-Up for less than $10 a month would probably meet your needs. Bottom line is ClearWire does not meet the broadband needs for the vast majority of people who actually want to utilize the internet to enrich their lives with more divers news, entertainment, shopping, keeping current with long distance family & friends relationships, etc.

Before I would even consider subscribing to ClearWire service:
1) They would have to have a reasonable ETF ($100) on one year contract.
2) Make their service compareable to Cable & DSL in all aspects. Available bandwidth, QoS, allowed useage, cost/bandwidth, etc.
3) No unauthorized auto resubscription.

ClearWire is not even close on any of this.

Kinked Wire

Warm Coke
@verizon.net

Warm Coke to WarmCoke

Anon

to WarmCoke
Warm Coke is exactly what ClearWire is, Warm Coke, who want's Warm Coke?

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to WarmCoke

Premium Member

to WarmCoke
said by WarmCoke:

I'm ok with Clearwire monitoring stuff like this so as to prevent your bandwidth sucking activities from affecting me too much.

I'm glad they cap it.

If you are so concerned about bandwidth sucking activities of other customers then you should stop trying to convince people of how great ClearWire service is. That could only attract the very evil you despise. Instead you should be trying to drive customers away so you can have the entire bandwidth all to yourself.

KIDPUTER
Kevin Mitnick was Framed
join:2004-08-27
Porterville, CA

KIDPUTER

OK , Has anyone figured out a way to get around , Clearwires Blocking of Peer to Peer and such activites ?
It seems that , we need to figure out how they od it and find a workaround , Im sure we ( colectivly) can do this.
How do they do it , is it a port based block on default settings or what ??
I will start to look at ways. Ive run netstat while it is doing its thing and I have started changing some of the settings on Limewire , there has got to be a way , nothing like this has caused me grief for very long, I will report back when I have something.
Later
JD

Toorbit
@amazon.com

Toorbit to Kinked_Wire

Anon

to Kinked_Wire

Clearwire is not Broadband

Amen on Clearwire being the worst ISP I've ever had.
1. I'm unhappy with my service and they don't appear to care. The moment you sign the contract you are stuck with paying the entire contact.
2. If you plan on doing more than email and web page surfing, like downloading driver updates, watching youtube videos, etc. think twice before trying Clearwire.

A Clearwire's customer service rep tell me that they do not support streaming media and that there is no promise on what your download rate will be; their only claim is it could be "up to" a specified rate.
WarmCoke
Boise, ID

1 edit

WarmCoke to speedbee

to speedbee

Re: [General] Clearwire blocks everything

Sounds like we need some blankets and warm "ba-ba's" - the Clearwire boobs are back in full force.

I have never had a more reliable ISP than Clearwire. Consistent connections and download speeds and no ties to the damn local phone company or cable provider - nirvana!

I have also just recently started running Magicjack VOIP service via my Clearwire connection and my voice quality and connections have been GREAT to this point.
annimossity
join:2008-01-21
Galt, CA

annimossity

said by WarmCoke:

Sounds like we need some blankets and warm "ba-ba's" - the Clearwire boobs are back in full force.

I have never had a more reliable ISP than Clearwire. Consistent connections and download speeds and no ties to the damn local phone company or cable provider - nirvana!

I have also just recently started running Magicjack VOIP service via my Clearwire connection and my voice quality and connections have been GREAT to this point.
LOL is this guy for real ?
WarmCoke
Boise, ID

WarmCoke

said by annimossity:

LOL is this guy for real ?
Let me pinch me......ouch - yep, for real.

twp
@jillyred.net

twp to speedbee

Anon

to speedbee
clearwire is like piss warm beer.. it sucks..

when they sell you this shit they should tell you they cap it out...

CWisTHEdevil
@clearwire-dns.net

1 recommendation

CWisTHEdevil to speedbee

Anon

to speedbee
I've had CW for almost 3 years now and I'm getting a new service as we speak and here's why.

THROTTLING! THROTTLING! THROTTLING! I can't do ANYTHING without being THROTTLED!

1. Steaming video is out of the question! (So a dude can load up youtube and watch a few flicks???No I have to stop the video and let it load!!!)

2. Streaming audio (WTF no Itunes???)

3. Gaming (OMFG)

4. Downloading (Within 5 minutes I get the hammer taking speeds from 180k-220k which is crap to start with to around 60k or even under 10k a second)

At one time I was playing World of Warcraft and had over a 10 SECOND PING!!! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME??? 10 seconds is absurd.

And what really gets me steamed is I could do all of these thing before with no problems! How can they change their quality of service like this???

Oh and to WarmCoke and any other basshole that want's to say CW is worth anything how come I can't even stream the video on www.clearwire.com's website without being THROTTLED!!! I guess not even CW's own video can stop their all mighty THROTTLE!!!

WORST SERVICE EVER!!!
desertsurfer7
join:2002-07-26
Mountain Home, ID

desertsurfer7 to speedbee

to speedbee
I truly have no idea what you people are talking about. I have clearwire, I just finished downloading the a movie 701MB, no problem, I woke this morning to a speed of 3.8mbps using speakeasy speedtest, and am consistently on at around 1.7mbps, I have the 1.5MBps service, my cable was always slowing down to around 300kps during peak times, clearwire never slows down--I LOVE MY CLEARWIRE!!! 1.321MBPS and I downing another movie

Speedbee
@clearwire-dns.net

Speedbee to speedbee

Anon

to speedbee
I am glad to see I am not the only one that does not like Clearwire. Maybe one day they will make an effort to make their customers happy.
akl1991
join:2008-07-23
Visalia, CA

akl1991 to speedbee

to speedbee
*Dial up>Clearwire*

if there was a list of isp from the best over all satisfaction to the worst.
i honestly think dial up would be above clearwire
but hey atleast when i had dial up i didnt expect fast dl/ul speed, like clearwire advertises they should take "high speed internet" off next to their logo and put "just a little better then dial-up" next to it.

and that conculedes

*Dial up>Clearwire*

coincidence
@clearwire-dns.net

coincidence to speedbee

Anon

to speedbee
Clearwire:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clearwire Corporation (stylized as "clearwre" in the logo) is a wireless broadband Internet service provider (ISP) serving markets in the United States, Ireland, Belgium, Denmark (with Danske Telecom) and Mexico (via MVSNet). Clearwire was founded by cellular phone pioneer Craig McCaw in October 2003[1][2] and headquartered in Kirkland, Washington. Clearwire currently uses Expedience wireless technology, dubbed Pre-WiMax, transmitted from cell sites over licensed spectrum of 2.5-2.6 GHz in the U.S. and 3.5 GHz in Europe.[3]

On May 7, 2008, Clearwire and Sprint Nextel's wireless broadband unit Xohm announced their intent to merge, combining Sprint's 4G WiMax network (Xohm) with Clearwire's existing pre-Wimax broadband network. Sprint will own 51% of the firm, with ex-Clearwire shareholders owning 27% - a consortium of Comcast, Time Warner, Intel, Google, and Bright House will invest $3.2 billion and own the balance.[4] The new firm will retain the "Clearwire" brand and will sell 4G WiMax mobile broadband to Sprint as an MVNO, while Clearwire and the cable companies will buy 3G mobile broadband from Sprint as MVNOs.
Link to above quote :»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearwire

just thought you might like to know