Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

Vinegar and marble

I found out today that these two are bad for each other. The damage is only on the 'protective' coating on the marble, and you have to look almost horizontally to see it, but it can be felt, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to fix/reseal it? It's a clear coat on a light grey marble vanity top - »www.restorationhardware. ··· vCount=1 (with the light grey marble top). And yes, it wasn't my choice to spend $2000 on a vanity!

Any wonder why I prefer Corian or the like??
BVT
join:2004-10-25
Mount Juliet, TN

BVT

I marble polish wont work, you will need professionals. It wont be cheap either

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

1 edit

jjoshua to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
If you're sure that it's just the sealer, then get a bottle of sealer remover to remove the old sealer. Then re-seal.

Otherwise, the marble is permanently damaged and it will need to be re-polished.
61999674 (banned)
Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
join:2000-09-02
Here

1 edit

61999674 (banned) to Sweet Witch

to Sweet Witch
When I read the thread Topic my thought was "uh oh". Vinegar can be very distructive, seems odd for something that is non-poisonous.

Yeah $2000 is a bit much for a vanity, and with a marble top ?? ...

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

I would have been much happier with buying the base there for $800 (because of the needed measurements) and using a fabricated top, but my sister had power of attorney and blew the budget to hell, all the while saying 'you get what you pay for'. Ok, but do you *really* need to pay $250 for a fabric pendant light or $125 each for plain white ceiling fixtures?? Funny how easy it is to spend someone elses money to improve the house you'll be inheriting isn't it??

rosco35
Premium Member
join:2003-11-10
USA

rosco35 to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
vinegar reacts with the calcium carbonate in marble...vinegar is an acid and calcium carbonate is a base...some marble polishing compound is the only DIY thing i can think of to try and fix it.

SInce the vinegar probably etched the surface, if the polishing compound doesn't help, it will need to be re-honed.

Vinegar is funny stuff, its ~5% acetic acid. Pure acetic acid is highly corrosive and will seriously mess you up if ingested.

NS4683
join:2000-08-25
NJ

NS4683

It'll also cause a pretty nasty chemical burn.
61999674 (banned)
Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
join:2000-09-02
Here

61999674 (banned)

But store bought Vinegar is 100% safe for humans, you can ingest relatively high quantities without harm, it will do unpleasant things to some things though.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
To a lesser extent, anything made from tomatos can do the same to marble.
Marble countertop do's & don'ts »www.countertopspecialty. ··· are.html
Cleaning: »www.countertopspecialty. ··· ble.html

Kylemaul
Lovin' My Firefox
Premium Member
join:2001-03-30
Puyallup, WA

Kylemaul to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
I'm wondering if 'glass stove-top' polish might do the trick?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

I would be leery . . . .

Kylemaul
Lovin' My Firefox
Premium Member
Puyallup, WA

Kylemaul

Premium Member

because?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
NirvanaLand

Coma to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch

I think of glass polish as having an intrinsic grit component.

buttoni
Premium Member
join:2005-08-16
Temple, TX

buttoni to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
If allowed to sit on the surface long enough, lemon juice and lime juice will have the same chemical interaction with calcium carbonate areas of solid stone counters. The documentation that came with my granite counters said basically anything very acidic, like vinegar, citrus juice or tomatoes. I always make sure I wipe the area off with water after using those items in food prep.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
If she will be inheriting it, and it was her choice, sounds like her problem.
Moody
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
NW USA

Moody to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
Cultured marble is a composite product of actual stone dust mixed with a binding product. The surface is sanded incredibly smooth and coated with a special "gel" finish that is durable and waterproof... but not indestructible. The surface is susceptible to scratching, burns and is affected by some chemicals... most notoriously nail polish remover!

The same folks who do "glazing" on tubs also do vanity tops. They use a special type of paint to give your sink a new surface. You may be able to purchase this paint from a local paint store, but it is quite expensive... perhaps more costly than a new vanity top... and a gallon will be quite a bit more than you need! The only website I have found that sells this product direct to the consumer is:

»www.integritycoatings.com

Other sturdy paints, such as floor paints, will stand up for a while but will not be as durable or long-lasting as the "real thing".

