share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to TamaraB

Re: OptOut creates cookies with faireagle name

I think you are overlooking the capabilities of these ad blockers. They just don't block full URLs or domains. They have wildcard capabilities that can block a URL by matching just a piece of the URL.

Just a VERY VERY small piece of the wildcard matching that takes place:
_adspace
»ad.
»ads.
.adverti
/ads/*
/banners/*.gif$~background
&ClientType=*&AdID=
@@|»*.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/
kanoodle
»pagead2.$~other
.revsci.
.atdmt.com/
/adverti

--
Internet News
My BLOG
My Web Page

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
said by FFH:

I think you are overlooking the capabilities of these ad blockers. They just don't block full URLs or domains. They have wildcard capabilities that can block a URL by matching just a piece of the URL.
I know. but what 'wildcard' are you going to block on if the ad comes with totally different and random pieces? What if the speed test applet here on dslr is modified to first display an ad, then take you to the real speed test? How are you going to block that without blocking the speed test itself? Answer? Impossible!

Bob
--
Motor Vessel - Tamara B.
43' Long-Range Trawler
Cape Elizebeth ME.
See her Here.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit
said by TamaraB:

said by FFH:

I know. but what 'wildcard' are you going to block on if the ad comes with totally different and random pieces? What if the speed test applet here on dslr is modified to first display an ad, then take you to the real speed test? How are you going to block that without blocking the speed test itself? Answer? Impossible!

Bob
Ads from spammers injected into mainline web sites isn't a big problem or is it likely to be. 99.999% of ads are coming from well known companies like Google, doubleclick, etc. that aren't going to go to the lengths that you describe. They stick to well known naming conventions that can be uncovered by the ad blocking products. I just don't see your doomsday scenario ever taking place.

Even companies like nebuad and faireagle will stick to naming conventions that can be uncovered.
--
Internet News
My BLOG
My Web Page

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
said by FFH:

... aren't going to go to the lengths that you describe.
[...]
... I just don't see your doomsday scenario ever taking place.
I am not prognosticating, I am simply describing what this technology is capable of doing.

None of us, 20 years ago, would have thought that the commercializing of the Internet would have sparked such a horrible email spam problem.

All I am saying is that if a particular technology like the one we are discussing here is allowed to operate on the "public network", then no data can ever again be relied upon to be the work of the author. Run a speed test on dslr, and you are a Verizon customer.

Verizon "CAN" alter the report to read anything they want you to see. If they can identify me (even by an "anonymous" token, and if they can inject/alter code passing through their network, then they control my perception of the Internet world.

This just seems patently evil, and subject to terrible abuse.

Bob
--
Motor Vessel - Tamara B.
43' Long-Range Trawler
Cape Elizebeth ME.
See her Here.