Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium Member
join:2003-02-20
Salisbury, NC
·Hotwire Communic..

Chiyo

Premium Member

So why do the rates keep rising and rising? This is unfair and the customer doesn't have a say in this.

Many people don't have another option and if they need / want HSI they must go with these greedy ISPs.

Anyone want to start an ISP of VPNs or something? just use my HSI account to tunnel into another network and do what I want with all my privacy intact?

I know severla people will yell "USE TOR" but in my opinion Tor SUCKS too much damn work and slows down my surfing.
wentlanc
You Can't Fix Dumb..
join:2003-07-30
Maineville, OH

1 recommendation

wentlanc to Chris 313

to Chris 313
Bingo. I will NEVER click them, so I will block them. The net effect to websites who rely on advertising $$ == 0.

cw

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to Chiyo

Premium Member

to Chiyo
said by Chiyo:

I know severla people will yell "USE TOR" but in my opinion Tor SUCKS too much damn work and slows down my surfing.
Very true. Perhaps what we need is a grass-roots consumer user movement to enhance the tor network. If we all give up just a little bit of bandwidth, we could, as a community of interest, make NebuAd as well as illegal government surveillance irrelevant.

Bob
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to Chris 313

to Chris 313
Can you say how do you fight the tide ?

Ad block plus only works if you know the ip. With this equipment they can forge the packets and make ads from a different ip every time. Not to mention they can use the devices ip or another ip from say I dunno the gateway of your head end or cloud and you don't allow ads you don't get on the web.

Pretty crafty devices.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to wentlanc

to wentlanc
said by wentlanc:

Bingo. I will NEVER click them, so I will block them. The net effect to websites who rely on advertising $$ == 0.

cw
Net effect is that you are still freeloading and using bandwith. Bandwith isn't free Einstien. It's people that use adblock is why we stupid crap like this coming along. on day most of the internet will belike cable and you'll have to subscribe to every site you want to visit. Thanks Adblockers.

jgkolt
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

bf i think you are missing the point. We don't want isp's injecting ads where the content creators didn't design them to be. Granite we dont want them at all but this new technique for adding ads to a page is sneaky and almost adaware ish.
wentlanc
You Can't Fix Dumb..
Maineville, OH

1 recommendation

wentlanc to 88615298

to 88615298
If I never visit your site, and never click on your ad, then perhaps you can explain how I'm freeloading?

You're right, bandwidth is not free. I'm paying for mine. Why do you expect me to pay for yours? If you can't turn a profit, then go out of business. I'm not obligated to support you.

cw
dualsub2006
join:2007-07-18
Newport, KY

dualsub2006 to BosstonesOwn

to BosstonesOwn
Adblock would likely let it past, but NoScript won't if you configure it right. They can collect all of my browsing habits that they want as I'll never see their ads.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to wentlanc

Premium Member

to wentlanc
said by wentlanc:

You're right, bandwidth is not free. I'm paying for mine. Why do you expect me to pay for yours? If you can't turn a profit, then go out of business. I'm not obligated to support you.

cw
Funny this is the same logic (or lack thereof) used by
spammers to justify flooding our email with their crap.
wentlanc
You Can't Fix Dumb..
Maineville, OH

1 recommendation

wentlanc

Not at all. I'm not trying to profit from anyone, and I'm only using bandwidth of websites that are making themselves available. Good try though.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

... Net effect is that you are still freeloading and using bandwith. Bandwith isn't free Einstien. ...
Freeloading? What utter stupid nonsense! I pay dearly for my bandwidth! You get it free? Your bandwidth is paid for by advertising? What ISP do you use? I would love to know. I would gladly see adverts if I got a rebate on my bandwidth charges...

Einstein? More like dumbfkof!

Get real!

Bob
TamaraB

TamaraB to dualsub2006

Premium Member

to dualsub2006
said by dualsub2006:

... NoScript won't if you configure it right. They can collect all of my browsing habits that they want as I'll never see their ads.
Not so! You allow scripts here on dslr, if not, you can't use the "tools". So, a script comes to your browser, with an advert, it is forged to look like it came from dslr, you WILL see it ... there is no way to stop this!

Bob
TamaraB

TamaraB to Doctor Four

Premium Member

to Doctor Four
said by Doctor Four:

Funny this is the same logic (or lack thereof) used by spammers to justify flooding our email with their crap.
Wrong! It's the exact opposite! Spammers are stealing and riding the bandwidth which WE pay for to flood us with their adverts and wares. I pay my ISP for bandwidth, and spammers are using my paid resources to force ads on me.

This is exactly what this system is attempting to do. They are not any different than the spammers. You got it exactly backwards.

Bob