how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mike31mets

join:2004-10-30
Bronx, NY

Static Shock

I don't know what's wrong with me or if it's something in the room but I am suffering from constant static shock. It's so bad that just today I saw the kind of sparks you're more likely to see when unplugging a power cable from an outlet. The sparks came from my finger just touching the wooden bed frame that had some metal on it. My bed is next to an electrical outlet which has my power adapter for my tabletpc connected generally if that helps any. I have no idea what's causing this. I do laundry every week. I have a small carpet on the living room but this has been happening since before that carpet. It happens to my roommate as well but not as bad. I even got static shock changing the light switch in the room. I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like I'm a human Static Shock. It happens touching my electrical equipment as well (tablet PC, mac mini, cell phone, external harddrive case), however none of those have been damaged because it's only hit the outer case of those items. I'm not sure if this is healthy either. I know nervous system has its own electrical impulses it releases constantly throughout the body and I don't know if the static messed around with that. Any ideas? Anyone ever been a similar situation? What should I be checking for in my room?

Jarmann
Will eat for food
Premium
join:2003-05-25

Static electricity is usually build up through the friction of your feet draggin on the floor. So I guess a pair of socks containing lots of those artificial threads..you know, polyamids, nylon and such would create more static than wool or cotton.
Well, that's my theory based on my own experiences.

Xterra2k
Sh Sh Sha

join:2000-06-27
Rogers, AR
reply to mike31mets

This can also happen during the colder parts of the year when the air is drier (lower humidity). I'm not sure there's much you can do about it this time of year other than to discharge the static periodically on a metal surface.
--
Everybody's responsible for something...

Stat Icshock

@rwoodbroadband.com
reply to mike31mets

said by mike31mets:

I don't know what's wrong with me or if it's something in the room but I am suffering from constant static shock. It's so bad that just today I saw the kind of sparks you're more likely to see when unplugging a power cable from an outlet. The sparks came from my finger just touching the wooden bed frame that had some metal on it. My bed is next to an electrical outlet which has my power adapter for my tabletpc connected generally if that helps any.
Are your sheets/blankets/comforter cotton or nylon? Did all of this start after you changed sheets, blankets, etc.?

Are you in an apartment or a private home? If the former, I wonder if the Super was messing with something that brought this on.

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

1 recommendation

reply to mike31mets

Find out what the relative humidity in your apartment is. Many cheap thermometers will do this.

If the humidity is below 30%, I would highly recommend getting a humidifier. Get the humidity to about 50-60% and the static should be greatly reduced.
--
There's no place like ::1.

Stat Icshock

@rwoodbroadband.com
reply to Xterra2k

said by Xterra2k:

This can also happen during the colder parts of the year when the air is drier (lower humidity). I'm not sure there's much you can do about it this time of year other than to discharge the static periodically on a metal surface.
One thing you can try is running a humidifier for a week or so and if that helps.

Some people in cold winter climes run a humidifier to help keep their skin from drying out during winter. If overly dry air brought on by winter is indeed that cause of your static problems, running a humidifier will introduce moisture into the air.

If you can't beg or borrow one, it sounds like it might be worthwhile to simply buy one in your case. I get a static shock when patronizing a particular store and it's really annoying. I can't imagine what it must be like to have such an effect following you around the house (especially when handling static-sensitive electronic items).

Stat Icshock

@rwoodbroadband.com
reply to koolman2

said by koolman2:

Find out what the relative humidity in your apartment is. Many cheap thermometers will do this.

If the humidity is below 30%, I would highly recommend getting a humidifier. Get the humidity to about 50-60% and the static should be greatly reduced.
Sorry, I wrote my earlier post before I saw yours. I didn't mean to duplicate your advice. [blushes]

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to mike31mets

This sounds silly but it really does work.
Keep a dryer sheet lying about. Every once in a while rub it between your hands. These things remove static from your clothes as they tumble in the dryer and they also reduce the static electricity in your body.
It won't remove the cause of the static electricity but it will stop/reduce your getting zapped.
--
See androids fighting Brad and Janet

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
reply to mike31mets

It depends on the clothes you wear, and on the coverings of sofas, etc. Some fabrics generate more static than others.
--
AT&T dsl; Westell 327w modem/router; SuSE 10.1; firefox 2.0.0.10

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to mike31mets

Humidifier - even at 40% humidity static will virtually be non-existant and it will make you place feel warmer at lower temps.
--
Brian

Free health care is 100% a misnomer - it is not free and never will be free.

TexasPlus
Don't Blame Me I Voted For The American
Premium
join:2004-06-16
Bedford, TX
reply to vaxvms

said by vaxvms:

This sounds silly but it really does work.
Keep a dryer sheet lying about. Every once in a while rub it between your hands. These things remove static from your clothes as they tumble in the dryer and they also reduce the static electricity in your body.
It won't remove the cause of the static electricity but it will stop/reduce your getting zapped.
I agree, it may help reduce the harmless static discharge. However at what cost? Go read all the warning messages on the dryer sheet package. Is it any wonder that the number of people suffering from allergies and chemical sensitivities has gone way up in the past few decades. The voluntary exposure to all sorts of chemicals is a major cause of health related problems, and people do it to themselves, and yet they wonder why so many today suffer allergies and cancer....DUH....
--
"The world is a book; those who do not travel read but a single page." -St. Augustine

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
reply to mike31mets

One of the many *annoyances* of winter.

You've never noticed this before?

