share rss forum feed

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
reply to LAXGOLY

Re: Make your actiontec a bridge with VOD working with REV D

No problem. Took me a while to find my own post in the this thread.

No. Adding a WAP, per the first link, will not change any NAT issues. Adding a WAP can increase coverage if you are having wireless connection issues.

What Rev. of the Actiontec do you have?
Are you sure you are having NAT issues?
Do your connection issues occur on a wired connection?

spankynuts

join:2007-05-22
West Orange, NJ
reply to Yubin
For everybody who has got this to work successfully are you able to get caller id working? I'm using this method with my dlink dir-655 router, but my caller id is not working.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
CID, even with a VZ supported router configuration seems to be problematic. See this thread:
»Caller ID on TV

It also seems that with CID, like Remote DVR, VZ explictly checks for foreign routers. I expect that anyone using this method will have the same problems as with the remote DVR.

There is a solution posted for Remote DVR that seems to work (at least when Remote DVR is working at all) here:
»Re: FIOS TV Central website access with Non AT Router?
That approach may also work for CID.

Fatluv

@verizon.net
reply to Yubin
Ok all, I know this thread is kinda old, but I am stumped. I can follow until step 16, when I check the edit connection button it does not take me to the DNS/DHCP edit screen. It take me directly to the apply screen. Once I apply I can not find where to change these settings. I am running firmware version 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6. Verizon refuses to acknowledge there is an issue, and will not provide the Motorola bridge.. Can anyone help me out here, please I am not a router guy but I can follow directions..

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
16) Check Edit the Newly Created Connection and click on Finish

That should take your to the Configure Broadband Bridge screen.

Select "Use the following IP Address" from the Internet Protocol pull-down. Entry boxes should appear for an IP address. Enter an unused static IP address on the LAN subnet of your router. e.g. If the LAN IP address of your router is 192.168.0.1, enter 192.168.0.2.

When you selected "Use the following IP Address", additional lines should appear for DNS Server and IP Address Distribution.

fatluv

@vzbi.com
said by More Fiber:

16) Check Edit the Newly Created Connection and click on Finish

That should take your to the Configure Broadband Bridge screen.
The router/firmware is not acting in this way. I check the box for edit connection, however once I hit finish it goes directly to the apply screen, not the edit screen.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
Not sure why it's not taking you there.

In any case, click APPLY. It should take you back to the Network Connections screen to select the new bridge.

Or:
•My Network
•Network Connections
•Broadband Connection (bridge)
•Settings
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Fatluv20

@verizon.net
I am getting there.. I got the DNS server and DHCP settings to show following what you stated above however under DNS Server "obtain Ip's automatically is not an option". It gives me no DNS Server or use this DNS server. Any other thoughts, direction for me?

I really appriciate you taking the time to help me out.. VZC is driving me nuts..

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
said by Fatluv20 :

It gives me no DNS Server or use this DNS server.
You don't really need to specify DNS servers there.

The only reason we specified an IP address was so that the Actiontec would be accessible at a known address on your LAN in case you wanted to access its settings. If you leave the DNS server fields blank you will get a warning, but that won't affect anything, or you can put in the addresses of any DNS servers such as 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

dhjdhj

join:2009-03-10
Mount Kisco, NY
reply to Yubin
Maybe this is a silly solution but rather than going through the pain of configuring bridge mode (which I tried to do several times and couldn't get it working), I just enabled the DMZ feature of the Actiontec router so that every incoming packet just goes directly to my internal SonicWall router and my SonicWall then handles all port forwarding as necessary.

The STB program guides are now working perfectly as well.

Any downside to this approach?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
Per option 2 (DMZ) in this FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

PRO:

• Simple config change to create DMZ address for secondary (user) router.
• Eliminates need to configure port forwarding in both routers. Port Forwards are configured in secondary (user) router only.
• No cabling changes.
• Can be used with either a coax or cat5 connection to the ONT.
• Supports remote access to DVR

CON:

• Secondary (user) router is double NAT'ed.
• Still subject to small NAT table in the Actiontec.
--

dhjdhj

Mount Kisco, NY
reply to Yubin
Interesting --- a lot more pros than cons (grin).

Seriously though --- I understand the double nat issue (and not sure I care unless there's a significant performance hit) but why is the size of the NAT table in the actiontec relevant if everything is just going to a single DMZ port?

dhjdhj

Mount Kisco, NY
The other CON is that the secondary router still can't see the public ip address and so one can't use the router's built in support for updating tables at dyndns. So one has to run a dyndns client

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

1 edit
reply to dhjdhj
said by dhjdhj:

why is the size of the NAT table in the actiontec relevant if everything is just going to a single DMZ port?
Good question. The router still has to translate the external IP address to the inside address. birdfeedr See Profile did some testing with Steam about a year ago. See this thread.
»Steam on a router in the Actiontec DMZ
That testing seemed to indicate the router still uses the NAT table, even with the DMZ, although one user indicated different results.

