MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

1 edit

More Fiber to cjohnson3

MVM

to cjohnson3

Re: Make your actiontec a bridge with VOD working with REV D

1) Not sure what you mean by "VOD timeouts". Do you mean you select a program and then get a timeout message connecting to the video source?

2) Bootp and DHCP are both the both use UDP 67. Do you have a device that is not getting a DHCP address from your router and is continually retrying? This could be a STB.

In this configuration, the Actiontec is acting as two distinct bridges (MOCA WAN to ethernet WAN) and (ethernet LAN to MOCA LAN). It should not be making any DHCP requests. It should only be passing existing WAN or LAN traffic over the appropriate bridge.

Be aware that you can not use the switch ports on the Actiontec (except for the connection to your routers WAN port).

What router are you using?
cjohnson3
join:2009-11-24
Norristown, PA

3 edits

cjohnson3

>>>Do you mean you select a program and then get a timeout >>>message connecting to the video source?

yes.

>>>Do you have a device that is not getting a DHCP address from >>>your router and is continually retrying? This could be a STB.

no; only one settop is connected and upstream status shows an ip from my routers pool.

>>>Be aware that you can not use the switch ports on the >>>Actiontec (except for the connection to your routers WAN port).

correct; i have not.

>>>What router are you using?

MI424WR rev. d. unless you are asking about MY router. in that case it's a custom built linux iptables box.

*****edit*****
i was just thinking.... would it save me some hair pulling if i were to request that VZ re-provision the ONT to ethernet? this way i could just plug the WAN interface of my router into the ONT, then the WAN on the AT into the local side of my router right? or i could delete the AT and replace it with a NIM? or i could just just config the AT to function as a NIM?? i'm really confused/unsure of how this all works, and/or the best way to do it cleanly. i've read lots of posts on here as well as the FAQ's and i'm still scratching my head a bit.

on another related note... i haven't yet laid eyes on the ONT yet but my roomate is telling me that we have a newer alcatel ONT that doesn't have an ethernet port?? then again he also said that he was told that the ethernet port can only be enabled for business customers??

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by cjohnson3:

would it save me some hair pulling if i were to request that VZ re-provision the ONT to ethernet?
Absolutely.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet
said by cjohnson3:

this way i could just plug the WAN interface of my router into the ONT, then the WAN on the AT into the local side of my router right?
Yes. Trade-offs option 6.
said by cjohnson3:

or i could delete the AT and replace it with a NIM?
Yes. Trade-offs option 8.
said by cjohnson3:

or i could just just config the AT to function as a NIM??
Yes. Trade-offs option 7.
said by cjohnson3:

I'm really confused/unsure of how this all works
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
said by cjohnson3:

i haven't yet laid eyes on the ONT yet but my roommate is telling me that we have a newer alcatel ONT that doesn't have an ethernet port??
All ONTs have an ethernet jack.
said by cjohnson3:

he also said that he was told that the ethernet port can only be enabled for business customers??
Probably just an installer that did not want to be bothered to install cat5 in addition to the coax. Coax is VZ's preferred installation.
cjohnson3
Norristown, PA

cjohnson3

i have found where the dhcp requests are coming from. they're coming from the AT. why would the AT be making DHCP requests?

from my routers syslog......
router1 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 04:22:b6:74:18:fd via eth1
router1 dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.1 to 04:22:b6:74:18:fd via eth1
router1 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.2) from via eth1
router1 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.1 to 04:22:b6:74:18:fd via eth1
router1 dhcpd: DHCPDECLINE of 192.168.1.1 from 04:22:b6:74:18:fd via eth1: not found

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by cjohnson3:

i have found where the DHCP requests are coming from. they're coming from the AT. why would the AT be making DHCP requests?
I'm assuming that eth1 is your WAN interface. If that is the case, the only reason the Actiontec would be making DHCP requests would be if the DHCP client is enabled on WAN bridge
(this is the Network H/O bridge with the broadband coax under it).

