how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Yubin

@verizon.net

2 recommendations

Make your actiontec a bridge with VOD working with REV D

OK guys, I've seen posts like these and once people figure out how to fix it, they don't post the settings, so that's what I am doing. I figured out how to get my VOD working with my actiontec bridged. I have not had any problems since.

Here we go, a lot of this will be repetative from other posts, but I want to list all of the steps I took so there is no confusion.

Configuration of your wires and secondary firewall boxes:
This config is based upon using a secondary router.

Coax -> Actiontec -> Actiontec:Ethernet connection1:RJ45 -> 2ND Router Internet Port(WAN Connection)-> 2ND Router:Ethernet port 1:RJ45 -> Actiontec:WAN (Internet)ethernet port.(Sounds redundant but your second router is the new DHCP and the actiontec uses that dhcp to give itself an internal ip and provide internet for your STB's

One computer plugged directly into your actiontect ethernet port 2

Steps:

1) There are two different ways to do this.
a) login to your router user the admin/password1 provided. Select The Advanced icon on the top row.Select restore defaults on the left side. Select yes and apply.After it reboots you should be ready.

b) Press and hold the reset button on the back of your router for 15 seconds. After it reboots you should be ready.

2) connect to your router and put in your new password.

3) click on My Network on the top. Then click on Network connections on the left side.

4) Click on Broadband Connection (Coax) -> Then click on Settings

5) Under DHCP Lease, select RELEASE, Then immediately after select No IP Address under Internet protocol.

6) Select Apply.

7) click on My Network on the top. Then click on Network connections on the left side.

8) Select Home Network -> The select Settings.

9) Under Bridge Section, Check the Broadband Connection(Coax) box and Check the STP Box on the right as well.

10) Uncheck the Coax and Wireless Connections and associated STP boxes.

11) Disable the DHCP Server under IP Distribution.

12) Click Apply and Click Apply again.

13) click on My Network on the top. Then click on Network connections on the left side.

14) Click Add at the bottom right.

15) Select Network Bridge -> Next -> Select Add a New bridge -> Next -> Check Broadband Ethernet and Coax. Uncheck Wireless. -> Click Next.

16) Check Edit the Newly Created Connection and click on Finish

17) Change DNS Server to Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically

18)Under IP Distribution select DHCP Relay

19) click apply

20) click on My Network on the top. Then click on Network connections on the left side.

21) Click on Advanced button at the bottom.

22) Click on the Edit button to the right of Broadband Connection (Ethernet)

23) click on Enable

24) click on apply

25)click on Wireless icon at the top

26)Select Basic Security Settings and turn Wireless OFF.

27) click apply.

28) Click on Firewall Settings -> Click Yes -> Select Minimal Settings -> Click apply -> select yes

29) restart your 2ND router and then restart your STB's and check your VOD's and widgets!

Hope you find this well!!

Yubin

@verizon.net
This post is for people with only coax connections to the actiontec!!!

I forgot to mention that!

Yubin

@verizon.net
reply to Yubin
One more thing... I have the most up to date Firmware a well.
Current Version: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.7

baygins

join:2002-06-18
Arlington, VA
With the BB-Eth connection doing DHCP Relay, did you also have your other router distribute IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x domain?

BKJ

@verizon.net
reply to Yubin
I must be a complete idiot because for the life of me I cant get vod or widgets to work. The only thing that I have succeeded in doing is having my router of choice pull an ip from verizon. I can surf the net and things but everything else fails. Set-top boxes cant get an ip, vod/widgets do not work. I have tried almost every post/solution to this but cant get it to all work together. I am at a lose. I think part of my problem is the bridge setups. I use smoothwall as my fw/router which has two nics one WAN and one private/lan (192.168.1.0) address. I can't change this because I have to many things configured (AD/dns/dhcp/ and a plethra of other things). I would even pay someone to get my vod/widgets working correctly.

baygins

Arlington, VA
Hey BKJ,
Having similar pains as you are; all IP setups and cabling are according to the guides, STB gets an IP (sometimes 192.168.1.2, sometimes 192.168.100.1) but VoD and Widgets are a no go.
I heard somewhere that the STBs need a 192.168.100.1 address to work properly. I dont know why that would be requirement if all they have to do is to do a DNS query for the head-end servers and then establish a silly IP connection

baygins

Arlington, VA
Wait, this is unbelievable!!! Right after I posted the above, I went back to my STB, saw that it pulled a 192.168.0.124 address (my Linksys WRT54GL is configured for 192.168.0.x address space); and VoD & widgets work.
Interesting eh?

Yubin

@verizon.net
Glad I could help!

BKJ

@verizon.net
reply to baygins
baygins any chance of contacting you directly? I live in the dc area as well.

BKJ

@verizon.net
uggg.... lol now i am the only one who cant get this crap right...