I expect it has more to do with the firewall functionality of the Actiontec rather than port translation. i.e. Just because a host is in the DMZ does not mean that stateful packet inspection (SPI) is bypassed. A test that would be interesting would be to disable the firewall in the Actiontec to see if the DMZ is still limited by the NAT table.

said by dhjdhj:

The other CON is that the secondary router still can't see the public ip address and so one can't use the router's built in support for updating tables at dyndns. So one has to run a dyndns client
The Actiontec has a builtin DynDNS updater, so no need to run their client.
--

dhjdhj

Mount Kisco, NY
I actually did disable the actiontec firewall

shmee

join:2005-04-03
Phoenixville, PA
reply to Yubin
First off, my apologies for possibly being a bit lazy. I openly admit I have not read this thread in its entirety.

That being said, I was just hooked up with a fresh FiOS install this past Wednesday. I have coax running from my ONT to a Rev C Actiontec and also to my STB of course.

I have tried, well I've actually lost count as to the number of times, to follow the step-by-step instructions at the beginning of this thread, but to no avail.

At one point I thought I had all the necessary connections done properly and I was able to get my third party router (a Linksys WRT320N) to pull an IP from Verizon. Internet was working just fine, however I had no VOD or widgets and my STB was not pulling an IP at all.

Additionally, each time I managed to screw this up, I could not, for the life of me, get the router to reset properly so as to try again. I believe my Actiontec was locking up and not releasing the DHCP lease, and so I had to keep calling tech support and have them manually release the lease for me. After my third call in a single night, they were starting to get pretty ticked at me!

So I guess I'm just asking for some extra guidance here. I'm awful at networking, and while the original instructions are very detailed, I suppose they're not quite detailed enough for me.

Would anyone be willing to work one on one with me and guide me through this? Or if anyone could even just break down the steps a little bit more thoroughly? One major I question I have is with regard to the sequence (and even "timing" I guess is the way to put it?) in which you're supposed to connect the various cables. I assume you don't just hook them all up first and then dive in?

So confused, hah!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
said by shmee:

I've actually lost count as to the number of times, to follow the step-by-step instructions at the beginning of this thread, but to no avail.
Even though you have a Rev. C, you might try these instructions. I believe they also work with a Rev. C.
»Re: MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E Configuration Thread
said by shmee:

I was able to get my third party router (a Linksys WRT320N) to pull an IP from Verizon. Internet was working just fine, however I had no VOD or widgets and my STB was not pulling an IP at all.
Both the Rev. D and Rev. E instructions create two (confusingly labeled) bridges:
•Network (H/O) becomes the MOCA WAN to ethernet WAN bridge.
•New Broadband Bridge becomes the ethernet LAN to MOCA LAN bridge.
If your router can pull a VZ DHCP address, then the first bridge is working correctly.
If you have no VOD, then the second bridge is not setup correctly.
said by shmee:

I could not, for the life of me, get the router to reset properly so as to try again. I believe my Actiontec was locking up and not releasing the DHCP lease, and so I had to keep calling tech support and have them manually release the lease for me.
It's not an issue of the router locking up or not resetting. The problem is that when VZ issues a DHCP lease, VZ binds the MAC address of the router to that IP address for two hours. After 1 hour, most routers (including the Actiontec) will automatically renew the DHCP lease for another 2 hours, resulting in it never being released. See this FAQ for ways to release your DHCP lease:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease
said by shmee:

One major I question I have is with regard to the sequence (and even "timing" I guess is the way to put it?) in which you're supposed to connect the various cables.
•Start with only the coax and your PC connected to the Actiontec.
•When you release the WAN DHCP address of the Actiontec, you must immediately disconnect the Actiontec, or it will attempt reacquire a new WAN DHCP lease, which will prevent your router from obtaining a WAN DHCP lease.
•After you've created the first bridge, you should then connect a patch cable from the Actiontec LAN to the WAN port of your router. You should then have internet access from your router.
This process works best with 2 PCs (one connected to each router), although that is not a requirement. Keep in mind that once you've turned off DHCP in the Actiontec, your PC won't be able to get a DHCP address from the Actiontec. You'll have to use a static IP address on the same subnet.

•After you've created the second bridge, you can then connect a patch cable from your router's LAN to the Actiontec ethernet WAN port. Power up the STBs one at a time. They should then pull a DHCP address from your router.
--

shmee

Phoenixville, PA
Many, and I mean MANY, thanks to you, More Fiber!

