join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER

ADSL2, bonding, market areas, CLEC and kitchen sink

Instead of starting a few threads....

I was wondering if the new ASDL2 service needs to have your own equipment in the CO? I think I read that already. I Was thinking that must be pretty interesting to sit back and think... "where do we go next?" now that you are starting to pwn Santa Rosa.

I was reading up a little in the blog »dane.users.sonic.net/blog/ on the bonding stuff and frankly... that gives me much geek desire. Is that going to be something that will be affordable to the mere mortal... or at least a geek willing to pay more than he really should to have the big pipe?

Your CLEC good for the whole state right? You can now make the move on any city you want... say like Pleasant Hill for example? Hmmm... maybe I should also keep the name Martinez getting some air time since I have a Martinez prefix even though I live right over the border in Martinez. That being the case (I have 925-228 prefix from Martinez) does that mean that my services come from the Martinez CO even though I live in Pleasant Hill? I live about 5 miles away from the Martinez CO but I sure get great speeds here with my Extreme account.
--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9
Yup - for each area we're serving, we've got to lease space in the CO and build our own racks and populate them with power equipment, DSLAMs and routers. The cost is roughly $50,000 to $100,000 per central office.

In the near term we're building many of the Sonoma County central offices:

Santa Rosa (two offices)
Petaluma
Sebastopol
Healdsburg
Windsor
Forestville (tiny town, but well situated CO and good competitive situation)

Notably the Cotati, Rohnert Park and Sonoma COs are not on this list. The reason is that the COs are far, far away from the population centers, so even if we're in them, there are very few people who would be within range of the product.

All of San Francisco is also in the road map - nine COs there.

Then, a bit of a surprise - we've completed our analysis and found that Santa Cruz, Berkeley and Albany are all very good potential markets, and we'll be building these as well.

The sum of this will bring us to 20 COs, and probably keep us busy for nine months or so. After that, we'll see how it's going and make decisions from there!

As for pricing of the bonded product, all of the product pricing is still being designed. The business product pricing will come out first, likely in the next week or so. The consumer ADSL2+ products will probably have pricing released in 30 days, give or take.

-Dane

Forever

@thresholdent.com
reply to Veloslave
I'm happy to see Santa Cruz on the list of towns that will be getting an upgrade.

Will this be both COs in Santa Cruz or just one of them?

If I can I will be signing up the day this goes live.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Veloslave
And some in san jose?

Maybe phase II.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to Forever
said by Forever :

I'm happy to see Santa Cruz on the list of towns that will be getting an upgrade.

Will this be both COs in Santa Cruz or just one of them?

If I can I will be signing up the day this goes live.
Both Santa Cruz COs are planned for deployment.

Sorry, San Jose isn't on the list - it's sprawling, and thus difficult to serve economically.

-Dane

Forever1

join:2002-01-13
Santa Cruz, CA
reply to Veloslave
Thanks for the replay Dane.
--
Moo

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to DaneJasper
said by DaneJasper:

Sorry, San Jose isn't on the list - it's sprawling, and thus difficult to serve economically.
I know. Currently your offering is "better" then comcast, which is faster yet with invisible caps, but not static IPs (unless you pay some crazy business tier price for 1 static ip) and obviously the same speed as AT&T, since it's their loop you're selling me.

I guess I'll have to move to Santa Cruz. Finally, a good reason to move!

Yeah, not. Ah well, once again bypassed by the 21st century because I live in the heart of silicon valley.

Well, at least I got to help fund you when you were just getting started
--

dodgemedia

join:2005-05-28
Fairfield, CA
reply to DaneJasper
How about the CO in cordelia???

xan_user

join:2004-11-18
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to DaneJasper
said by DaneJasper:

Santa Rosa (two offices)
Petaluma
Sebastopol
Healdsburg
Windsor
Forestville (tiny town, but well situated CO and good competitive situation)
Is that in order installation? i.e. how long for windsor?

The folks in the boonies of Fo-ville will be lovin it!

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA
The order is likely to be Sonoma County and East Bay cities all pretty much around the same time, then SF and Santa Cruz to follow. Each one takes time to deploy, integrate and test, so it won't be all at once, and the specific per-city order isn't known yet.

-Dane

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to dodgemedia
said by dodgemedia:

How about the CO in cordelia???
Based only upon the overhead photo at maps.google.com, I would say that Cordelia is not the type of location that's likely to see these products. Sorry!

The criteria are density, customer proximity to the central office (which is sometimes related to density, but other times affected by really odd telco cable routing), and our current customer count in the market.

Berkeley, Albany and Santa Cruz are all examples of markets with very high density and low cable lengths - the reason is the same - both are sandwiched between the bay or ocean and the mountains. This creates a dense population center without any sprawl.

