Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper to m3thuDmaN

Premium Member

to m3thuDmaN

Re: ADSL2, bonding, market areas, CLEC and kitchen sink

said by m3thuDmaN:

This is pretty exciting Dane I hope everything goes great for you guys. If you can say, what do you think are the chances of us Sonic customers in the SF Peninsula seeing this in the near future?
Our Santa Rosa market was launched today with business products first, residential to follow.

For additional cities, we'll be covering most of Sonoma County, and San Francisco. Berkeley and Albany are likely, as is Santa Cruz. These will keep us busy for six to twelve months, I'd guess.

-Dane

Kniveton
join:2001-09-20
San Francisco, CA

Kniveton to Veloslave

to Veloslave
Don't you have some problems with bandwidth ratios of 30 Mb down : 1.5 Mb up? That's 20:1, whereas my current DSL has a ratio of 2:1.

Tom415
@76.191.195.x

Tom415 to Veloslave

Anon

to Veloslave
How about Marin county? San Anselmo to be specific. Will you be offering the service here? Thanks!

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

At this point, we've selected roughly 20 COs for initial deployment. That'll keep us busy for six to nine months - then at that point, we'll be better able to assess our success and decide where else we may go.

-Dane
jhloaded
join:2008-03-25
Pleasanton, CA

jhloaded

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this technology in the Pleasanton area at a nice price point some day without relying on AT&T.

I'm going on Day 11 of no Sonic DSL service after moving to a 2 bedroom in the same complex. The only reason: Waiting for AT&T to make some equipment change at the CO. Absolutely ridiculous that we have to depend on that worthless company.

Snypes
join:2003-12-29
Santa Rosa, CA

Snypes

Just an FYI, our ordering department mailed you today with a due date for your service. Please do check your Sonic.net email!
jhloaded
join:2008-03-25
Pleasanton, CA

jhloaded

Just saw that this morning when I got into the office. So AT&T can actually complete work. It's a miracle! Thanks for the heads up Snypes.

highhatsize
Norm, The Basset For All Time
Premium Member
join:2001-02-08
Madison, WI

highhatsize to Veloslave

Premium Member

to Veloslave
I know that I, personally,could not be more excited about ASDL2 bonded pairs if there were actually some possibility that it would work for me. It won't, although on an aerial map I am within a mile of either of two COs, AT&T has managed to loop its cable so that I am two miles away by wire.

However, one academic question that has been conspicuously absent in the discussion of residential use is: "How much will it cost?"

I realize that the service has not even been launched yet, but could we have a ballpark estimate. For instance, will 8/1 service cost more than $40/mo.?

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

We haven't set residential retail pricing yet, sorry!

-Dane

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by DaneJasper:

If comcast figures out how to offer static IPs and continues to push speeds up, it could be too little too late. Of course, we're talking comcast - two hands and a flashlight, I doubt they could find their own static IP.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

said by DaneJasper:

If comcast figures out how to offer static IPs and continues to push speeds up, it could be too little too late. Of course, we're talking comcast - two hands and a flashlight, I doubt they could find their own static IP.
I think it's clear that there will be a lot of change in the next few years. There will be lots of various products available in different locations. I anticipate that we'll have some areas with significant competitive pressure, and others where we're the fastest game in town.

The big shift here is from a "me too" product (1.5, 3.0 and 6.0Mbps DSL), to a set of products and services that are differentiated from what others are doing. We're in the driver's seat, so we can be as innovative as possible.

For example, one item I'm imagining being a popular product in the future is a pair bonded ADSL2+ product where each of the two pairs delivers a different voice line. So, you'd have a primary voice line (with voicemail and such), and a second line - and perhaps the choice that it's a home office line (with voicemail) or a FAX line. The bundle could include both these lines, plus the bonded data across the two.

Lots of interesting possibilities.

-Dane

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by DaneJasper:

The big shift here is from a "me too" product (1.5, 3.0 and 6.0Mbps DSL), to a set of products and services that are differentiated from what others are doing. We're in the driver's seat, so we can be as innovative as possible.
Yep, I agree (and have been a customer since 2004 when sonic was pretty much the only real choice for knowledgeable DSL reseller with static IPs, because that's an attitude I can get behind...)

My fear with all DSL is that in the end, it still runs over that horrible copper loop from the 1900s. In my case, the 1950s - I'm on the last pair available to me since the other pair went out in 2002, and this pair's not all that great either (failed in the big storm this spring, but was cleaned up thankfully after a week of frantic calls to AT&T.) Some of us are unfortunately living in places you're not going to be expanding any of this innovation into.... we're stuck with whatever AT&T will let you rebrand. It makes us alternately grumpy and sad, depending on the day.

Keep kicking butt. You're my only hope.