spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bryan Balliett

@qwest.net

Qwest Connection Keeps Going Offline

We just got the Platinum plan, and the network has been going on and offline by itself, and right now it's really bad. The DSL lights sometimes go off on the modem, but mostly the internet just dies, then comes back again. It still says I am online, but with the desktop that is plugged in to the ethernet ports, it constantly says "Network Cable unplugged" and then goes away.

What the hell could this be?

Bryanrbikes

join:2008-02-18
Colorado Springs, CO

Oh yes, by the way I am in Colorado Springs, CO.

dslrus

join:2008-01-03
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Bryan Balliett

Has this ever worked or is this a new installation? If the DSL light is not solid or does not stay solid it is most likely a training issue. Do you see an WAN IP on your modem page and if so what is is?

Bryanrbikes

Colorado Springs, CO
reply to Bryan Balliett

Yeah, I've got this:

Primary DNS: 205.171.3.65
Secondary DNS: 205.171.2.65

And actually, I've noticed that it actually only goes down when I am downloading torrents, and it gets up to a reasonable 60-80kb/s and then the DSL just dies...

dslrus

join:2008-01-03
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Bryan Balliett

Sounds like it might be modem related. Can you get the WAN IP?

js23186

join:2005-08-02
North Platte, NE
reply to Bryan Balliett

trying changing the cat5 cable between you modem and PC. Could be as simple as the cable being bad. Even if I unplug the DSL/phone line coming into the modem, my PC stay connected to the modem, and I don't get "Network Cable unplugged".

Vin DSL

join:2002-08-10
Gilbert, AZ
reply to Bryanrbikes

said by Bryanrbikes:

And actually, I've noticed that it actually only goes down when I am downloading torrents, and it gets up to a reasonable 60-80kb/s and then the DSL just dies...
LoL!

Welcome to The New World Order!

»news.google.com/news?q=bittorrent+blocking

Bryanrbikes

Colorado Springs, CO
reply to Bryan Balliett

Oh, so Qwest is a part of that?

I thought it was only Comcast....

madd74

join:2003-08-01
Des Moines, IA
reply to Bryanrbikes

Yep, as noted, you are a part of p2p attacking. There are ways around it, so I hear (keep in mind, I *just* researched this information today). Attempt using uTorrent and encryping to see if that works. Also, there is a program called PeerGuardian (if you search, will find plenty of information on it) to see if this helps. I am going to attempt this later tonight, to see if it helps me, and will report if it works.

no_one

@PHNX.QWEST.NET
reply to Bryan Balliett

What modem do you have. Some modems are not the best for mass torent conections so a little more on the setup.
Plus still is this a brand new connection?

mo_one

@PHNX.QWEST.NET
reply to Bryan Balliett

Plus would traffic shaping kill the connection???

no_one

@PHNX.QWEST.NET
reply to Bryan Balliett

Ok yes it would kill it in as in use but physically as the op says lights on connection on and off. Certain modems and routers do play better with torrents. But even the ones that do not unless a dramatic change the connection if even unusable is still there.
So even if ISP throttle the connection should still be there just thwacked.

Bryanrbikes

Colorado Springs, CO
reply to Bryan Balliett

I've got the 2-Wire 2701HG-D modem, I'm connected wirelessly to it.

Sometimes when I see the d/l rate drop fast, I'll run out and see if the modem's DSL light is solid or flashing, and sometimes it will be flashing, and sometimes not..

I'll look into securing my torrents... I'm on a Mac so I'll have to see if Transmission supports that.

Buns

join:2007-05-02
Eugene, OR
reply to Bryan Balliett

I have a friend that upgraded too the 1.5 from 256. He has the same problem.

Also I have seen this using intel branded MB's using P965 & G965 Raid & none Raid. Don't know if any other series are affected.

Note:
As of yet` all others seem too function OK that I have sold.

Mudfinger

join:2008-02-26
reply to Bryan Balliett

Im in colo spgs too, new to dsl and qwest and have this problem as well. but i am experiencing it on plain old web sites, and streaming web content? forget it. is your modem constantly retraining? i posted some info from my dsl status page hopefully someone can decipher it. chk post:

»DSL Connection Problems

wingman99

join:2003-12-18
Opelika, AL

said by Mudfinger:

Im in colo spgs too, new to dsl and qwest and have this problem as well. but i am experiencing it on plain old web sites, and streaming web content? forget it. is your modem constantly retraining? i posted some info from my dsl status page hopefully someone can decipher it. chk post:

»DSL Connection Problems
SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): 9/17

You SNR is real low on the download side that points to a phone line problem, it can be anywhere from your modem to the DSLAM.

Daddy Long Legs

@teletech.com
reply to Bryan Balliett

SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): 9/17

You SNR is real low on the download side that points to a phone line problem, it can be anywhere from your modem to the DSLAM.
----------------------------------------
Yes, I would agree with this. However, if this frequently happen, I would go and check first the physical things could probably cause the problem. Like, modem, filters,or something is in between your wireless modem and your laptop. You really need to check your connectivity first based on what you see on the modem itself. If the dsl light on your modem, that means that all those I've mentioned could be the cause of the problem. If all those are checked and still the same, I would say it could be the port on DSLAM is bad or the modem itself is not that reliable.