how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BKJ

@verizon.net
reply to Yubin

Re: Make your actiontec a bridge with VOD working with REV D

I must be a complete idiot because for the life of me I cant get vod or widgets to work. The only thing that I have succeeded in doing is having my router of choice pull an ip from verizon. I can surf the net and things but everything else fails. Set-top boxes cant get an ip, vod/widgets do not work. I have tried almost every post/solution to this but cant get it to all work together. I am at a lose. I think part of my problem is the bridge setups. I use smoothwall as my fw/router which has two nics one WAN and one private/lan (192.168.1.0) address. I can't change this because I have to many things configured (AD/dns/dhcp/ and a plethra of other things). I would even pay someone to get my vod/widgets working correctly.

baygins

join:2002-06-18
Arlington, VA
Hey BKJ,
Having similar pains as you are; all IP setups and cabling are according to the guides, STB gets an IP (sometimes 192.168.1.2, sometimes 192.168.100.1) but VoD and Widgets are a no go.
I heard somewhere that the STBs need a 192.168.100.1 address to work properly. I dont know why that would be requirement if all they have to do is to do a DNS query for the head-end servers and then establish a silly IP connection

baygins

join:2002-06-18
Arlington, VA
Wait, this is unbelievable!!! Right after I posted the above, I went back to my STB, saw that it pulled a 192.168.0.124 address (my Linksys WRT54GL is configured for 192.168.0.x address space); and VoD & widgets work.
Interesting eh?

Yubin

@verizon.net
Glad I could help!

BKJ

@verizon.net
reply to baygins
baygins any chance of contacting you directly? I live in the dc area as well.

BKJ

@verizon.net
uggg.... lol now i am the only one who cant get this crap right...

Yubin

@verizon.net
reply to BKJ
BKJ, your fw with two nics should still work. Honestly, I use a server as my fw/router with a bridged router on the back side of it. It is essentially the same as what you have. Just plug the ethernet cable from your actiontec into your WAN nic of your fw, then do the opposite, ethernet cable from your fw to the actiontec wan port.

You can also try changing your home/network DHCP server in the actiontec to a DHCP relay so that it does not conflict with your smoothwall.

Do you have a yahoo messenger account? I can talk to you on there and help you out.

BKJ

@verizon.net
no i dont have yahoo messanger but i can/do have voip or cell number that i can give to you. If you prefer anoher way that would be great as well the problem with yahoo messanger is that when i plug my smoothwall lan into actiontec wan i can no longer get out on the inet.

yubin7

join:2008-02-17
Desoto, TX
ok send me your cell in an IM here and I'll call you.

BKJ

@verizon.net
did you get it?