spc
Search similar:

uniqs
patspub
join:2005-02-10
Philadelphia, PA

patspub

Philadelphia Updates???

Will there be any channel additions tomorrow(2/14) in Philly? What about those I-guide new features we never got.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

nothing until 2009
JamesDax
join:2001-02-24
Philadelphia, PA

JamesDax

I'm sorry... WHAT???!!!!

That can't be right. You're just joking right?

wbub
@208.17.34.x

wbub to patspub

Anon

to patspub
3/18

New HD launches: History, Animal Planet, Discovery, USA, Sci-Fi, TLC, CNN & AMC

i'm not 100% positive but it seems like it so far
patspub
Philadelphia, PA

patspub

Nothing new at all here in NE/Philly today.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to patspub

MVM

to patspub
Gee maybe Comcast should take some of that higher profit they made and return some of those dollars into your systems to get them up to 2008 technology!

»Comcast Posts Higher Profit [36] comments

I feel bad for you guys, and yet Philly is Comcast's home town! Never forget your home!

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to wbub

Premium Member

to wbub
said by wbub :

3/18

New HD launches: History, Animal Planet, Discovery, USA, Sci-Fi, TLC, CNN & AMC

i'm not 100% positive but it seems like it so far
And where are you getting this info from?

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Get More HD My Way!

For all you Philly folks, do what I did this past Sunday.

Install a DirecTV dish and supplement Comcast's offering with DirecTV's full HD portfolio!

wbub
@208.17.34.x

wbub to patspub

Anon

to patspub

Re: Philadelphia Updates???

(Channel 217) History HD
(Channel 221) CNN HD
(Channel 222) USA HD
(Channel 224) DSC HD
(Channel 225) TLC HD
(Channel 226) Sci-Fi HD
(Channel 230) APL HD
(Channel 238) AMC HD

These are the respective channels when the new channel are launched...

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

AMC HD, are you serious?

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

2 edits

SeattleMatt to wbub

Premium Member

to wbub
I never knew AMC was even in HD?

Nice - lets put black and white movies in high-def!

Wbub-
Your channel # mappings do make sense though..and seem to match other area's alignment.

And 3/18 is a Tuesday. The usual channel rollout day.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by SeattleMatt:

I never knew AMC was even in HD?

Nice - lets put black and white movies in high-def!
Right, now THERES a channel you can use to squeeze 3 HD's on one QAM. Heck, squeeze 4 HD's on one QAM while your adding stuff like that.
stoli412
join:2003-02-12
SK3 9JR

stoli412 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

AMC HD, are you serious?
Actually AMC has this FANTASTIC show called Mad Men that's HD. They had the HD version On Demand a couple months back.

»www.amctv.com:80/origina ··· /madmen/

So if they are adding AMC HD at least there will be actual HD content on it unlike some of the others (eg TBS).

AMC rarely plays classic black and white films anymore....that's mainly left to TCM now. That being said classic films that are restored and presented in HD are incredible. It can make you fall in love with them all over again!
patspub
Philadelphia, PA

patspub to wbub

to wbub
wbub-How do u know that Philly is receiving these channels?

wbub
@208.17.34.x

wbub to patspub

Anon

to patspub
last lil bit of info...

As long as you're in the Philly Metro Region you will receive the new HD channels on 3/18/08 (hopefully..i'm like 90% sure)

Unlike the last HD channels addition, the whole Philly Metro Region will receive the new additions on the same day. So those in Chester County will get it on the same day as well. Oh, and New Castle County too.

If you live in the city and reside in an MDU...you'll have to wait till 4/08/08 to get these channels, plus the other HD additions missed around last year around september. So that's around 10 HD channels total.
ak3883
join:2005-08-20
Marlton, NJ

1 edit

ak3883 to patspub

to patspub
Thanks for the info wbub, hope this goes through!

No weather channel HD, I think that would be the only one missing that Comcast has an agreement with? At least we won't expect that for another 4 months at least, since it has been 4 months since the last batch was added, ugh
JamesDax
join:2001-02-24
Philadelphia, PA

JamesDax to patspub

to patspub
I hope this is all true. When is BSG's season suposed to start??

kryptonian
join:2005-09-14
Philadelphia, PA

kryptonian to wbub

to wbub
said by wbub :

(Channel 217) History HD
(Channel 221) CNN HD
(Channel 222) USA HD
(Channel 224) DSC HD
(Channel 225) TLC HD
(Channel 226) Sci-Fi HD
(Channel 230) APL HD
(Channel 238) AMC HD

Oh goodness, ill be in complete euphoria if this comes to pass.

