spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sbazzle

@qwest.net

[TWC] Remote Access to my Cable Modem

This has been something I've wanted to do for quite a while, but have yet to figure out a way to do it. Here's the issue:

My cable modem (Surfboard SB4200) sometimes stops sending and receiving data. Obviously, the simple fix is to unplug it, and plug it back in. Then everything is fine. But what if my modem stops when I'm away from home? I have no way to unplug it.

Now when I'm at home, and know you can access the modem using the IP 192.168.100.1. But how can I access the modem remotely? If my ISP can get in there and reset it from their end, how can I do it from wherever I am??

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06

If your modem is offline, there is no way to reset it. Your ISP can only reset it if its online, and even if its offline they can send the command, but it's not going to do anything...

sbazzle

@rr.com

said by Jabbu:

If your modem is offline, there is no way to reset it. Your ISP can only reset it if its online, and even if its offline they can send the command, but it's not going to do anything...
Yeah, that's actually what I want to know. How do they access it? I guess I figured there was some way I could do it from the command line, or from my browser using my IP address.

kba4

join:2001-10-23
Canton, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

the modem probably has a couple 'private' IP's, one in the common 192.168.*.* range and another that correlates with all the other CPE (customer premise equipment) in their network (cable boxes, modems, VoIP boxes, etc.), usually these are in the 10.x.x.x range but it's whatever the cable op wants really...

the cable office can see your modem both by their internally assigned IP and it's public IP, but of course never the 192.168.*.* private IP that you're able to access. in any case, IF they can see the modem, then they can run diagnostics, and probably even reset it... but if you're offline to the rest of the internet, other than your local LAN, they'll never see you, let alone the modem, so nobody will be able to run diag's at that point.

if you really want to accomplish a remote reset, look into a secondary ISP connection, DSL or something else 'always on', and get a KVM on the net switch which will allow you to operate any connected PC via the ISP's connection.

»www.cyberguys.com/templates/Sear···ID=12034
--
illegal wars, prisoners with no trials, and state controlled media. welcome to the land of the free!

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium
join:2001-07-14
SoCal
kudos:3
reply to sbazzle

If you have to power cycle the modem to restore connectivity then just logging into the modem won't do what you want.

Cable ISPs reset the modem remotely through SNMP commands which means it only works if the modem has connectivity.

You'll need a way to powercycle the modem remotely.

Look for an "out of band" power switch, or a UPS that allows for dial-in connections to reset it (and any connected gear).
--
Don't mind me, I'm just trying to help...

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to sbazzle

MacLeech has the best advice to reset the modem, which is even more than your ISP can do. A remotely controlled UPS or house switch can be fairly cheap these days.

I was having major connection issues when I had some Toshiba modems, as well as when areas next to mine were transitioning from Adelphia to TWC. I know this might not help much in your case, but you can remotely access the modem config screen quite easily. My connection would always come back up and I was having to go away on business and wanted to check my modem's logs to monitor if the connection was getting any better while I was away(the modem's logs could be accessed through the 192.168.x.x address in the configuration screen).

It can be done with these items very easily. I am sure it is also possible with other methods, including ones for Windows, but this method is pretty secure.

1. A PC with Linux installed, and set to power on in the case of power failures.
2. OpenSSH server installed and running with tunneling enabled.
3. A Linux client PC or laptop with the OpenSSH client.
4. A registered domain from no-ip.com
5. The no-ip client confirmed to be installed and running on the home PC behind the modem.

Firstly, if you have NAT, be sure that port 22 is forwarded. Make sure the OpenSSH server is running at startup. Run a port checker to confirm that the port is forwarded with the server running. Make sure the no-ip dynamic update client for Linux is running at startup properly by checking its logs. Now, login to the ssh tunnel on a port of your choice as the local relay port on the client. We'll use 1080 for test purposes.

Login to your server from an outside connection with this syntax

ssh -C -D 1080 yourusername@yourdomainname.no-ip.org

You should see this

Password:

Enter your user password for your Linux computer and press enter.

If done right, you should now see a shell console.

Set Firefox(or another browser) to use a SOCKS5 proxy at address 127.0.0.1 port 1080(or whichever port you chose before)

Now, just login from the remote browser like you normally would, using the 192.168.x.x address. You should now see your modem login screen. Have fun!

Note: SSH connections can be slow and terminate during inactivity with default configurations. This can be fixed, but I won't get into this for our purposes.

Note 2: PuTTy for Windows can replace the OpenSSH client if the remote client PC you're using to access the modem runs Windows. It does a very good job.

Note3: Be sure to use a strong ssh password. This is a very secure method because all data sent between your home PC and the remote PC is encrypted. Hence, why I like this method.

netsysadmin

@unc.edu
reply to sbazzle

If you have a home phone that is not VOIP just get an X10 light/appliance module and a dial-in X10 controller. Both can be bought for around $60. You hook the dial-in controller up to you phone line. When you have an issue dial into the controller and enter you access code and then the code to turn that module off then on. Its a cheap easy way to do remote on/off.

John