how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ticktack

@gci.net
reply to rockotman

Re: SNR on digital cable.

the OOB SNR is for the out of band carrier which has absolutely nothing to do with the SNR on the frequency that carries a particular HD channel. While 17 is slightly low it's not that bad for a OOB carrier. you will probably never see it above 22 because it is modulated using qpsk.

your HD channels are totally seperate. You need to tune to an HD channel and check the in band status, that will show the SNR for the current frequency you are tuned to.

How high that should be depends on the modulation of the channel. assuiming it is QAM 256 it should be at least 32 but preferably 33 or more.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
kudos:2

said by ticktack :

your HD channels are totally seperate. You need to tune to an HD channel and check the in band status, that will show the SNR for the current frequency you are tuned to.

How high that should be depends on the modulation of the channel. assuiming it is QAM 256 it should be at least 32 but preferably 33 or more.
I did check the in-band stati of both tuners, per the guide that I referenced, and both SNRs there were within the limits that the guide indicates are acceptable.
--
"I was the bad guy once again. I laughed at their sorrows. Ha ha ha ha ha."