Search similar:

uniqs
BKJ
join:2006-02-27
Woodbridge, VA

BKJ to yubin7

to yubin7

Re: Make your actiontec a bridge with VOD working with REV D

Yubin, a present is in the mail heading your way!
yubin7
join:2008-02-17
Desoto, TX

yubin7

Xmas came early!!! Thanks a lot bud. You really shouldn't have.
SnipingWaste
join:2008-02-20
Garland, TX

SnipingWaste to Yubin

to Yubin
I can get VOD to work now but play back is very chopping. Any way to fix that?
SnipingWaste

SnipingWaste to Yubin

to Yubin
Sorry I should post the router I'm using too. Its a Linksys SRX 200 also known at WRT54 GX2. Every thing works with the linksys doing all the routing but the VOD is very choppy with artifacts in the video and the sound cutting in and out.
yubin7
Desoto, TX

yubin7

Sniping, I had that problem at first, but it all works smooth now. It could just be your router, but I don't think so.

Mine was choppy for about a day, after that it was fine

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to SnipingWaste

MVM

to SnipingWaste
Did you try setting QOS for the VOD?
QOS in on for VOD by default in the Actiontec.

Raere
@verizon.net

Raere to Yubin

Anon

to Yubin
You are a god among men Yubin. I've been waiting for an easy guide, and yours worked. Many, many thanks.
yubin7
Desoto, TX

yubin7

Raere, thanks for the kudos, but I did this for the many people out there who are as frustrated as I was with all of the other How-Tos. I hope everyone else finds this an easy guide as well.

-Yubin

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Why don't you submit your instructions to the FIOS FAQ:

»Verizon FiOS FAQ

rtcy_at_work
@level3.net

rtcy_at_work

Anon

can this be made to work for those of us that have ethernet turned on ?

I will attempt it, but I might as well ask. I tried all of yesterday and failed. will try to apply these steps to my set up and see where it gets me.

any help from those that have done it is welcomed

JaySco
@verizon.net

JaySco to Yubin

Anon

to Yubin
Sorry if this a stupid question. Looking at the configuration, where does the Bridge get connected to the Internet? If both WAN ports are taken up by the Bridge? Or am I look at this wrong?
yubin7
Desoto, TX

1 edit

yubin7 to rtcy_at_work

to rtcy_at_work
Rtcy_at_work, if you have ethernet ran to your actiontec, just plug it into your own router instead of the actiontec. Leave the cable connected to the actiontec for the VOD. That's it.

JaySco The actiontec will get the internet from the Ethernet Wan port, which is plugged into the router of your choice. Your router receives an external IP fromVerizon through the bridge we created on the actiontec.

I made this pic to show you how it works

I hope this helps everyone get an idea of how it's setup.

-Yubin

[Mod note: Edited to fix the margins. sash]
elongatedm
join:2008-01-31
Palm Harbor, FL

elongatedm to Yubin

to Yubin
I need some help. So I start fresh after a ip lease break and follow the directions at the beginning of this thread. I follow everything to a tee. I have no problem getting to the internet. The issue is the guide itself. It is up and running and functional but for some reason if I try to access the widgets, it gives me an error that it cannot connect to the server. Worse yet if I have power cycle the stb's that is the end of the guides. Has anybody run into this?
gmartine
join:2000-10-02
Reston, VA

gmartine to yubin7

to yubin7
Hello Yubin,
This sunday I am going to have an AT router installed. Currently I am using a Linksys WRT54G router facing Vzn and my VOD comes using a little Morotola box that converts coax into Ethernet UTP and then connects to my Linksys.

I want to you my AT to act as a bridge. My Internet connectivity comes to my house using Ethernet.

Should I connect the WAN connection of the ACtiontech to the ONT and then one of the LAN port of the AT to the Linksys? Any other considerations?