Yubin

@verizon.net
reply to BKJ
BKJ, your fw with two nics should still work. Honestly, I use a server as my fw/router with a bridged router on the back side of it. It is essentially the same as what you have. Just plug the ethernet cable from your actiontec into your WAN nic of your fw, then do the opposite, ethernet cable from your fw to the actiontec wan port.

You can also try changing your home/network DHCP server in the actiontec to a DHCP relay so that it does not conflict with your smoothwall.

Do you have a yahoo messenger account? I can talk to you on there and help you out.

BKJ

@verizon.net
no i dont have yahoo messanger but i can/do have voip or cell number that i can give to you. If you prefer anoher way that would be great as well the problem with yahoo messanger is that when i plug my smoothwall lan into actiontec wan i can no longer get out on the inet.

Yubin

@verizon.net
reply to Yubin
OK Here is a quick explanation for the DHCP Relay.

The Relay expands your personal FW/Router's DHCP range to the STB's. Basically the relay sends the requests for IP's from the STB's to your personal router and then assigns the ips from the router to the STB's. This way all of them will be on the same network range. It's easier than setting them up on a separate network. I've tried separating them, but the widgets and VOD stop working, so it's pointless.

yubin7

join:2008-02-17
Desoto, TX
reply to BKJ
ok send me your cell in an IM here and I'll call you.

Hooper
Premium
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO
reply to Yubin
What happens if you reboot the router? Does the Actiontec Ethernet connection become disabled still?

yubin7

Desoto, TX
are you referring to rebooting the actiontec? or your personal router? If you mean the actiontec, then yes, mine disables the BB eth everytime, but it still pulls an IP for some reason. If that happens to you, jsut enable the BB Eth again and then reboot your personal router. It all picks back up.

Hooper
Premium
Castle Rock, CO
said by yubin7:

are you referring to rebooting the actiontec? or your personal router? If you mean the actiontec, then yes, mine disables the BB eth everytime, but it still pulls an IP for some reason. If that happens to you, jsut enable the BB Eth again and then reboot your personal router. It all picks back up.

That's the rub... I am not always at home when the power goes out. I have been running a config like this one for over a year and sometimes the Actiontec just craps out on its own and reboots itself as well. It is so sad that we have to go through all this nonsense to use our own equipment.

BKJ

@verizon.net
hooper, my exact sentiments... i am so close to going back to my cable modem! arggggg....

BKJ

@verizon.net
reply to yubin7
ugg.. did you get the pm yubin?

BKJ

@verizon.net
reply to yubin7
ok i sent you a pm on yahoo.

BKJ

@verizon.net
reply to yubin7
did you get it?

BKJ

@verizon.net
reply to Yubin
ok have a yahoo account. how can i get you my screen name w/o posting to the world. Yes, i know what dhcp relay is and how it works (thanks).

BKJ

@verizon.net
reply to Yubin
ok i created an yahoo account: builtbygeek

yubin7

Desoto, TX
I added you.

BKJ

join:2006-02-27
Woodbridge, VA
ugg.. FINALLY with the help of yubin I was able to get things working. My issue was that new bridge being created (in step 14/15) failed to add/pickup a lan ip. So if things are not working check that the new bridge is picking up an ip.

baygins

Arlington, VA
yubin,
It's an interesting setup with the DHCP Relay. I am wondering if this is bypassing the AT QoS settings that it automatically assigns to the STBs in the 192.168.1.x range (.100 usually).
Any thoughts on that?

portwashguy7

join:2008-02-08
Port Washington, NY
reply to Yubin
This question probably shows my lack of detailed knowledge but:

What is the advantage of the setup you are describing compared to simply running a second router off the actiontec router by plugging the 2nd router with a cat5 cable into one of the actiontac's lan ports?

(I needed a router with better range, so I am using this config with a "N" router as the wnd router.)

baygins

Arlington, VA
To take advantage of the advanced routing, QoS and wireless capabilities of your "_insert_3rd_party_router_name_" box rather than being restricted to the capabilities offered by AT (e.g., extremely limited NAT table).

cookymonsta

@verizon.net
reply to Yubin
Can one of you help me out, i have been trying this for weeks. tried the step by step here, i can get everything to work but the VOD. Anyone on yahoo?

Hooper
Premium
Castle Rock, CO
reply to baygins
said by baygins:

yubin,
It's an interesting setup with the DHCP Relay. I am wondering if this is bypassing the AT QoS settings that it automatically assigns to the STBs in the 192.168.1.x range (.100 usually).
Any thoughts on that?
QoS is out the window with this setup. HOWEVER, this config only impacts QoS on your local LAN. WAN QoS is handled by Verizon to support multiple HD streams by dynamically adjusting throughput/caps on your line. The biggest problem you may face with this setup is that your 3rd party router might not have the WAN throughput to support the amount of traffic that can be generated.