If you want to attempt a spot repair yourself you may be able to mask the spot with a little artistry and a kit from Bath Wizard designed to repair small defects in cultured marble. Their website is »www.bathwizard.com .

HTH!

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Looking at the original posted link, its not cultured marble but instead Italian marble (the real thing).

Kylemaul
Lovin' My Firefox
Premium Member
Puyallup, WA

Kylemaul to Coma

Premium Member

to Coma
said by Coma:

I think of glass polish as having an intrinsic grit component.
Seems logical to me. I've been very impressed with the shine (think new car freshly waxed) that I get using Weiman Cook Top Glass Cook Top Cleaner. The label says it contains silica (sand?), isopropyl alcohol, and detergents. Says it is "guaranteed not to scratch". It seems to actually fill scratches--cast iron's not too friendly with my stove top...

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

The label says it contains silica (sand?) . . . . "guaranteed not to scratch". It seems to actually fill scratches . . . .

I would venture to say that the sand is a different color then the counter top.
Moody
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
NW USA

Moody to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

Looking at the original posted link, its not cultured marble but instead Italian marble (the real thing).
Oops, my bad!
I was in a big hurry and didn't look at the link.
Sorry about that!

Kylemaul
Lovin' My Firefox
Premium Member
Puyallup, WA

Kylemaul to Coma

Premium Member

to Coma
FWIW to the OP, my stovetop is roughly identical in color to the marble shown in the OP.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to rosco35

to rosco35
said by rosco35:

vinegar reacts with the calcium carbonate in marble...vinegar is an acid and calcium carbonate is a base...
Calcium carbonate is a salt, not a base.
Vinegar is funny stuff, its ~5% acetic acid. Pure acetic acid is highly corrosive and will seriously mess you up if ingested.
Probably the strongest you can get (easily) is 10% around here, and you'd need to drink quite a bit of that to have a serious problem. Remember, the stomach secretes HCl, which is a lot stronger acid than acetic acid.

rosco35
Premium Member
USA

rosco35

Premium Member

said by aurgathor:

said by rosco35:

vinegar reacts with the calcium carbonate in marble...vinegar is an acid and calcium carbonate is a base...
Calcium carbonate is a salt, not a base.
Probably the strongest you can get (easily) is 10% around here, and you'd need to drink quite a bit of that to have a serious problem. Remember, the stomach secretes HCl, which is a lot stronger acid than acetic acid.
So is it just the calcium that reacts with the acid then?

Yes the stomach secretes HCL, but you can't drink concentrated HCL solutions can you? I certainly would't want to drink some glacial acetic acid.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by rosco35:

So is it just the calcium that reacts with the acid then?
You can think of that way. The acetate ion replaces to CO3 ion.

Yes the stomach secretes HCL, but you can't drink concentrated HCL solutions can you?
The stomach doesn't produce concentrated aacid. In any case, it's not very healthy, but it is certainly possible to drink it one time... People who do that often don't get a second chance.

I certainly would't want to drink some glacial acetic acid.
Even concentrated acetic acid is weaker than the stomach acid; the main issue would be that it's hygroscopic.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to rosco35

MVM

to rosco35
said by rosco35:

So you don't eat sweet and sour dishes, pickles, and green olives - all use vinegar and the main ingredient in pickle/green olive brine is vinegar.

rosco35
Premium Member
USA

rosco35

Premium Member

Yes I do eat those foods..well except green olives..YUCK, but I still stand by my position that drinking PURE acetic acid would not be a good thing

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

D'OH - reread it for about the 5th time (or more) and now saw the pure part... sorry...

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to rosco35

to rosco35
Not all acids are created equal -- there are strong acids (normally inorganic) and weak or very weak acids. It's the strong ones that you usually need to worry about.

I can eat a nearly 100% pure ascorbic acid, or drink carbonic acid all day long.