Go to My Network
Select Network Connections
Select Network H/O
Select Settings
Across from INTERNET PROTOCOL, you should have NO IP ADDRESS.

If it says Obtain Address Automatically, the Actiontec will attempt to request a DHCP address from whatever server is listening. This could be your router, or it could be VZ's DHCP server, which means if the Actiontec gets a response from VZ's server, your router won't be able to pull a DHCP address.

BTW, I'm not sure is you obfuscated the MAC address. If not, that's a weird MAC address. Most Actiontec ethernet MAC addresses start with 00:18:01.
cjohnson3
Norristown, PA

cjohnson3

from page one here.....
>>>15) Select Network Bridge -> Next -> Select Add a New >>>bridge -> Next -> Check Broadband Ethernet and Coax. >>>Uncheck Wireless. -> Click Next.

>>>16) Check Edit the Newly Created Connection and click on >>>Finish

>>>17) Change DNS Server to Obtain DNS Server Address >>>Automatically

>>>18)Under IP Distribution select DHCP Relay

i thought it was a rather odd OUI as well. that's partially why i had trouble figuring out where/what it was. it's actually the "virtual MAC" the AT assigns to the bridge created in the steps above.
spankynuts
join:2007-05-22
West Orange, NJ

1 edit

spankynuts to Yubin

to Yubin
I cannot get this to work for the life of me. I have followed the steps exactly each time. I'm trying to use my D-Link DIR-655 router. I can get the wireless computers to work using the newly bridged d-link, but I can't get the main computer on the internet nor can I access the actiontec. Is there some step missing where I have to change the ip addresses of the routers? A couple of failed attempts I had to call FSC to break the lease. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am running Windows 7 x64.
My actiontec (REV A) is connected to the ONT via COAX.
I want to use my D-Link DIR-655 router.

I fixed the problem, I just had to reset the network adapte in Windows 7. VOD, widgets, and data all work. Thanks!
sfetaz
join:2009-12-08
Fort Lee, NJ

sfetaz to Yubin

to Yubin
Click for full size
step 3
Click for full size
step 11
Click for full size
step 15
Click for full size
steps 9 10 11
Click for full size
Steps 17 18
Click for full size
Step 18
I posted in another thread but will bump this one. I cannot get this working, and since I have tried I have had to call Verizon over 4 or 5 different times to get my internet back up each time. For some reason the Actiontec router even after hard resets and restoring defaults mutliple times would not be able to renew the IP address to access the internet. I do not want to have to call Verizon again to get my internet working, but I need to use my own router. What happenes is that even with everything connected properly and the steps completed, my Linksys router does not get a WAN IP Address from the Actiontec. It just stays at 0.0.0.0. I have posted some screen shots of the various steps in the process to see if there is a setting I have messed up.
spankynuts
West Orange, NJ

spankynuts to Yubin

to Yubin
Every now and then with this setup my stb boxes lose program information and I have to reset the boxes. The configuration worked for a long time until this problem started. I'm using a d-link dir-655. Thanks!

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by spankynuts:

Every now and then with this setup my stb boxes lose program information and I have to reset the boxes. The configuration worked for a long time until this problem started.
There was a recent IMG update (1.7) pushed to the STBs in most VHOs.
»IMG 1.7 (IMG Updates and Discussion)

What model STBs? If 2500-3s, check this thread:
»[IMG] STBs require a reset every 24 hours. Since the IMG update?
spankynuts
West Orange, NJ

1 edit

spankynuts

I also cannot access my actiontec router remotely (assigned 192.168.0.199 by d-link dir-655) or directly connecting compuer to the router and trying 192.168.1.1. Anyone else have the same problem?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

1 edit

More Fiber

MVM

said by spankynuts:

I also cannot access my actiontec router remotely (assigned 192.168.0.199 by d-link dir-655) or directly connecting compuer to the router and trying 192.168.1.1.
You might be able to access the Actiontec GUI from the D-Link via the 192.168.0.199 address if remote administration is enabled. This may not work since the two WAN interfaces are connected to different bridges.