It works! Internet, VOD and Widgets all happily chugging along! Wahooo!

I believe my stumbling block was that I was making all of my various cabling connections all right at the start. Going more slowly, in sequence, and stopping to verify internet connectivity after the first bridge definitely helped me.

There's just one odd thing that's occurred which has me curious. In my router (Linksys WRT320N) my DHCP client table shows my PC, the Actiontec and my STB on the LAN. All of these are to be expected of course. However, I'm also seeing one more device.

kimyuhyeon-PC

Huh? My PC is the first device with a 192.168.3.100 address. This kimyuhyeon-PC device is second with a 101. Then come the Actiontec with 102 and the STB with 103.

What in the world is this thing? One last interesting thing of note, all of my other devices have a 24 hour lease, whereas this thing has a 48 hour lease.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
•Do you have wireless enabled on the Linksys?
•Have you set security to WPA2 with a complex password?

My first reaction is that someone is leaching your wireless connection.
--

shmee

Phoenixville, PA
I finally had it. We've been having some severe weather (which I'm sure you've heard about in West Chester, hah!) and we lost power briefly today. I decided right then and there that I don't want to have to connect a cable to the actiontec, set a static IP on my PC and then re-enable the bridge everytime the power goes out.

So I went out and bought some Cat5e, then when I went to run the stuff, low and behold, there's pre-existing wiring just laying there bundled up in my drop ceiling!

Didn't even have to technically run the wiring, just unbundled it, traced it back and found that when the tech came out he had already hooked it into the ONT. All I had to do was run the other end into my den/office and a phone call to the FSC later and I'm running on Cat5 from my ONT.

This is soooo much easier.

And as for the random machine on my Linksys LAN, I honestly still have no idea what happened there. It's gone now.

JTS33

join:2003-05-03
USA
shmee,

How does the setup change when you're on Cat5 from the ONT to your router?

I'm on Cat5 already from ONT to my Verizon Westell MoCa router...I'm hoping that makes it easier to switch to a Linksys router while maintaining the TV functionality.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
said by JTS33:

I'm on Cat5 already from ONT to my Verizon Westell MoCa router...I'm hoping that makes it easier to switch to a Linksys router while maintaining the TV functionality.
You've already got the hardest part done. Follow the links at the end of this FAQ. »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet

If you have questions, post in a new topic, as this is not specific to bridging.

stychic

join:2007-04-29
Sherman Oaks, CA
reply to Yubin
I'm a Verizon Fios subscriber using a coax Westell UltraLine Series3 modem/router to control my internet and HD DVRs.

I'm planning on connecting an "N" rated linksys router the the Westell to increase the LAN WiFi speeds. Would your details above work for the Westell?

When speaking to Verizon tech support they suggested I only disable the WiFi on the Westell and simply plug in the Linksys to one of the available ethernet ports. When I explained I did not want to double NAT and firewall I was informed that he does not recommend doing that as the firewall/ethernet port settings control the DVR and I might lose the TV programming and widgets.

I just want to use the faster Linksys and have the Westell in bridge mode (maybe only only running the necessary TV guide services).

Cheers.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
There are a number of different ways to connect your own router. Each method has different trade-offs. Details are in this FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

Note that the double bridge method (option 5 - this thread) you are asking about is not supported on the Westell.

Given that you have a Westell, I would suggest switching to an ethernet WAN connection and placing the Westell behind your router for the STBs. VOD, guide data and widgets will still work. You will give up remote DVR and on-screen call ID though, unless you want to go to a lot of trouble.
--

stychic

Sherman Oaks, CA
Thank you More Fiber for the prompt and invaluable information. I find your knowledge and easy to follow instructions a great help - way more in depth than the Verizon FiOs Tech support.

stychic

Sherman Oaks, CA
I'm leaning more toward option 3 now.

Option 3 (LAN-LAN) connection mentioned disabling the DHCP on the secondary router; the ISP provided router will be serving out the IPs. With that reasoning in mind - would it also make sense to disable the firewall on the secondary router?

The secondary router will mostly act as a switch with faster N WiFi.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
said by stychic:

Option 3 (LAN-LAN) connection mentioned disabling the DHCP on the secondary router;
With the LAN-to-LAN configuration, you could disable the DHCP server in either router .

Since there is some vendor specific (option code 60) information for the STBs returned in the DHCP response from the VZ router, I recommend using the DHCP server in the VZ router unless there is an overriding reason not to.
said by stychic:

would it also make sense to disable the firewall on the secondary router?
It would make no difference.

The firewall applies to the WAN connection. In the LAN-to-LAN configuration there is no WAN connection to the user router.
said by stychic:

The secondary router will mostly act as a switch with faster N WiFi.
Correct.
--