spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kelhess
join:2002-02-03
Mogadore, OH

kelhess

I want true 800 to ring to my VOIP

I want a true 800 number to ring into my voip and have been sitting here a the computer all night!

I've found plenty of 866, 877, etc, , but I want a true 800.

Second question.....
If I know of an 800 number that is currently disconnected, how do I find out what company "owns" it, so that I can attempt to contact them to "buy" the number, then (hopefully) transfer it to my voip carrier....

Thanks for any suggestions....

RockyBB
Premium Member
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO

2 edits

RockyBB

Premium Member

I do telecom for a living and would be delighted to help you with that. PM me if you would like some guidance.

For the sake of the thread, I'll answer your question. To find out what carrier controls a toll-free number, you can call the phone number that I'll PM to you. I don't want to publicize the number in an open forum to prevent lots of calls to that number which would potentially cause the provider to take it down. Call the number, then key in the phone number you're inquiring about. The system will tell you the carrier (or its code if a small carrier), and a trouble reporting phone number for the carrier. Then you can call them and be told that it's in aging and not going to be released to you.

There are some websites where you can search online for toll-free numbers in the pool of unassigned available numbers. The one I use is »businessesales.att.com/p ··· up.jhtml
That site shows no 800 numbers generally available right now, but one of my specialty providers has a pool of available 800 area code numbers ... it won't be pretty, or have repeating digits, but it will have a 800 area code. There is a $15 one time charge to activate a 800 area code number with that provider.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL

4 edits

N9MD to kelhess

Premium Member

to kelhess
Most VoIP providers do not provide TollFree (800, 888, 877, 866) numbers. However, what you want is very easy to accomplish. TollFree numbers require you to assign a "ring to" telephone number -- the line that will actually answer incoming calls. The "ring to" number may be a home or business number, a beeper number, a cell phone number, or a VoIP number -- so long as this number has an area code plus 7-numbers. It doesn't matter where you obtain your TF number --- meaning you do not have to get it from a VoIP provider.

Dial 1-800-337-4194 and, when asked by the canned voice, enter the 10-digit TF# you are investigating. The system will tell you who controls that number (e.g., ATT, Verizon, ATX, Qwest, etc.) and provide you with a "trouble shooting" number to contact that carrier. This "controlling" carrier is called the "Responsible Organization" usually referred to as the RespOrg.

Other than attempting an on-line reverse-411 lookup or actually dialing a TF# to ask "who owns the number" -- there ain't no way to know if the number is active. And even if a TF number seems to ring and ring forever when dialed, suggesting that it has been disconnected, does not mean you can get that number (except possibly from the RespOrg that controls the number).

I will leave it to others to make suggestions regarding TollFree providers which generally charge a monthly fee for the number and per minute charges on top of that. But here's a site that allows you to see what numbers are still available in the TollFree "pool". Even though this is an ATT site, you can use any TF company that allows you to choose your own number for obtaining a "nice" number. You can select a specific TF area code or do a general 8** search.

»businessesales.att.com/p ··· =kwstoll

I was amazed to find that there is not one single 800 available in the "pool" nor are there any 8**-***-*000 or 8**-***-**00 numbers remaining. That does not mean that all of the 800 numbers are actually in use. It just means that all 800 numbers are now or were in the past assigned to someone -- or reserved for assignment by a TF provider such as Qwest or MCI. Many of the TF Providers do have true 800 numbers to give out.

Historically, very few TF numbers are actually returned to the TF "pool" even though the controlling TF agency SMS/800 requires TF#s to be returned to the "pool" after a certain periond of disuse.

»www.icbtollfree.com/arti ··· eId=5886

-=-=-=-
Oy! I wondered who was typing while I was typing. RockyBB's brevity beat my longevity to the punch. But since brilliant minds think alike, we both gave you the same references. But I was brave enough (or possibly silly enough) to post the AmeriTech TF lookup number. I've shown the number in tiny type so only those few BBR members with 20/20 vision will be able to read it, thereby cutting down on abuse.

RockyBB
Premium Member
Steamboat Springs, CO

RockyBB

Premium Member

not bad, Doc! Since we like to give out general guidance around here, and certainly folks are reading this thread and not asking questions, let's give the most important guidance.

DO NOT USE YOUR VOIP PROVIDER TO CARRY YOUR TOLL-FREE NUMBER. Instead use a different provider that will "point" your toll-free number to your VOIP phone number. The reason is simply control. Your VOIP provider one day might not
--support you pointing your toll-free number to an off-net number.
--allow you to port a number out if you don't meet certain criteria (if you think POTS number ports are tough, know that toll-free port outs have several additional criteria that can block your wishes)
--provide some of the advanced toll-free features that you might one day want
--allow changes in a timely manner
--be around. I don't remember if SunRocket had toll-free numbers, but that would have been a big mess for any business.

One can open a "toll-free only" account with most traditional long distance carriers, and point your calls to your VOIP phone number.
priller
join:2000-10-20
Gainesville, VA

priller

Do most VoIP providers get their TollFree numbers out of some crappy pool of recycled calling card numbers?

I tried them a couple of times from different providers. In each case, I started getting calls from convenience stores and motels within hours. People would be calling at all hours of the day and night.

RockyBB
Premium Member
Steamboat Springs, CO

1 edit

RockyBB

Premium Member

said by priller:

Do most VoIP providers get their TollFree numbers out of some crappy pool of recycled calling card numbers?
Yes, that is the great secret of VOIP providers, that they get their toll-free numbers from a pool of recycled calling card numbers. Of course, that's another reason not to get your toll-free number from a VOIP provider, that it will be a recycled number from a pool of old calling cards.

When selecting the number at assignment, there is a minimum level of protection you can do, which is simply to "google" the toll-free number to see any traces of it remaining online. If the number was to a small religious bookstore in Grand Island, Nebraska you'll probably be OK. If it was the phone number for Snoop Dogg's fan club printed on 3 million CDs in 1999, then you should probably pick another.

mgraves1
Premium Member
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX

mgraves1 to kelhess

Premium Member

to kelhess
I recommend Junction Networks, who can provide you an 800 number via SIP or IAX2. »www.junctionnetworks.com/

I have no connection to them beyond being a happy user of their OnSIP hosted PBX.
priller
join:2000-10-20
Gainesville, VA

3 edits

priller

said by mgraves1:

I recommend Junction Networks, who can provide you an 800 number via SIP or IAX2. »www.junctionnetworks.com/

I also use Junction Networks as a VoIP provider (PSTN Gateway) and highly recommend them.

However, they were one of the providers where I got an old calling card 800 number from.
emoci
join:2007-05-29
York, ON

emoci to kelhess

to kelhess
I would suggest either Callture.com (Telcan.net) or Kall8 for a TollFree number....

Callture/Telcan is $14.99 setup and $2/month for 1-800

Kall8 is $5 setup and $5/month for 1-800

Both sell actual Toll-Free numbers that can be forwarded to any number from that point on....You'll find that the price with most VSPs is the same or higher, and you will not have the possibility to ring anywhere

I have been using Callture for the last year or so without issues

(On a sidenote though, unless there is a compelling reason to have 1-800 at any cost, I think you may find a 1-888 just as effective, but cheaper in that there are no setup costs)