You can only access the Actiontec GUI via a direct connection from your PC to the 4 port switch if your PC has a static IP address on the Actiontec LAN. This is because DHCP server is not enabled on the 4 port switch which is part of the WAN bridge.

edit: Updated wording regarding remote access to indicate it might not work.
spankynuts
West Orange, NJ

spankynuts

Thanks for the information, I set my computer to a static ip address that would work with the actiontec and was able to logon via direct connection. When I logged into the actiontec router I saw that the remote administration was enabled for http use (port 80). So I reconnected the lan cable to my d-link, but the remote administration still wouldn't work. I'm not sure what's going on.

ciscojf
@verizon.net

ciscojf to Yubin

Anon

to Yubin
Hello,

I am trying to bridge the Actiontec with a Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT v24 firmware.

I have applied these instructions several times with no success. I can get to the point of the Linksys pulling a Verizon IP and the Actiontec acquiring a DHCP lease from the Linksys.

However, I am not able to reach the Internet. I am not certain where the communication breakdown is occurring. I just can't ping any well known sites, or resolve any names using nslookup.

If anybody could provide me with some direction on this, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by ciscojf :

I can get to the point of the Linksys pulling a Verizon IP and the Actiontec acquiring a DHCP lease from the Linksys. However, I am not able to reach the Internet.
•Which revision of the Actiontec do you have?
For the Actiontec Rev. E, you should be following this thread:
»Re: MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E Configuration Thread

if you have a rev. A-D, then these are the correct instructions, however, there should be a break in the instructions after step 12 to check that internet connectivity is working.

After applying the change in step 12, reboot the Linksys. At this point, the cable from the Linksys LAN port to the Actiontec WAN port should not be connected yet and the Linksys should pull a WAN DHCP address and you should be able to browse the internet from a PC attached to the Linksys. If not, STOP. Do not proceed to step 13.

If the issue is that you can't get a WAN DHCP lease after switching routers, then it is usually because you have not released the WAN DHCP lease before switching. VZ only allows one MAC address to obtain a DHCP lease at a time. If you're having trouble releasing your WAN DHCP lease, there are a number of methods here:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease? Why would I need to?

If the Linksys has a WAN DHCP address and you can't browse the internet from a PC attached to the Linksys, that would seem to be a Linksys issue and I can't really offer much help other than the following general suggestions:
    •Since you state that the Linksys obtained a WAN DHCP lease, I'm assuming you have no problem logging into the the admin interface on the Linksys.
    •Check your firewall settings in the Linksys to see if they are preventing you from getting out.
    •Check your DNS server settings in the Linksys. If you can get to VZ's DHCP server, your WAN connection is working over the bridge. Incorrect DNS settings would prevent you from surfing.
    •From a PC connected to the Linksys, try pinging google.com to see if a ping can get out.

Some additional items to keep in mind:
  • The Actiontec should not be acquiring a DHCP address from the Linksys.
  • The switch ports on the Actiontec can not be used, except for configuration access and the cable to the WAN port on the Linksys.
  • After applying the config changes at step 12, DHCP server is no longer enabled in the Actiontec. To connect to the Actiontec after this step, your PC must have a static IP address on the Actiontec subnet.

ciscojf
@verizon.net

ciscojf

Anon

Thanks, More Fiber!

I went through the instructions again, but did not connect the cable from the Linksys LAN port to the Actiontec WAN port until after step 12.

My Linksys was able to pull an address from Verizon, and I can now browse the Internet. VOD and Widgets are working as well.
visuelz
join:2003-05-01
Brooklyn, NY

2 edits

visuelz to Yubin

to Yubin
I can connect to my Linksys Wi-fi after bridging and attempts to negotiate for an IP but fails (169.254.x.x). It works when I manually assign IP. Linksys DHCP is turned on. MAC filtering is off. Ethernet works good. Any help?