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
New York, NY

sansri88 to patspub

Premium Member

to patspub
BTW does this apply to South NJ as well or just Philly?

kryptonian
join:2005-09-14
Philadelphia, PA

2 edits

kryptonian

Figured id give it a shot and call customer service to inquire about those channels. I didnt ask about all the channels that were listed here (at that moment, I had forgotten a few of them) I asked about SCI-FI, USA and CNN HD channels. I was told that these channels were in fact coming! I almost had to slap myself out of disbelief.
ak3883
Marlton, NJ

ak3883 to wbub

to wbub
said by wbub :

(Channel 217) History HD
(Channel 221) CNN HD
(Channel 222) USA HD
(Channel 224) DSC HD
(Channel 225) TLC HD
(Channel 226) Sci-Fi HD
(Channel 230) APL HD
(Channel 238) AMC HD

This would put Philly with 34, and right up there with Boston and Chicago for having all the HD channels.

They haven't announced any movement of analogs yet, we only have 2 QAM slots open(87&88). I hope they aren't planning on squeezing 3 or 4 onto one slot. Even with 3 they still need another slot.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Don't you have any free spectrum available post 750 MHz?

Some systems reliably transmit out to 771 MHz (Ch slot 121).

They moved the Sports stuff like MLB/NHL Game channels to Ch 117 and 118 in my area recently. They used to be on 87 and 88.

Didn't they move some DS stuff from the 70's or 80's to the 20's in your area? Like 26-1 through 26-12?

wbub
@208.17.34.x

wbub to patspub

Anon

to patspub
3:1 compression MUXes 1-7

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
New York, NY

sansri88

Premium Member

3:1 compression? Is that standard practice across Comcast territory now?

I would rather wait for SDV than go to 3:1 compression, I hear bad things about it.
ak3883
Marlton, NJ

1 edit

ak3883 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Don't you have any free spectrum available post 750 MHz?

Some systems reliably transmit out to 771 MHz (Ch slot 121).

They moved the Sports stuff like MLB/NHL Game channels to Ch 117 and 118 in my area recently. They used to be on 87 and 88.

Didn't they move some DS stuff from the 70's or 80's to the 20's in your area? Like 26-1 through 26-12?
We have weatherscan(analog) on 120, and that's as high as they push my system. Actually weatherscan is on TWO analogs, the other is in the 110's somewhere. Hopefully they get rid of that(although it's cool to see my 15 year old TV in my bedroom get ch 120!) One of the sports packs is on 119. They moved what was on 87-88(DS'ed plain cable channels, 12 each slot, some in-the-clear) down to 26 and 27, which used to be crappy independant stations, or nothing. They kept the same subchannel mappings and encryption. I don't think there are any holes left in the 20's.

I'll take another scan around when I get home, something might have changed, but I think the only holes are 87 and 88. I hope they don't put these on 3:1, that's really gonna kill the quality. The new HD channels that are MPEG4 on directv probably look better than 3:1 compression on cable! Unless they successfully implement some new compression technologies, which I did read Comcast is working on with providers, but I didn't think it was ready to be implemented yet and still in testing.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Sounds like they can remove the two analog Weatherscan channels and you guys will have the room for the above mentioned HD's.

Our system is 750 MHz and now they go up to 759 Mhz. There's another smaller MSO here that is also 750 MHz and they go up to 771 MHz, much like your system. This gives me great hope that there's still a little breathing room left on our system here in Reading.
patspub
Philadelphia, PA

patspub to ak3883

to ak3883
Can someone explain why I don't see any channels above 100 when I view with the cable directly attached to my "ANT1" jack. I have 2001 projection TV. The last channel I receive is channel 99 here in NE/Philly. Nothing in 100 range.

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
New York, NY

sansri88

Premium Member

Caz those channels above 100 are encrypted + digital, and you need either:
A) CableCard
B) STB

You may pick up a few channels here and there if you have a QAM tuner, but that's about it. To get them all you need CC or STB.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

cypherstream to patspub

MVM

to patspub
Sometimes a high analog channel is only there for band edge signal readouts. ak3883 is served by a hub which is using Weatherscan local on Ch 120 to get band edge signal readings. I know in Pottstown, PA Weatherscan was on Ch 120 in analog IIRC.

Some hubs are already certified out to a certain frequency. Some use a digital test signal, and some use a continuous wave modulation (only readable by meter).

My system is spec'd out to Ch 118 at the moment. But who's to say their's not a continuous wave carrier on Ch 120 that techs use to balance or measure overloading performance. I wouldn't know, it's not something a TV or digital cable box would see.
ak3883
Marlton, NJ

ak3883 to patspub

to patspub
80 is a very weak WTXF!?!? No audio, snow, and black and white. 98 is analog garbage patterns, not sure if they can use that cause it's too close to 97?

49,72,87,88,112 are open. 113 and 120 have analog weatherscan, so those could be made availible too.

More room than I thought!