Thanks
gm
gmartine

gmartine to yubin7

to yubin7
Hello Yubin,
This Sunday I am going to have an AT router installed. Currently I am using a Linksys WRT54 connected to my ONT using an Ethernet. My VOD comes using a little Morotola box that converts coax into Ethernet UTP and connects back to the Linksys. I can clear see the my STB gets an IP assigned from my Linksys router.

I want to put my Linksys router behind the AT because the Linksys is not capable of handling VOD + my Internet connection.

I want to you my AT as a bridge.

Should I connect the Ethernet WAN connection of the AT to the ONT and then one of the LAN port of the AT to the Linksys? Any other considerations?

Thank you
GM
yubin7
Desoto, TX

yubin7 to elongatedm

to elongatedm
elongatedm This means that your bridge isn't working, check to make sure that your ethernet bridge has an ip from your other router.

BklynFIOS
@verizon.net

BklynFIOS

Anon

Yubin, Would this also work if there is no FIOS TV?

Currently NYC only has telephone and internet. My install was done with coax to Actiontec ver D. and no cat 5 from ONT to router. Therefore unable to connect Linksys without cat 5.

In NYC installs are done via coax (MoCa for impending FIOS TV) and easier(?) and quicker(?). Can VZ install cat 5 as well to have both coax and cat 5 run simultanously?

Verizon tech expected here today any minute to advise on the above.

Thanks
BklynFIOS

BklynFIOS

Anon

Just curious as to whether this will help me connect my Linksys (for better wireless range and better NAT)

Verizon tech told me only ethernet or MoCa, but not both simultaneously, as new Actiontec has Nim built in. Tech told me to leave as is for impending FIOS TV(long political BS here in NYC to get approved; NYC had cable tv in the 60's while we here in Brooklyn did not get cable tv until 1992.)

Thanks

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Hopefully, the tech has left at this point. The tech is correct in a limited sense. You can have connection provisioned at the ONT over either cat-5 or coax (MOCA), but not both. TV is always over coax. The STB utilize ethernet over coax (MOCA) for VOD and guide data.

This results in a number of options.
1) If the tech installed a cat-5 ethernet connection from the ONT, then simply release the DHCP address in the AT and put in your own router. If you later get FIOS TV, you can put the AT behind your router to provide the MOCA connection to the STB's.

2) If the tech connected the AT to the ONT via coax, then follow Yubin's instructions for bridging your router with the AT.
elongatedm
Palm Harbor, FL

elongatedm to yubin7

to yubin7
Yubin,

Where do I check to ensure that the bridge is getting an IP? Am I going into the newly created bridge to check? Also if it is not getting an IP, what do you recommend that I do to get it going? I think I am one step from getting this working.

Thanks for your help
yubin7
Desoto, TX

yubin7

Click on the bridge under network connections and there should be 2 ip's showing. 192.168.2.1 and another in your router dhcp range. If there isn't one showing, delete the bridge and create another one.
That's how we got BJK's going.
-Yubin

BklynFIOS
@rubies.com

BklynFIOS to More Fiber

Anon

to More Fiber
More Fiber, many thanks for your reply.

I'll have to follow your suggestion for option 2, as tech left connection via MoCa. I was hoping tech would connect via cat-5 from ONT as well, so I would have both coax(MoCa for impending FIOS TV) and cat-5 for internet. Seems as I'm limited to your option 2.
gmartine
Reston, VA

gmartine to More Fiber

to More Fiber
I have my linksys behind the AT and everything seems to be working fine. My only issue right now is my VPN from work. I can establish my VPN but I can not connect to my intranet/internet. I can not access my outlook email either.

Have someone heard anything about port redirection for VPN to work?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by gmartine:

I have my linksys behind the AT and everything seems to be working fine. My only issue right now is my VPN from work. I can establish my VPN but I can not connect to my intranet/internet. I can not access my outlook email either.
You don't indicate what VPN software you are using. Some VPN clients, such as Cisco, block access to the local network as a protection to the network you are connected to. There is a config option in the Cisco VPN client to allow access to the local network, however, this can and frequently is overridden by a group policy prohibiting it from being changed locally.

