spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Wireman121

@optonline.net

Wireless A/B/G/N router?

I have finally given up on my Linksys WRT55AG router. The thing resets constantly and it doesnt look like Linksys is planning on supporting or releasing firmware for this router anymore.

I am looking to puchase a router that is capable of supporting A/B/G/N all in one. Linksys doesnt make one, has anyone has luck finding one of these?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

You mean A/B/G/Draft-N

I would avoid N for now.
More importantly, what are your requirements and uses.
Routers don't provide answers, but needs do!

Wireman121

@optonline.net
reply to Wireman121

Well Draft-N should be firmware upgradable to the final N shouldnt it?

Anyway, I am looking to replace my WRT55AG router with something that is the same. It is a shame that Linksys cant fix this thing, no 3rd party firmware either.

I was really looking for A/B/G/Draft-N router, just so I can cover all of the frequencies for any future computer upgrades I may get....I dont have any specific requirements/uses except for definately needing a reliable A/B/G router

Tom Blue

join:2007-09-17
MN, USA

said by Wireman121 :

Not necessarily. You'd need to get that commitment from the manufacturer as a guarantee.

stevech0

join:2006-09-17
San Diego, CA

1 edit
reply to Wireman121

do you NEED 11a?

I second the motion that the price premium of draft-N is not worth it.

If I needed 11a, I'd get a decent but disposable 11g w-router and add an 11a access point. Maybe a used pro grade one from eBay (Cisco, or other).

I have used DD-WRT on my venerable WRT54G v2 for a long time. works well. My WRH54 w-router works very well and fits the $39 disposable criteria. I don't consider a $200+ product disposable (due to fast obsolescence).

A better approach is to buy a wired-only router with the functions you want. Then add WiFi access points (or consumer w-routers faked as access points). Then your rat's nest of cat5 cables at the router aren't constraining where you place the antennas.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Concur with StevO
That way you are not restricted in your Radio/AP location being bound to the location of the router.

If you prefer that, then suggest the zywall 2WG which is an A or G/B (not both at the same time) firewall VPN router with lots of features. No info though on wifi performance.
Its other advantage is cellular wan backup.

If it was me I would get a zywall 2plus and then as steve suggests add an AP zyxel NWA 3160/3163, or a wifi router as an AP. The Zyxel P330W, for example was on sale for $11 after rebates at bestbuy.com
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

prestonlewis
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-13
Sacramento, CA
reply to Wireman121

said by Wireman121 :

Only software upgradeable, not hardware upgradeable. The first draft N requires at least 100mbps wireless transmission. Most pre-n are meeting that goal, although a few are downin the 80mbps area. Draft 2 requires at least 200mbps throughput and it's being accomplished by hardware tweaks (3 or more antennas plus internal hardware tweaks) AND software tweaking to speed things along. Buy a draft 1 pre-n router and they'll probably provide firmware at some point that is the same as draft 2 but they'll never be able to go back and make the hardware changes that any draft 2 pre-n router has.

I am not familiar with any pre-n product that also supports wireless A so I'd recommend:

If you can't wait: Get a nice quality pre-n router on sale. Suggesting a model usually results in arguing. D-Link works for me, Linksys works for someone else, someone else claims Netgear is the worst thing ever seen on the planet, etc. Everyone has their own likes/dislikes and no single model will please everyone. So buy your own pre-n router brand on sale. Secondly, get the Linksys A/B/G access point that under $50 (I forget the model number but it's not hard to find any A product).

If you CAN wait pre N: Supposedly this summer things will be settled with a real N specification, no drafts. Wait until then and just get an inexpensive A/B/G router (look at eBay for hints).

Good luck.

dc_knicks

@pldt.net
reply to Wireman121

actually linksys had already released the N series routers, try to check the WRT160N, and WRT310N...try to see these routers so cool..try visiting this site, www.linksys.com/support
newr models, newer looks, newr support, great experience!

prestonlewis
Premium,MVM
Sacramento, CA

1 edit
reply to Wireman121

OK. Found a N/G/B/A router:

»shop3.outpost.com/product/544498···_RSLT_PG

It's the Linksys WRT600N which features both the 2.4ghz bands (G/B) and the 5ghz bands (wireless A), has multiple antenna (3? looking at the pic), is a gigabit router, and has USB ports for network storage or whatever you want to use it for (print server, etc.).

Pricey at $200+ but it does have just about everything.

Good luck.

Found another N/G/B/A router:

»shop3.outpost.com/product/544573···_RSLT_PG

D-Link DGL-4500 Xtreme N Gaming Router
Also pricey and I worry about the word "or" when it states use either 2.4ghz "or" 5ghz. Make sure it uses both at one time if you're interested in this one.

prestonlewis
Premium,MVM
Sacramento, CA
reply to dc_knicks

said by dc_knicks :

actually linksys had already released the N series routers, try to check the WRT160N, and WRT310N...try to see these routers so cool..try visiting this site, www.linksys.com/support
Partially true from my knowledge. Since the N standard has not been finalized, any N router you buy is actually a "draft n" or a "draft 2 n". A lot of manufacturers have released "N" routers but they are all "pre-n". The question everyone has and a major reason why many people are waiting for the final wireless N release is whether the pre-n router they buy will be truly upgradeable to the finalized N requirements.

Plus, you can bet every manufacturer of pre-n routers will quickly "forget" about their pre-n products and try to convince users to buy a "true N" router so they can generate more sales. It would be pretty pricey to buy a new pre-n router, the client adapters, etc. only to find when the N standards are finalized this summer that you have a sub-standard N system, incapable of being upgraded to the "real" N standards (300mbps) which are not out yet.

