uniqs
share rss forum feed

JTS33

join:2003-05-03
USA
reply to shmee

Re: Make your actiontec a bridge with VOD working with REV D

shmee,

How does the setup change when you're on Cat5 from the ONT to your router?

I'm on Cat5 already from ONT to my Verizon Westell MoCa router...I'm hoping that makes it easier to switch to a Linksys router while maintaining the TV functionality.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
said by JTS33:

I'm on Cat5 already from ONT to my Verizon Westell MoCa router...I'm hoping that makes it easier to switch to a Linksys router while maintaining the TV functionality.
You've already got the hardest part done. Follow the links at the end of this FAQ. »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet

If you have questions, post in a new topic, as this is not specific to bridging.

stychic

join:2007-04-29
Sherman Oaks, CA
reply to Yubin
I'm a Verizon Fios subscriber using a coax Westell UltraLine Series3 modem/router to control my internet and HD DVRs.

I'm planning on connecting an "N" rated linksys router the the Westell to increase the LAN WiFi speeds. Would your details above work for the Westell?

When speaking to Verizon tech support they suggested I only disable the WiFi on the Westell and simply plug in the Linksys to one of the available ethernet ports. When I explained I did not want to double NAT and firewall I was informed that he does not recommend doing that as the firewall/ethernet port settings control the DVR and I might lose the TV programming and widgets.

I just want to use the faster Linksys and have the Westell in bridge mode (maybe only only running the necessary TV guide services).

Cheers.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
There are a number of different ways to connect your own router. Each method has different trade-offs. Details are in this FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

Note that the double bridge method (option 5 - this thread) you are asking about is not supported on the Westell.

Given that you have a Westell, I would suggest switching to an ethernet WAN connection and placing the Westell behind your router for the STBs. VOD, guide data and widgets will still work. You will give up remote DVR and on-screen call ID though, unless you want to go to a lot of trouble.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

stychic

Sherman Oaks, CA
Thank you More Fiber for the prompt and invaluable information. I find your knowledge and easy to follow instructions a great help - way more in depth than the Verizon FiOs Tech support.

stychic

Sherman Oaks, CA
I'm leaning more toward option 3 now.

Option 3 (LAN-LAN) connection mentioned disabling the DHCP on the secondary router; the ISP provided router will be serving out the IPs. With that reasoning in mind - would it also make sense to disable the firewall on the secondary router?

The secondary router will mostly act as a switch with faster N WiFi.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
said by stychic:

Option 3 (LAN-LAN) connection mentioned disabling the DHCP on the secondary router;
With the LAN-to-LAN configuration, you could disable the DHCP server in either router .

Since there is some vendor specific (option code 60) information for the STBs returned in the DHCP response from the VZ router, I recommend using the DHCP server in the VZ router unless there is an overriding reason not to.
said by stychic:

would it also make sense to disable the firewall on the secondary router?
It would make no difference.

The firewall applies to the WAN connection. In the LAN-to-LAN configuration there is no WAN connection to the user router.
said by stychic:

The secondary router will mostly act as a switch with faster N WiFi.
Correct.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.