All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

speedy101
join:2001-01-29
Woodside, NY

speedy101

[XP] whats a good wired router that i can buy?

which wired router would you recommend? i have d-link 604 which seems to be not working. just gotta see with the new router. in ur opinion which one is the most realiable and good to use. name some of the popular one's. Thanks again.

Airwolf
Premium Member
join:2001-10-30
Windsor, ON

Airwolf

Premium Member

Just a wired one...the DI-604 Rev. E is pretty good. Replaced by the EBR-2310 though. Same hardware, different look.

speedy101
Woodside, NY

speedy101

popular too by the peer's ?
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

One thing to keep in mind- given that wireless routers are so popular these days, if you look in the weekly sale brochures from places such as Fry's, Best Buy, etc., wireless models are about all you will see advertised. A lot of times, the (on-sale) wireless model will be the same price (or even cheaper) than the (full-price) wired router. All wireless models have Ethernet ports, so they can be used in a wired mode. There will be a place in the configuration to turn off the wireless radio.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

3 edits

Anav

Premium Member

Concur with Dave.
Your limiting access to perfectly good routers by stating wired. The volume sales phenom means that the majority of products sold are in fact wifi routers and thus they will tend to be more readily available and cheaper. (same with access points, which are oftern more expensive than wifi routers). You can choose NOT to enable wifi in most of these routers and thus you have a "wired" router.

That being said, one of the better wired routers (firewall and vpn able) available is the zyxel zywall 2PLus, 3x the cost of what you can get a decent home wifi router for though.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to speedy101

MVM

to speedy101
You are going to get a ton of people here telling you what you should and should not use and many of them will be conflicting. My recommendation is to get a brand name like a SMC, Linksys, DLink, etc. Stay away from the off brand ones. They are all good routers and do the job very well.

speedy101
Woodside, NY

1 edit

speedy101

thats true, just want to know, with the wireless router dont u lose half of the speed the service provider gives u? or is the computer with wirless router that loose it?
how is this router? can u pl check?

»www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ ··· etail.do

from these 3 which one would be most relible ? i had di-604 before it didn't give me troble at all. i dont know something thats more complex.
fox77
join:2001-02-12
Culver City, CA

fox77 to speedy101

to speedy101
Well, being as you said good... Get the Zywall 2 +.

fox7

router18
@cuny.edu

router18 to speedy101

Anon

to speedy101
i ll not find the zywall in every stores though, i need it by today. any other suggestion any particular model of d-link ,linksy

speedy101
Woodside, NY

speedy101

i just bought the d-link EBR 2310, can i set up port forwarding on this router as di 604 one???? if not i ll have to exchange and get something else

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

1 edit

Anav

Premium Member

»D-Link DaStinky forum, lots of happy people I'm sure!

speedy101
Woodside, NY

speedy101

on some people comment in review i heard that their port forwarding doesn't work

JessA
@sbcglobal.net

JessA to speedy101

Anon

to speedy101
Check out the Linksys RV042 or the RV082.

neofate
Caveat Depascor
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Birmingham, AL

neofate to speedy101

Premium Member

to speedy101
said by speedy101:

thats true, just want to know, with the wireless router dont u lose half of the speed the service provider gives u? or is the computer with wirless router that loose it?
how is this router? can u pl check?

from these 3 which one would be most relible ? i had di-604 before it didn't give me troble at all. i dont know something thats more complex.
Yes a computer that is not physically 'WIRED' will lose LAN speed. It is limited by the wireless protocol among distance/signal factors. The most common, cheap, protocol used at the moment is G-mode. Which runs at 54Mbps on a 100% signal.

Bottom line, with any wireless router that is at least a Wireless G router, your internet speeds are *not* fast enough to see a slow down with the wireless router.

Also , the ports are 10/100 on wireless or wired (unless you get a Gig-E, and we aren't talking about that) -- So it does not matter which you get,.. Your speeds are going to remain the same. Your internet speeds are not going to change.

So buying a wired router without the 'wireless' capability is a bit silly imho.. unless you have a more specific reason other than you want your speeds to be 'faster'. They are identical.

The wired routers you link are the exact same speed 10/100 ports as a wireless variation of those routers at the same price.

With all of that said, if you are absolutely dead set on a wired only router. The RV042 is way more than you need but one I currently bought and love its reliability and features. I highly suspect it is not worth the money for your application, but I recommend it. The RV082 is simply an even more robust version of the 042.

If the D-Link worked great for you in the past, go with it again. I would go ahead and get the same Dlink wired router , but get the wireless variation of it. It will probably save you money, and as everyone has stated you don't have to use the wireless portion of it.

If you go with a linksys WRT54G router.. Go online and get the WRT54GL --(the L is important) -- Second in line would be the WRT54GS . I advise against the standard WRT54G (But that is just my own opinion,.. the WRT54G is arguably the most common router on the market, and MANY people use it very reliably.. I would just prefer the WRT54G(L) or WRT54G(S) to ensure the reliability. *Some will argue this point, so just take that as my personal preference for the bargain priced routers.

