uniqs
share rss forum feed

TwoFrogs
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Downtown

2 recommendations

[FP] New Foldy4 shipped

The Dell Inspiron 530, the saga of which was detailed here: »[FP] Can anyone find this deal? , has shipped, with an ETA of Feb. 20.

Ironically, I just got an email from Dell advertising deals on the 530 (not as good as that found by wafen See Profile and howieh See Profile, however) with free shipping!
--

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 edit
This is getting exciting!

And, yeh, yay for wafen for finding that deal. Dell does not make it easy to uncover their best offers!

Just a personal request and ignore me if you choose, would you run CPU-Z on it while you are setting it up and get a screenshot? I am interested in the CPU info, just to see if it is a Rev B3 or G0. It won't surprise me if it is B3 and it isn't a problem because you wouldn't be overclocking it, anyway (it would void the warranty if they knew). I'm just wondering, that's all.

Also, SIW is a neat app to get all kinds of info about the new blade. I check core temps with it just to see comparative temps between different types of CPUs.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

TwoFrogs
Premium,MVM
Downtown
said by sortofageek:

Just a personal request and ignore me if you choose, would you run CPU-Z on it while you are setting it up and get a screenshot? I am interested in the CPU info, just to see if it is a Rev B3 or G0. It won't surprise me if it is B3 and it isn't a problem because you wouldn't be overclocking it, anyway (it would void the warranty if they knew). I'm just wondering, that's all.

Also, SIW is a neat app to get all kinds of info about the new blade. I check core temps with it just to see comparative temps between different types of CPUs.
I will do that.

I was not familiar with SIW; it appears to be pretty powerful. A little disturbing to see that it discovered several stored passwords without much trouble, guess I will have to correct that. A nag screen every two minutes is slightly annoying, but it is freeware so can't complain. The system report does not appear to report passwords (examined the HTML source) so that is good. I will get a SIW system report for the Inspiron and post that also.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
Hmmm, I don't get a nag screen, version 1.70.

btw, I had a report from a little birdie who bought one of those Dells. Says it has the Rev G0 chip.
--

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ
kudos:1
Mine arrived and this is what I get from CPU-Z

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
Awesome, howie. Do you have SIW? How are the temps on the cores while it folds either four clients or one SMP?
--

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
Metuchen, NJ
I just downloaded SIW, never heard of it befor today. The cores are about 58 - 59 with four clients running.
--
Hey Buddy, can you spare a cycle? Join Team Helix

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
Looking good. Mine are 63-71 according to SIW, but mine is overclocked to 3GHz.

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
Metuchen, NJ
I have never overclocked anything that I have owned. I kinda doubt that Dell would give me the ability to overclock. The next time I shut this down, I'll go into setup and check it out.
--
Hey Buddy, can you spare a cycle? Join Team Helix

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
I wouldn't do it if I had one warranted by Dell.

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL
Sorto, here's something for you. On my quad, CPU-Z says I have a G0 stepping, Everest Home says it's a B3 stepping and even Intels own CPU identifying Program, (Intel processor ID utility) says it's a B3. Now Everest is an older program, version 2.20.450 last of the free versions. Intels utility, I had problems even finding it because some of the links led to the wrong program if I recall correctly. (might have been my search terms also). I've used CPU-Z for a long time and I trust what it is telling me.

According to Core Temp V 0.96.1 it is a G0 stepping. (actually it's called the revision #) and running 4 no-nonsense clients my core temps are at this moment,

Core#0 63 C
Core#1 59 C
Core#2 61 C
Core#3 59 C

All stock speeds with stock Heatsink/Fan. I may remove the cooler and try something better, or at least lap it and apply a different Thermal compound.. But I am happy with the temps.. They have always been within a degree or two of the listed temps at all times since I first fired it up.

--
You don't quit playing 'cause you're OLD. You're old BECAUSE you quit playing!!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
My builder first sent a Rev B3 chip, santy. CPU-Z told me it was a Rev B3 chip. I didn't like the temps.

He then sent me a Rev G0 in trade for the B3. CPU-Z told me it is a Rev G0 chip. The temps are much better.

I believe CPU-Z.
--

santy
Premium,MVM
Wilmington, IL
I agree. Like I said, Everest Home is an older program last of the free version. I had trouble finding the one from Intel and it still wasn't the program I was looking for according to an article I read. So, I prefer CPU-Z and Core Temp.
--

TwoFrogs
Premium,MVM
Downtown

1 recommendation

reply to TwoFrogs

Re: [FP] New Foldy4 arrived

My wife has confirmed that the Dell arrived via FedEx today, and, not too coincidentally, the check from Sarah See Profile also arrived by mail.

Unfortunately, I have to work late tonight, and I have a meeting scheduled tomorrow night that will probably go late. So, I will open the box this evening when I get home to check for any shipping damage but probably will do nothing more than that. So it may be a couple of days before I can set up.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
That's ok, Mr. Frog. We want you to tend to that job so it can provide the electricity for Foldy 4 when she gets hungry.
--

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to TwoFrogs

Re: [FP] New Foldy4 shipped

Sounds like good news for all! Can't wait to hear those electrons humming away in there and crunching..... Uhhm....they DO hum, don't they????!!!

mouseferatu
Too many cats, Too many mice
Premium,MVM
join:2004-03-16
Im not sure
reply to TwoFrogs

Re: [FP] New Foldy4 arrived

It is good to hear that it arrived, and that Dell delivered it to the right address and all of those important things!

We are all volunteers, and are very patient and will be happily waiting until it is convenient for you to set the beastie up.
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crispy and good with catsup."

TwoFrogs
Premium,MVM
Downtown
reply to TwoFrogs

Re: [FP] New Foldy4 shipped

A quick visual inspection of the machine indicates no shipping damage, keyboard and mouse are present, and several CDs including a Vista reinstallation disk are included. Unfortunately I still don't believe that I will be able to attend to setup until this weekend, as I still have to destruct stand down the old blades.
--

santy
Premium,MVM
Wilmington, IL

1 edit
reply to mattmag
said by mattmag:

they DO hum, don't they????!!!
Actually, I think they whistle while they work.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

I was (nearly) certain I heard the Hallelujah Chorus when I first fired mine up.

santy
Premium,MVM
Wilmington, IL
said by sortofageek:

I was (nearly) certain I heard the Hallelujah Chorus when I first fired mine up.
I thought I heard a collective sigh from my UPS on the reduced electrical load compared to previous PC's running on that unit.
--

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek
I'd believe they would purr.