spc
Search similar:

uniqs

CP4
@ripnet.com

CP4

Anon

DSL-300G back-2-back

Using two DSL-300g aDSL modems is is possible to configure each device in such a way to preform a point to point connection between the two using the ADSL connection port?

I am setting this up my lab, Is a back2-back connection possible? Do you know which cable is required?

I want to then use the Ethernet ports on each for my LAN on each end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rperkin
join:2003-12-12
UK

rperkin

I am not a network engineer and am willing to be corrected, but I understand that the answer is:

No - you cannot connect two ADSL modems back-to-back.

You can however connect two SDSL modems back-to-back.

As far as the cable is concerned, any twisted pair cable which reverses the Receive and Transmit connections will be fine. You should be able to make one up yourself using an RJ11 crimping tool. The RJ11 connector has 6 contact positions; in this application, only pins 3 (Receive) and 4 (Transmit) are used. So make up a cable with pin 3 at one end connected to pin 4 at the other, and pin 4 connected to pin 3. This will ensure that what is transmitted from one end is received on the correct pin at the other end.

One further point - you say that you want to connect two remote Ethernet segments. In this application you do not want traffic for local Ethernet addresses propagating to the remote segment. One way to prevent this is to interpose an Ethernet switch at each end.

Of course, depending on distance, you could forget the modem pair and just use a long Ethernet cable (you did say it was a lab application) or an Ethernet bridge...

Hope this helps