Also, keep in mind that while the VPN is up, the VPN software has obtained a DHCP address from your work network and that all connections go though that address, even though you have a local IP address from the AT or Linksys.

Did this problem start when you moved the Linksys behind the AT?
gmartine
Reston, VA

gmartine

Hello,
This issue started when I moved the linksys behind the AT. When I connect my PC to one the the ethernet ports on the AT I have the same issue -vpn is established and I can not access anything-

I am using the VPN client built on Windows XP. Here is an output of the status window. Any help is greatly appreciated. I guess it has something to do either with double-natting or with port forwarding. FW on the AT is disabled. Any help is appreciated.
gmartine

gmartine to More Fiber

to More Fiber
Hello,
This issue started when I moved the linksys behind the AT. When I connect my PC to one the the ethernet ports on the AT I have the same issue -vpn is established and I can not access anything-

I am using the VPN client built on Windows XP. Here is an output of the status window

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by gmartine:

This issue started when I moved the linksys behind the AT. When I connect my PC to one the the ethernet ports on the AT I have the same issue VPN is established and I can not access anything
I'm confused. If the issue started when you moved the Linksys behind the AT and you get the same results if you connect directly to the AT, what was then configuration when it worked? Was the Linksys in front of the AT?

If so, then I presume you have a cat-5 connection to the ONT. Why not just put the Linksys back in front of the AT?

I assume you have checked FIREWALL SETTINGS -> PORT TRIGGERING?

L2TP Triggering - Layer Two Tunneling Protocol | UDP Any -> 1701 | UDP Any -> Same as Initiating

should be enabled.
gmartine
Reston, VA

gmartine

I am going to check those setting tonight and I will let you know. The AT was never behind the Linksys. I have to use the AT for VOD. My WRT54G can not stay alive with VOD feeds \

I can not put the Linksys in front of the AT because VOD, it will basically die as I have explained.

I will check the port triggering stuff. What is port triggering by the way?

Saikik
@verizon.net

Saikik to Yubin

Anon

to Yubin
I'm not sure what suggestions have been included but you really don't need to go through all these steps.

All I did on my home network is as follows and I get VOD on all my STBs in my house.

INTERNET NETGEAR
The Netgear is connected to the internet hrough the WAN port.

NETGEAR ACTIONTEC
Ethernet#1 is connected to the Ethernet#1 on the Vz ActionTec box.

ACTIONTEC COAX
The Coax is connected to the Actiontec.

How this works is simple.

First I unhooked everything. Then I plugged in the Actiontec router and connected a PC to it. On the Actiontec I disabled DHCP and changed the routers internal IP address to 192.168.1.254

I then wired the routers together as described above. Again these routers are connected to each other through their respective ethernet ports. They are not connected to each other using the WAN ports as that would create a subnet which I've done but seems overly unnecessary in this case.

Finally I connected the Ethernet coming from the ONT directly into the NETGEAR's WAN port.

Why this works: With nothing connected to the WAN port and with DHCP turned off on the Actiontec it's no longer a router but a HUB. Traffic simply flows from one box to the other.

The NETGEAR's IP is 192.168.1.1 it has DHCP on. The STB's when they connect seek and IP address. They send out the request which travels through the Actiontec to the NETGEAR. They get their IPs and DNS information from the NETGEAR. The Actiontec at this point is just simply a network bridge/hub. The bridged options were installed by default from Vz.
elongatedm
Palm Harbor, FL

elongatedm to Yubin

to Yubin
Yubin,

Not sure if you have any more suggestions because I cannot get this to work for the life of me. I get the internet and I get the guide great but the VOD still a no go. I checked the bridge setup on step 15 of the guide and as you stated it only had the one IP address of 192.168.2.1. I went ahead and removed the bridge and recreated it several times and still nothing. I did notice that when I removed the bridge all the STB's showed up in the network status page. Once I recreate the bridge they go away. At this point the only thing I can think about is the 2nd router being the problem. Thanks for your help.