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to mike31mets

Well room static will not hurt you and is "normal" during the winter months, you could have it more than your room-mate due to the shoes/socks you wear, how you walk, what you wash/dry your clothes with, lots of things. You will not hurt any of your "toys" unless you touch something on the inside, so always ground yourself first.

When drying your clothes and stuff use dryer sheets, get a humidifier, a fish tank, or just put containers of water out.
--
Everybody is some kind of Junkie (GODZ)

loli
Premium
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

1 recommendation

reply to mike31mets

Did someone call?

salahx

join:2001-12-03
Saint Louis, MO
reply to mike31mets

I wouldn't worry about health issues from static electricity. While the voltages may be high, the current is very low. However, I wouldn't try fixing any computers.

ninjatutle
Premium

join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA
reply to mike31mets

I have a brand of shoes that shocks the heck out of me. Kenneth Cole. When I wear others, I don't get shocked.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to mike31mets

It's a winter thing due to the lower humidity in the air. At work, it's terrible for me. I'll be on the phone - with a patient or an MD - and I'll have to get up to get the chart from the big metal cabinet and get a shock. I'm now automatically (subconsciously) touching the metal cabinet with my left pointer finger every time I approach it to discharge the electricity. This AM was a huge spark...it hurt a bit, and you could actually see the arc from the cabinet to my finger over an inch or so.
--
And so castles made of sand, slip into the sea, eventually.

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Telly Boot
Premium
join:2002-05-15
Vancouver, BC
reply to mike31mets

It's not common out here on the coast because of the humidity, but my wife's Grandma's apartment building is kept hot all year and has nylon carpets, so I used to get zapped when reaching out to touch a door handle at the metal fire doors. Now when I drop by there to do repairs or check in on her, I always carry my keys in my hand and let the spark arc from the keys to the metal handle, less painful that way. It can be as painful as a sparkplug zap.
--
Dawn,n,The time when men of reason go to bed. (Ambrose Bierce.)

i1me2ao
Premium
join:2001-03-03
TEXAS
reply to mike31mets

i feel you because i can see sparks also. a buddy of mine told me to grab door like a man and i did. he jumped when he saw the spark i created.
--
»www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Lone Wolf
Almost Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to mike31mets

said by mike31mets:

I don't know what's wrong with me or if it's something in the room but I am suffering from constant static shock. ,,,,,,,,,, snip ............ I'm not sure if this is healthy either. I know nervous system has its own electrical impulses it releases constantly throughout the body and I don't know if the static messed around with that. Any ideas? Anyone ever been a similar situation? What should I be checking for in my room?
»www.sciencemadesimple.com/static.html and »www.sciencemadesimple.com/elimin···ity.html will answer your questions.

Static Elimination Tips

Our expert in static electricity in the electronics industry suggests trying the following to get rid of static electricity problems in your home or office:

1) Increase the humidity in your house and workplace. Air is much drier in the winter, which increases the frequency and severity of shocks. Use a humidifier.

2) Change clothes - switch to natural fibers, since synthetics pick up more of a static charge.

3) Change shoes - there are special conductive shoes in a variety of styles. They are made for people working in the electronics industry. You will need to find a store or catalogue that sells or can order them for you. (Search online for "esd shoes")

4) If your skin is very dry - try an anti-static hand lotion (also available for the electronics industry.)

RX8

join:2004-07-18
Marietta, GA

1 edit
reply to mike31mets

said by mike31mets:

I don't know what's wrong with me or ....?
Like it's been said it is a "winter" thing where the lack of humidity plays a big factor.

Place I used to work, we had a lot of problem with static electricity when cold due to carpeting etc. Having a can of spray starch was very effective in reducing it--may want to try it.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
reply to mike31mets

that is nothing

my Static electricity is in 5 inch Arc
--
?

i1me2ao
Premium
join:2001-03-03
TEXAS
reply to mike31mets

also i use a bounce to wipe seats and door of vehicle and this has seemed to help some..
--
»www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Hazeleyze

join:2003-05-09
Wauseon, OH

It's fun when you pet the cat in the dark and see the sparks fly.

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ
reply to mike31mets

I used to HATE petting Crockett (in the winter) cos of the little shocks I would give him. I hope he (or other doggies etc knew that I didn't shock them on purpose.

ThatWasEasy

@comcast.net
reply to mike31mets

Here you go, only $12:

»www.target.com/Vicks-1-5-Gallon-···2874354/

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to mike31mets

When static is bad due to low humidity, I have learned to use my car keys. I grip the keys, then touch the door/handle/frame whatever with the keys. The discharge and spark will occur at the end of the key, and I get no shock.

onDvine
Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to mike31mets

said by mike31mets:

... Any ideas? ...
Wearing leather-soled shoes or slippers has helped with static problems here.
--
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle. Erin Majors

powerage66
Premium
join:2004-01-06
Seminole, FL
reply to mike31mets

I have been getting shocked a lot at work. It has been warm here, but there has been low humidity. I wear leather shoes with rubber soles. My pants, shirts and socks are cotton, and my ties are silk. I try to pick up my feet when I walk. I can't figure out why this is happening either. It just might be the carpet. Just make sure to touch your car before putting gas in the tank.

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA
reply to mike31mets

This happens to me quite a bit as well. Year round, even. It happens everywhere - at home, at work, getting out of the car, at costco, etc. It's very annoying.
--
flickr gallery
photo blog (rarely updated)