spc
Search similar:

uniqs
REDWOLF70
join:2000-09-08
Colton, CA

REDWOLF70

SBC/Pacbell Dsl Random Drops, Disconnect Please HELP

30 days or so my connection stared to drop for 5 seconds or so then comes back, it's enough to disconnect me from World of Warcraft or drop my Ventrillo to the point I have now been banned from my vent channel, My connection drops about once every 30 minutes or so I do have four computers connected to a Router and they all drops at the same time, please help if you can here is my information.

Elite (6.0Mbps down)
Modem brand/model: Home portal 1000s
router brand/model: Linksys 8 port BEFSR81

powered off the modem and started it again and whether or not that made any changes with your problem

checked to ensure that ALL devices plugged into the wall jacks serviced by your DSL phone number (except the DSL modem) have filters fitted.

PPPoE login info (username & password) entered in the modem

lights on the modem when the trouble occurs: All light stay Green, all normal
Do you hear any type of noise on the
DSL phone line or any other unusual telephone symptoms: all is fine.

»homeportal/management/li ··· ics.html
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
tonydi
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA

tonydi

Premium Member

I usually suggest simplifying the configuration as the first step in troubleshooting. Since all computers lose connection together and the modem lights don't show any signs of trouble, I'd say take one computer and hook it directly to the 2wire modem, eliminating the Linksys from the loop. If it works fine there then you've narrowed it down to the router.

This should also allow you to get to the statistics page.
bayrider
join:2006-02-24
Stevenson Ranch, CA

bayrider to REDWOLF70

to REDWOLF70
I'm getting these same repeated timeouts. I had them going for 1.5 months strong from November to early January. Then for a couple weeks things were fine. Now these last few days my internet has reverted to timing out every few seconds. I can't even listen to a 96kbps mp3 stream without it breaking up every 20 seconds.

I'm going to fill out that same info sheet posted here and if I can't find a solution I am getting rid of this garbage AT&T/SBC/Whatever new merger DSL crap and go with a real ISP.

When I lived in Canada, with Sympatico, I NEVER had a single problem with my DSL for 5 years. Not one dropped connection over that span. It was PERFECT. SBC on the other hand has been nothing but crap and more crap piled on top of crap.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by bayrider:

When I lived in Canada, with Sympatico, I NEVER had a single problem with my DSL for 5 years. Not one dropped connection over that span. It was PERFECT. SBC on the other hand has been nothing but crap and more crap piled on top of crap.
I have had DSL since they sold it as "Pacific Bell DSL Service". I have never had a DSL problem (though I have had a couple of voice line problems which disrupted the DSL service). From where I sit AT&T (formerly SBC) is highly reliable.
tonydi
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA

tonydi to bayrider

Premium Member

to bayrider
bayrider, you've been complaining about this problem for going on 6 months and it was suggested that you post in AT&T Direct by not only another forum member but by one of the AT&T techs, yet I don't see that you've ever done that. I also don't see any attempt to post the info asked for at the top of the forum so the regular forum members can help.

Perhaps it is time for you to find a different broadband supplier with whom you'll be more happy.
REDWOLF70
join:2000-09-08
Colton, CA

REDWOLF70

Update:
Ok It seems to be my 10/100 old router,So I think it's time to Update my Modem and Router to full 100/1000 Connection Speeds, Here's the question I now have,I have been a long time happy camper with Pacbell/Sbc for many years, so long in fact my Package is a bit outdated, I have the AT&T YAHOO! HSI EXPERT + PKG paying $45 a month,I am told by Sbc I should go with there "ELITE" service, Now my Computers have 10/100/1000 NIC cards in them but my routers only 10/100 can you please tell me, Do I need to update my Modem to get the new 100/1000 speeds my NIC cards can handle? and if you please whats the best Router for a 8 computer Cat5e hard wired to each computer setup?

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l to REDWOLF70

MVM

to REDWOLF70
10/100 NICs are fast enough to handle any broadband speeds that you can purchase from AT&T (maybe any available in the US too). So modems and routers with those ports should handle any currently sold speeds.

Your 2Wire or SR81 might be failing from old age, but if they were factory new, they would be able to handle full Elite speeds.

A new 4100 or 4100b might provide a more robust DSL sync connection than your 2Wire if your loop is at the extreme qualification limit, but that really depends on your sync stats.