EDIT: Problem was with the router (Linksys WRT160N). Updated firmware but forgot to reset it . Thanks all.
o0godspeed0o
Premium Member
join:2002-06-30
Staten Island, NY

o0godspeed0o to Yubin

Premium Member

to Yubin
This is a great guide and has helped my tremendously. However, I have having a small issue.

Everything works great under this setup, however, whenever power is lost to the Actiontec router, the ethernet connection under the bridge becomes disabled. I have to manually go into the router GUI to re-enable it each time.

Is there something that I am missing? I tried looking around but haven't found anything about this issue. Its not a huge problem, just an inconvenience every time I find that VOD isn't working because the STB has no IP address due to the disabled bridge.

Thanks!
dick white
Premium Member
join:2000-03-24
Springfield, VA

dick white

Premium Member

godspeed, this is a known issue. The second bridge connection is maintained in volatile memory, not written to the static memory. Thus, it will be lost upon a power-out or other reset. The only solution is to get a small UPS and power the router through it. That way, you won't have a power outage at the router level unless it goes dark for several hours.

HTH
dw
o0godspeed0o
Premium Member
join:2002-06-30
Staten Island, NY

o0godspeed0o

Premium Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Will get a small UPS shortly.
substance12
join:2001-11-09
Torrance, CA

substance12 to Yubin

to Yubin
i'm totally fed up with having to reset my bridge connection. I've spent way too many hours struggling with it.

Would getting a NIM 100 off ebay solve my headaches with the bridge configuration? I read this was the device that the AT replaced... so it should work, right?

Or would I need to run cat5 from the ONT to "my" router and call up verizon to activate it? and if the AT is taken out of loop completely, what happens to the vod guide data on the STB?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by substance12:

Would getting a NIM 100 off ebay solve my headaches with the bridge configuration?
If you're thinking of using a NIM-100 between the ONT and your router, that won't work.

There two "flavors" of MOCA (ethernet over coax). MOCA WAN, which is used when your WAN is provisioned from the ONT over coax. MOCA LAN is used between the Actiontec and the STBs. MOCA WAN (if used) and MOCA LAN share the same physical coax connection to the Actiontec. They operate on different frequencies. NIM-100s support MOCA LAN only.

The Actiontec replaced a combination of a D-Link router and a NIM-100. At that time, ONTs did not support MOCA WAN, so cat5 was used to the D-Link. The NIM-100 provided the ethernet to MOCA LAN bridge for the STBs.

As long as you remain on a coax to the ONT, you need the Actiontec to serve as a MOCA WAN bridge. One of the downsides of the Double Bridge configuration is that the Actiontec will disable the second ethernet interface if it is rebooted. If running cat5 to the ONT is impractical, one option to consider is option 4 (single bridge internet only) plus a separate MOCA LAN bridge. You can find a list of MOCA LAN bridges here.
said by substance12:

Or would I need to run cat5 from the ONT to "my" router and call up verizon to activate it? and if the AT is taken out of loop completely, what happens to the VOD guide data on the STB?
If you want to eliminate the Actiontec as a MOCA WAN bridge, then you need to switch to a cat5 connection between the ONT and your router. With your router as primary, you still need a MOCA LAN bridge for the STBs, however, you can use the Actiontec as only a MOCA bridge. No need for a NIM-100 in this configuration.

You can find the advantages and disadvantages of the various configurations here:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
substance12
join:2001-11-09
Torrance, CA

substance12

in your post you refer to various moca lan devices but the NIM 100 is a part of that... and the NIM 100 wont' work for what I want it to do. 2 of those devices are certified for moca wan and lan. does that mean I can just use one of them to completely replace the AT?