-Dane

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to Veloslave
What other company can you have cool conversations with the big guy himself on a regular basis? Sure is refreshing to see such candidness instead of the usual smoke and mirror BS you get from every other company out there.

I don't know about Santa Cruz John... I think I would go with Santa Rosa for the digit change... fat pipes and crash the Sonic office parties
--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA
said by Veloslave:

I don't know about Santa Cruz John... I think I would go with Santa Rosa for the digit change... fat pipes and crash the Sonic office parties
We had one tonight - took 150 people out to see "Jumper". Not a great flick, but it was fun.

I try to limit the BS as much as possible.

-Dane

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to Veloslave
said by Veloslave:

Yeah, but there are crazier people in Cruz...

Its frustrating to see stuff get rolled out around you...

Hey, at least comcrap upgraded our cable service a few years ago from the old A/B system they must have wired up in the 70s. Woohoo!

Good luck with the upgrades. They sound fantastic.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to DaneJasper
said by DaneJasper:

Heh. Downtown isn't.
--
STFU & RTFM | Iraq Coalition Deaths | bobrk

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by bobrk:

said by DaneJasper:

Heh. Downtown isn't.
Yep, but I think we'll not see it from sonic, sadly. Really bad to have to hope AT&T has a usable offering, isn't it. I just cannot bring myself to consider the horror of going to AT&T.
--

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to Veloslave
We got a staff member home up with pair bonded ADSL2+ today. Up and running at 30Mbps down, 1.5Mbps up, at a bit over a mile of loop length. Very cool to see!

-Dane

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA
New blog entry on this topic:

»corp.sonic.net/blog/2008/02/22/3···s-house/

-Dane

billern

join:2003-01-22
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to DaneJasper
said by DaneJasper:

We got a staff member home up with pair bonded ADSL2+ today. Up and running at 30Mbps down, 1.5Mbps up, at a bit over a mile of loop length. Very cool to see!

I'm speechless.

m3thuDmaN

join:2006-05-04
Redwood City, CA
reply to Veloslave
This is pretty exciting Dane I hope everything goes great for you guys. If you can say, what do you think are the chances of us Sonic customers in the SF Peninsula seeing this in the near future?

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA
said by m3thuDmaN:

This is pretty exciting Dane I hope everything goes great for you guys. If you can say, what do you think are the chances of us Sonic customers in the SF Peninsula seeing this in the near future?
Our Santa Rosa market was launched today with business products first, residential to follow.

For additional cities, we'll be covering most of Sonoma County, and San Francisco. Berkeley and Albany are likely, as is Santa Cruz. These will keep us busy for six to twelve months, I'd guess.

-Dane

Kniveton

join:2001-09-20
San Francisco, CA
reply to Veloslave
Don't you have some problems with bandwidth ratios of 30 Mb down : 1.5 Mb up? That's 20:1, whereas my current DSL has a ratio of 2:1.

Tom415

@76.191.195.x
reply to Veloslave
How about Marin county? San Anselmo to be specific. Will you be offering the service here? Thanks!

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA
At this point, we've selected roughly 20 COs for initial deployment. That'll keep us busy for six to nine months - then at that point, we'll be better able to assess our success and decide where else we may go.

-Dane

jhloaded

join:2008-03-25
Pleasanton, CA
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this technology in the Pleasanton area at a nice price point some day without relying on AT&T.

I'm going on Day 11 of no Sonic DSL service after moving to a 2 bedroom in the same complex. The only reason: Waiting for AT&T to make some equipment change at the CO. Absolutely ridiculous that we have to depend on that worthless company.

Snypes

join:2003-12-29
Santa Rosa, CA
Just an FYI, our ordering department mailed you today with a due date for your service. Please do check your Sonic.net email!

jhloaded

join:2008-03-25
Pleasanton, CA
Just saw that this morning when I got into the office. So AT&T can actually complete work. It's a miracle! Thanks for the heads up Snypes.
--
Thank you,
Jeremy H

highhatsize
Norm, The Basset For All Time
Premium
join:2001-02-08
Spring, TX
reply to Veloslave
I know that I, personally,could not be more excited about ASDL2 bonded pairs if there were actually some possibility that it would work for me. It won't, although on an aerial map I am within a mile of either of two COs, AT&T has managed to loop its cable so that I am two miles away by wire.

However, one academic question that has been conspicuously absent in the discussion of residential use is: "How much will it cost?"

I realize that the service has not even been launched yet, but could we have a ballpark estimate. For instance, will 8/1 service cost more than $40/mo.?

--
Cordially, SANFRANSON

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA
We haven't set residential retail pricing yet, sorry!

-Dane

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by DaneJasper:

We haven't set residential retail pricing yet, sorry!
If comcast figures out how to offer static IPs and continues to push speeds up, it could be too little too late. Of course, we're talking comcast - two hands and a flashlight, I doubt they could find their own static IP.
--