spc
Search similar:

uniqs

QC
@netc.net

QC

Anon

VOIP problem, intermittent no dial tone, NO HELP FROM ACANAC

I've been with Acanac for just under 30 days and I'm still having intermittent problems with the VOIP connection. I have a Linksys 2102 ATA connected BETWEEN the DSL modem and a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. This is the setup specified on the Acanac FAQ site and I also have configured the ATA using the VERY LITTLE information provided by Acanac. Generally everything works, but around once per week I have no dial tone. When this happens, both the "phone 1" and "phone 2" lights on the ATA go off. I can get it working again by either rebooting the ATA using its configuration panel or by unplugging and plugging it back in.

Linksys support says that it's a configuration problem so it's up to Acanac to support configuring it. Then Acanac sales (since Acanac won't provide verbal VOIP support - unbelievable!!) tells me they won't help with third party ATA's bought by their customers. Why in the world would the Acanac web site suggest buying your own ATA, provide a link to do so, and then turn around and say "We're not helping you configure it.".

I sent an e-mail request to Acanac support with screen shots of my ATA control panel pages. I'm not an expert, but if someone who is in the know could just look at my configuration settings something might jump right out. Well it's been 7 days now and no response from Acanac at all. Not even an acknowledgement.

Since Acanac ignores its customers, maybe someone else out there can help me. Has anyone else had a similar problem as the one I describe?

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

2 edits

Canaca

Premium Member

Acanac Inc.

Any ticket submitted to Acanac support automatically sends you back a tracking ID. You receive this ID within the first few minutes of sent the ticket. Can you please provide me with this ticket ID. Here are some instruction for Linksys units.
»faq.acanac.com/index.php ··· tlang=en

From your description is sounds like your loosing registration. Make sure your ATA is connected directly to your internet connection and that your internet is stable. You simply could be having internet issues that make you loose registration. You can try a few things, but in the end if it does not resolve your issues please request a full refund. Voip is not for everybody and some people just don't have stable enough internet connections. Acanac offers a money back guarantee so you have nothing to loose.

Best Regards,
Paul
»www.acanac.ca

QC
@netc.net

QC to QC

Anon

to QC

Re: VOIP problem, intermittent no dial tone, NO HELP FROM ACANAC

OK, I resent the support request and yes this time I got back a ticket tracking ID: TPI-34964.

Possibly the first time I sent the request I did so by replying to a previous support e-mail, which would explain why no new ticket was generated. But that still means that the support person to whom I replied ignored the message.

Yes the ATA is connected directly to the DSL modem. Yes I consulted your web page with the information on how to configure the ATA (a LONG time ago). Stable internet? I haven't had trouble surfing - is there some other way to qualify what a "stable" connection is?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

Canaca

Premium Member

An ATA will normally disconnect if it can not call home. The reason for this could be a slight drop in your internet connection The thing is that the ATA unit should try again within 30 seconds (or what ever your time limit has been set to) If your having to restart the ATA it means once registration fails the ATA never tries to connect again. You should login to your ATA and make sure are the settings are correct. You could also have a defective modem.

Best Regards,
Paul
Acanac Inc.

QC
@netc.net

QC to QC

Anon

to QC
Finally! Those are the kind of suggestions I'm looking for. I just want to clarify though:

You say: "If your having to restart the modem it means..."

In fact I'm getting it to work again by restarting the ATA. Is that what you meant?

You say: "You should login to your modem and make sure are the settings are correct. You could also have a defective modem".

Again, do you really mean log into the modem or the ATA?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

I was referring to the ATA. It has now been corrected. Every once in a while by chance when the ATA tries to call home it might time out. What should normally happen is that it tries again.