I can run ethernet from the ONT, it's just a last resort.

i use a tivo and at this point i don't care about the verizon supplied stb I have in my house. I had vod working once but could never get it back.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by substance12:

in your post you refer to various moca lan devices but the NIM 100 is a part of that...
Not sure what you mean by that. The NIM-100 is a simple MOCA LAN bridge which provides a path between an ethernet LAN and a MOCA LAN.

If you're going to abandon the Verizon STBs, then you don't need MOCA LAN or a MOCA LAN bridge at all.
said by substance12:

2 of those devices are certified for moca wan and lan. does that mean I can just use one of them to completely replace the AT?
In theory, yes. No one has posted here about using a MOCA WAN bridge in front of a third party router. The DXN-221 only recently became available through retail channels. The Linksys does not appear to be available retail and the Netgear is only available in pairs.

h_2_o
@mchsi.com

h_2_o to Yubin

Anon

to Yubin
Great thread, i am looking into hooking up an out building for networking but need a bit stability than wireless can give me. the building is about 300 or so ft away from where i currently have a house wired. what i am curious about is if i run a rgb6 cable from one building to the other, no splits good stuff, can the 424wr handle that type of distance over coax and what types of speeds can i realistically expect to get? I was looking at the gefens but this seems to be a much more affordable solution.

thanks
OdyMan
join:2004-11-16
Chino Hills, CA

OdyMan to Yubin

to Yubin
I have my Actiontec (Rev a-d) and Linksys WRT160N w/ DD-WRT connected. I'm able to get to the Internet from my PC's attached to the Linksys. I'm still unable to get VOD, etc on my STB's though.

I saw this pic: »/r0/do ··· 9/vz.png

It looks exactly like mine except on the bottom, mine says Coax is down. Everything else looks the same.

Can anyone tell me what's missing?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by OdyMan:

I'm able to get to the Internet from my PC's attached to the Linksys. I'm still unable to get VOD, etc on my STB's though.
If you can access the internet, but VOD and widgets are not working, that is usually an indication the second bridge is not setup correctly.

There is a problem with the screen shot you posted. You should not have an ethernet2 interface under the Network (H/O) bridge. There should not be an ethernet2 interface at all. Delete that interface, then move the ethernet interface under the Network (H/O) bridge by selecting the Network H/O bridge and checking the ethernet interface and the associated STP check box, then APPLY.

The "Broadband Connection (bridge) appears to be correct. Your coax connection under the Broadband Connection (bridge) should show as UP. It is curious that it does not show as up if the Broadband Coax interface is up.

What is the DHCP address range on your router?
If it is not the 192.168.1.x range, have you rebooted the STBs by unplugging the AC power so they can pull a new DHCP lease from your router? The power button is not sufficient to reboot the STBs.

The following post has some other hints that might be helpful.
»Re: Make your actiontec a bridge with VOD working with REV D

Josh Tessier
@verizon.net

Josh Tessier to Yubin

Anon

to Yubin
Yubin.. I have had my fios for about a year now, and the issues with the wireless have just started happening to me. I read your post and followed it step by step, but when I check the edit new connection and click finish it takes me to another page where I need to hit apply. At that point I can not find the DNS Server setting for the IP Distribution setting. I had to revert back to my old settings in order to get back to the internet. I have not seen anything recent on this subject so hopefully you are still out there, and can help. I am loosing my marbles here.. Thanks for you help.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

If all you are trying to do is add a Wireless Access Point, following the instructions here:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

With regard to the DNS server settings, I believe this post earlier in this thread addresses your issue:
»Re: Make your actiontec a bridge with VOD working with REV D

LAXGOLY
@vzbi.com

LAXGOLY to Josh Tessier

Anon

to Josh Tessier
MF.. Thank you for the reply, I did not find that post in my original reading sorry about that.. One more question if you dont mind, would simply adding a wireless access improve the connect(nat) issues? Or would adding a router be better. Thanks for you time..