Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode

Re: Ads?

said by Karl Bode:

Technically no that's not what they're doing......
OK, so here I am surfing DSLR, the article states that NebuAd will "target" ads to me. How is that possible, unless they alter packets to my "established (Cisco-Speak)" connection with DSLR?

Bob

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

The ads are delivered in much the same way traditional banner ads are now -- the ads themselves are just targeted more specifically to your interests. In other words the DPI hardware should be able to notice you're interested in Hawaii and SUVs as opposed to the Virgin Islands and compact cars, and the ads you see will reflect this.

It's not really ad delivery that's changing, it's anonymized customer surveillance that's evolving. Again, I think there's plenty of problems here too, but NebuAD is not injecting ads over the top of existing content.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by Karl Bode:

The ads are delivered in much the same way traditional banner ads are now -- the ads themselves are just targeted more specifically to your interests.
I understand how my interests are captured. NebuAD is using DPI instead of cookies, that's clear.

It's not really ad delivery that's changing, it's anonymized customer surveillance that's evolving. Again, I think there's plenty of problems here too, but NebuAD is not injecting ads over the top of existing content.
Call me dense (because I often am), but!!! Let's say I run a site, and have contracted with an advert firm (like google's AdSense) to place ads on my site. How can NebuAD control the ad content my users see without becoming a "man in the middle"?? Don't forget, NebuAD contracts with ISPs, not content providers.

Bob
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Problem here is the isp owns the stream.

Just like Sandvine , they can forge tcp packets with DPI , it depends on how crafty they get.

I think Karl is making these devices a little nicer then they really are. And I am sure they didn't give him decent details so I don't blame him.

With DPI they can pick off a packet destined for say google. You searched for dog leashes, they will not instead of showing you the ads from google intercept and send you off to another ad. They will tack their ads onto googles.

Nice knowing this , however these devices can forge packets as well. So now they can see you blocked an ad of theirs, and go and inject a redirection on the fly so you think the ads are from google , but are being served up via a redirection from their local ad server.

I have to do this at work a lot to keep people off youtube and other sites like it. It is wrong but it's a place of business. These folks are doing the same on a isp that we pay for , not nice.

Karl Bode
News Guy

Karl Bode

News Guy

quote:
I think Karl is making these devices a little nicer then they really are.
Certainly not my intent. The potential for abuse here is vast. But injection over the top of existing advertising relationships is not happening - yet.

I'd bet you're 100% correct that ultimately Ad-blocking applications are targeted and conquered.

I also am consistently annoyed that providers whine about funding upgrades and p2p users when they're consistently finding these new revenue streams without lowering prices.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to BosstonesOwn

MVM

to BosstonesOwn
said by BosstonesOwn:

Just like Sandvine , they can forge tcp packets with DPI , it depends on how crafty they get.
Puking out a copy of a captured packet with the RST bit set to 1 and injecting viable content into an existing TCP session and having it properly render are completely different scenarios.

You're talking about the difference between building a paper airplane and building a space shuttle. To do the ad injection you would have to pass all port-80 traffic through content engines which could adjust the composition of the layer7 data to ensure proper rendering by web browsers.
SpaethCo

SpaethCo to Karl Bode

MVM

to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

I also am consistently annoyed that providers whine about funding upgrades and p2p users when they're consistently finding these new revenue streams without lowering prices.
I'm not sure that's entirely correct.

Comcast, for example, hasn't raised prices in at least the last 6 years, meanwhile inflation has marched on. If you adjust for inflation then the price does indeed go down each year, and speeds have increased from 1.5/3mbps to 6/8mbps over that same period.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

I would suspect some of that non-price-increase has been borne by cable TV subs. They are not prohibited from cross-subsidy.

Karl Bode
News Guy

Karl Bode

News Guy

$40-50 VoIP helps too I'm sure.