When you go above 80$ or so, you are getting some functions that you will honestly not use for a home application (most likely) -- but it doesn't hurt to have them. Also you will be gaining, generally, more robust hardware. IE: Faster CPU's, more memory and such. (The memory is a big reason I move towards the L and S versions of the WRT54G series..)

Hope that helps,

speedy101
Woodside, NY

1 edit

speedy101

i got the d-link ebr 2310. one question, can i set up port forwading for my application?

i got d-link again cz of the past experience with it i guess. i dont know about the linksy i was reading some review it got mixed opinions.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

1 edit

Anav

Premium Member

Did you read the user guide, it will tell you all you need to know regarding port forwarding. If not, ask in the dlink forum.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to speedy101

MVM

to speedy101
said by speedy101:

i got the d-link ebr 2310. one question, can i set up port forwading for my application?
I have had very bad experiences with the D-Link EBR 2310. For whatever reason IMO D-Link has not been able to produce decent firmware for THIS particular model. IF you want something that is super reliable and CHEAP then I suggest that you get the Netgear RP614 Broadband Gateway.

You cannot compare the cheap class of this type of gear to the ZyWALL 2+ --- the ZyWALL 2+ is head over heels superior in every way BUT if CHEAP is the way that you want to go the Netgear RP614 cannot be beat.

speedy101
Woodside, NY

speedy101

what were some of the experience ? didn't let u port forward or something else?

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Assuming you have EBR-2310 rev B. (works with vista)

Page 30 in the table of contents, says Port Forwarding.

Looking at the manual, Virtual server is port forwarding but for a single port. In addition you can redirect the port if the internal port (to a PC etc) needs to be different from the port outside users will use.

The next table is labelled port forwarding and is very similar to virtual server except that
a. you can put in a single port or RANGE of ports
b. no port redirecting capabilty.

Besides that what are you having trouble doing.??

speedy101
Woodside, NY

1 edit

speedy101

yes i have ebr2310, not sure about revB but on the box it displays (work with vista). Sorry but what do u mean by for a single port ? only on 1 computer i can do port forwarding? is it any different from di 604 port or other feature wise? thanks.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

2 edits

Anav

Premium Member

Nope, each computer has over 65,000 ports.

BUT, you can only forward a port (or range of ports) to one computer behind a router. Routers will not allow you to try to assigne a port to more than one PC. Obviously, the router would be confused if incoming traffic came in on a port and you had stated there were two or more places the traffic could go.

Port forwarding is like a traffic cop for unsolicited incoming traffic.

You really should do much more reading before posting such basic questions.

»Networking Forum FAQ
»www.homenethelp.com/web/ ··· -dmz.asp
»www.homenethelp.com/web/ ··· uter.asp

»portforward.com/help/pfp ··· sion.htm

once done, then go to the ultimate port forwarding site...
»portforward.com/english/ ··· ndex.htm

speedy101
Woodside, NY

1 edit

speedy101

ok i see, yah i have to do some reading on this. thanks for the links. i seem to get the picture now, when a 1pc is using a same port, the other cannot used the same port. i dono if i got that right or not? but to break down if i am using azurues on my computer , the other second pc/laptop canont use the same port on that.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

You have it correct speedy. You are not necessarily stuck though as most software programmers these days realize ppl are using routers!! Smart programs allow you to decide which port to use, most often in the preferences setting of the application. Thus you can run azureus from all your PCs, but each from a diff port.

speedy101
Woodside, NY

speedy101

whow! i was worried bout that. just curious which router does actually take advantage of that? thanks for tremendous help. i appreciate it. was my last router able to do that or same case?
speedy101

speedy101

i dono i seem to notice something, the webpages are loading slower than expected. even without any p2p running.
Atlkrackerja
join:2002-06-30
Atlanta, GA

Atlkrackerja to speedy101

to speedy101
One of the few things CompUSA ever got right in their overpriced turbulent world were the signs they had in the Networking hardware areas that most people still don't really understand! " NETWORKING, HOME OR OTHERWISE IS NOT PLUG AND PLAY!" Here several years later I still have to think and study to keep my ever growing network running! I applaud all of you guys that can sit there and keep explaining how to do it to folks!

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to speedy101

Premium Member

to speedy101
I recommend any router listed at www.dd-wrt.com

speedy101
Woodside, NY

speedy101

thanks, mostly linkys

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to speedy101

Premium Member

to speedy101
There is a MASSIVE HCL now but most of the additions currently work only with the release candidates.

I'm waiting for the next release the current one is about 2 years old (also goes to show how stable it is)

speedy101
Woodside, NY

speedy101

Between Linksys WRT54GL ( most popular among users) and Zyxel X-550. which one would u choice? Both are really good. same price range