spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pittsburgh Mom

@verizon.net

[trouble] DSL works, but phone does not

33 days ago I had Verizon high speed internet installed ($15/month DSL). Until today I have not had any problems. Today, however, I noticed that none of my phones work anymore. Instead of a dial tone, I get a loud buzzing noise. Other people can call me (my phone rings), but they cannot hear me when I answer the phone. Both parties simply hear the loud buzzing noise. I cannot call anyone, because I cannot get a dial tone. My DSL works fine, however. I have tried disconnecting all phones (and everything else plugged into my house) and trying two phones outside at the network box. The same situation occurs there. Can this be related to my recent DSL installation? My 30-day trial is up, so I cannot cancel without penalty any longer. Any advice you could provide would be appreciated. (I have submitted a trouble ticket to Verizon, but the first service appointment is one week from today.)

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
Did you try checking the line outside in the customer service box (I think called Demark?)? Not sure if that will help any. Otherwise, is it a "static" like buzzing noise (where it goes EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH)? There are loads of phone lines out where I am that are that old to get that happening every few hours to a solid buzzing noise for days on end lately. I don't know what causes it, other than me thinking old copper (I live pretty much right near the city). Fortunately for me, my line pair is only 5 years old. But in the places where phones are crap, Verizon is running FiOS, and where there is no FiOS yet, there is certainly usable Cable connections around.

So yeah, check the DSL filters in your house, check the signal outside of the house in the Demark (name?), and if it still is very staticey/noisy even outside, then call Voice repair to have them fix their lines. Also, is the DSL losing sync at all when in call or when not using the phone?

Pittsburgh Mom

@verizon.net
Yes, I did try checking the line outside in the customer service box. The same thing occurs there. It does sound like EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH. I have not had any problem with the DSL not working. I cannot call anyone, however, to see if I lose connection, since I cannot get a dial tone.

pmiguel2

join:2005-12-13
Lafayette, IN
Just call Verizon voice tech service from somewhere. DSL should not cause that problem. Obvious, severe problems like yours they are usually pretty good about fixing.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

3 edits
reply to Pittsburgh Mom
Well, if you don't have a cell phone, at least be glad that despite all of that noise the DSL is working. Go with VoIP to call Verizon if you don't want to use a neighbor's line or a cell phone from someone else . It'll probably be easier anyways.

And geez, I'm suprised DSL can work with all of that noise on the line. Dial-up certainly can't unless you want to be downloading at 23 bytes a second when the noise monster comes (believe me, in my area, the phone lines out in the city are THAT crappy). but despite the crapiness of the lines out in the city, especially where my one family relative lives that has 40+ year old copper lines soon to be replaced with Fiber due to age, they get the buzzing noise LOADS of times throughout the day, and they can't hear anyone because the buzzing drowns out all noise on the line, but people can hear them on the other end without any buzzing. I'm letting them borrow a cell phone for when they have line problems and they are calling Verizon Repair.

cool65ss

@verizon.net
reply to Pittsburgh Mom
I had the same problem a couple years ago. It was worse when it rains. My DSL was working fine but I had a loud buzzing sound on the phone. Verizon replaced all the lines from the pole to the house and I sill had problems. Then a couple weeks later it got worse. They finally found some of the wires(wet) were bad a couple houses down.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
reply to Pittsburgh Mom
Hey, the Verizon guy down the road from me says he deals with these problems all the time. It can range from something grounding out, to something shorting out slightly as well, along with, of course bad wiring. I think that High voltage Power Lines can also do this as well if they're close enough. Hope this helps a bit

tonyur

@verizon.net
reply to Pittsburgh Mom
My DSl works but my phone are not I call my number using my cell phone and I hear my phone ringing but does not make any ringing here,I can't call only hear a buzzing sound no tone. What is going on Icall verizon and they don't have a clue.very disappointed and soon to be ex-customer G.Chumbriay adieu verizon !!!!and FISA THE CULPRIT!!

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
reply to Pittsburgh Mom
Your english is hard to understand, but what you need to do since it sounds like you have the loud buzzing as well, but the DSL still works is call Voice Repair. They'll fix it for you.

starrin

join:2005-05-29
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Pittsburgh Mom
said by Pittsburgh Mom :

Today, however, I noticed that none of my phones work anymore. Instead of a dial tone, I get a loud buzzing noise. Can this be related to my recent DSL installation? My 30-day trial is up, so I cannot cancel without penalty any longer. Any advice you could provide would be appreciated. (I have submitted a trouble ticket to Verizon, but the first service appointment is one week from today.)
DSL can work with only one wire; you phone cannot. You have a phone problem, not a DSL problem. You need to contact those folks, not the DSL folks. If the phone folks have given you a one week lead time to an appointment, scream bloody murder - not only to them, but to your state communication commission (whatever PA calls it), and make sure the phone folks know that is where the next call goes. You have been left w/o any ability to dial 9-1-1. Totally unsat. I used the scattergun approach for an identical problem, and it must have worked, because the next day the problem went away, and no one knew where it was, nor why it suddenly got better.
Here in VA in the front of the phone book, there is a specific section on "What to do if I am not fully satisfied with the solution...." You might see if it is in your book.

puc

@comcast.net
reply to Pittsburgh Mom
in pa ypu call the puc, public utility commision verizon is required to give you the number if you ask