The only product I'm seeing lately that is being advertised as truly "draft 2 (over 200mbps) is by Airlink (cheap?). Otherwise, the advertising is kind of bogus, claiming "draft 2 compliant) or some other non-sense. Since N is not finalized yet by the standards organization, there is no "true n" router to be bought.

Buyer beware until the real N standards come out this summer. Until then, it's all pre-n with a lot of draft 1 products (100mbps at least) being sold to get rid of inventory.

Tom Blue

join:2007-09-17
MN, USA
reply to dc_knicks

said by dc_knicks :

Both of those are draft-n. You might try reading beyond the features list on the box.

wireman121

@optonline.net
reply to Wireman121

Looks like the Linksys WRT600N is exactly what I am looking for. Funny, I spoke to a Linksys tech today and they told me that what I was looking for was not available - yet there it is. How much they know. haha.

Thanks for all the help!!

wireman121

@optonline.net
reply to Wireman121

OK now that I read all this, does the Linksys WRT600N include draft-n or draft-2-n? ugh. So confusing!

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
reply to wireman121

Remember, these are the same people you'll be calling for help should you have a problem. "What model? We make one of those?"

stevech0

San Diego, CA

3 edits

Chronology:

IEEE works on 802.11
Proxim sells pre-standard RangeLAN. Others sell pre-standard
IEEE ratifies 802.11b.
Throw out all pre-standard stuff; RangeLAN is incompatible.
People buy products certified by WiFi to 802.11b

IEEE works on 802.11g
Vendors sell pre-standard
delay
Vendors sell more pre-standard
IEEE ratifies 802.11g
Throw out most of the pre-standard stuff.
People buy products certified by WiFi to 802.11g
market is pretty saturated; vendor revenue declines.

IEEE works on 802.11n
Vendors sell pre-standard, draft 1
delay, delay, delay, delay
Vendors sell pre-standard, draft 2
delay, delay, delay, delay

Vendors like the delay - it's a cure to market saturation.

and here we are, today.

DaveCinSL1

join:2007-12-02
San Leandro, CA
reply to Wireman121

all this discussion of draft N the latest draft is going to be the one that is approved. The latest draft had less than 10% of the number of objections that the first draft proposal had. If you'd go to the IEEE and read the draft or to sites that provide coverage of the standards issue you'd get the same message I'm giving you. Also no mention is made here of the reason the routers as well as draft N adapters have multiple antenna Multi In Multi Out. So guess what if you buy ANY N router be it Pre N real N this N or that N if you don't have a this N that N real N or draft N adapter the router will NOT provide you N on it's own. As far as support goes I bought one of the first Linksys Pre N routers and there is excellent support for the product all you do is go to www.linksysinfo.org for great forum support good luck but if you want N performance remember you MUST get an N adapter also

dc_knicks

@pldt.net
reply to Wireman121

you are right dave, whether it is draft or not if you dont have wireless adapter that is useles...

dc_knicks

@pldt.net
reply to Wireman121

wireless N adapter i should say...

stevech0

San Diego, CA

11g client adapter and draft-11n wireless router/access point = no benefit except $$$ for the retailer.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Steve,
(rant) you cannot stem the tide of people willing to throw money away to professional marketing companies (networking equipment is just the product being pushed). Some folks have no self control nor reasonable judgement but a strong desire to keep up with the JOnes or having bragging rights on the latest gadget. If they were smart, they would hop on a plane to Japan and buy technology there, that may appear here in NA in one to two years.(rant off)
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

stevech0

San Diego, CA

1 edit

You are right - but as I stand in the isles at Fry's or CIrcuit city, I am saddened to hear so many non-geek people get suckered.

I suppose you're right - those people wouldn't frequent this forum.

Pales by comparison to having the biggest yacht.

prestonlewis
Premium,MVM
Sacramento, CA
reply to Wireman121

Go to CNET and read the reviews. The fairly old Belkin pre-n and Trendnet consistently get better throughput in their testing than major players like Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, etc.
Trendnet especially is attractive since their prices are cheaper. Trendnet has also come out recently with two draft 2 routers: the TEW-633GR and the TEW-632BRP models.

Even Airlink101, one of the more cheaper router manufacturers is selling a draft 2 wireless router now.

One advantage for Airlink and Trendnet's draft 2 routers are their client NICs are low priced, under $50 for Trendnet and even cheaper for Airlink. Airlink is rarely reviewed so it's hard to tell if their draft 2 router is good (but the price is) but budget priced Trendnet surprisingly leads the pack in both draft 1 and draft 2 throughput.

stevech0

San Diego, CA

said by prestonlewis:

Go to CNET and read the reviews. The fairly old Belkin pre-n and Trendnet consistently get better throughput in their testing than major players like Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, etc.
Trendnet especially is attractive since their prices are cheaper. Trendnet has also come out recently with two draft 2 routers: the TEW-633GR and the TEW-632BRP models.

Even Airlink101, one of the more cheaper router manufacturers is selling a draft 2 wireless router now.

One advantage for Airlink and Trendnet's draft 2 routers are their client NICs are low priced, under $50 for Trendnet and even cheaper for Airlink. Airlink is rarely reviewed so it's hard to tell if their draft 2 router is good (but the price is) but budget priced Trendnet surprisingly leads the pack in both draft 1 and draft 2 throughput.
remember though:
in 11b/g and 11n, there are dozens of end-item manufacturers, many of which just buy a box, put their logo on it and in the web GUI and sell it.

There are only 5 or so vendors of chipsets that are used in all these products. Many use the "reference design" provided by big chipmakers like Broadcom, including Linksys and Buffalo. My point: sometimes, the innards of brand A and B are identical but users pump up "mine's better than yours" without any basis.