how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LowRider

join:2006-06-23
Douglasville, GA

No new Promotions For Existing Customers

What gives. i can either down grade or up grade but can not stay the same and get a promotion? what gives. bill will go up about 30$$ after my promotion runs out. this sucks

DadCooks
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Kennewick, WA

Welcome to Charter

I have been a Charter (and legacy cable provider) customer for 30+ years (with never a late payment). The only deal I get is one free truck roll a year.

Sometimes I have been able to get a deal by going in to my local Charter office and carefully "sweet talking" the rep. About one time out of three she says, "look here, I can save you some money by...".

Complain all you want about Charter, at least in my area they are head and shoulders above the dish and phone companies in products, quality, service, and price--I admit that this is not the case in all areas.

Phatty

join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO
reply to LowRider

Just call in and select the options to cancel or downgrade services.(something along those lines) Then tell em' you are price shopping around and thinking of going Dish and that you wanted to find out what kind of pricing Charter can offer to keep you as a customer.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
reply to LowRider

While we all want lower prices, you are getting a PROMOTIONAL price discount. It isn't meant to be a permanent price reduction.
--
Google is your Friend

norton

join:2005-08-03
Howard City, MI
reply to LowRider

I have had good luck going into local office. Yours maybe able to help you too.

airshark
--... ...-- -.. . -. -.... .-.. -.--
Premium
join:2003-05-20
Hollister, CA

2 edits
reply to LowRider

I pay $79.99 for the (laughable) 10/1 HSI here in Hollister, CA.

I logged on to the Charter website to check out their current levels of service and what do I see? 10/1 = $59.99/month now.

I did not even care about the promotional $39.99/month for six months.

I called the Charter "help" line and was told that I was not eligible for the new lower price. The rep could not explain why to me.

I logged on to Charter's "Live Chat" feature and asked the same question again. Again, I was told that I was not eligible without an explanation. I was polite and said "I appreciate your time in assisting me today. I, for one, do not understand why it is that everyone else now gets my same level of service for less money than I pay. I was not asking for the promotional six-month discount, just the new rate. Can you please tell me the number that I should call to cancel my service?"

and then...MAGIC PIXIES MUST HAVE SPRINKLED "DISCOUNT" FAIRY DUST ON THE REP's COMPUTER!

Suddenly, the rep asks me to hold while she "checks" something in the computer for me. Low and behold, she "found" a way to give me the new lower rate and she was "throwing" in six months of service at $29.99 as well.

I know that nowadays it is almost the norm to have to threaten cancellation in order to get a discount. That does not make it right. I was not asking for $29.99/month. I was only asking for the new standard rate for my level of service.

Now if I could only actually get my 10/1 speeds...

Bester
Premium
join:2005-03-25
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

I haven't had much luck with the chat reps and got tired of looking at often outdated online offers. Calling or going to my local office usually works much better if I get a rep that's willing to 1) look for more offers and 2) knows how to implement the billing codes to not break offers that haven't expired yet.

Even the magic word "FIOS is coming" didn't seem to make a difference with some reps.

Anyway, FIOS is live in my neighborhood and my install date is this Thursday.

DanielJacksn

join:2007-03-10
Ortonville, MI
reply to LowRider

Call them, press 5 and ask about reducing services. I spoke to an excellent CSR (Dave) who was able to keep me on promo by increasing my internet speed to 10/1. The best part is the monthly bill went down approx $3.

krudl3r

join:2005-06-29
Eau Claire, WI
reply to LowRider

I've had Charter for almost 9 years now and it really does crack me up... every time my promotion runs out they raise my rates, so I call and end up getting more services for less money than my original deal. It is a joke.

LowRider

Douglasville, GA

yea it makes no sense how they run things. most of the time i can get back into a new promo, but not this time, it sucks. guess i may just go back to 5meg then upgrade when 16 is here.

markopoleo

join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

I think the "rule" is you can get back on a promo after a year, or if you threaten to cancel.

LowRider

Douglasville, GA
reply to LowRider

just learned something, can't downgrade with online support but of course you can upgrade. WTF!!! guess I'll be calling tomorrow

Bester
Premium
join:2005-03-25
Long Beach, CA

It's true over the phone and at the local office too. They don't want to give a promotion unless it's an upgrade from what you already have.

zed2608
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN
kudos:1
reply to LowRider

i just jumped from my promotion that was goona last 12 months (till october 2008)
222.02 dollars after tax to a new promotion 197.99 after tax that will last till next year

it was easy i did not even have to threaten to cancel i just talked vary nicely and kindly to them and now im saving 20 dollars a month

krudl3r

Eau Claire, WI
reply to markopoleo

Never have threatened to cancel... and always get a new promotion.

zed2608
Premium
Cleveland, TN

krudl3r
how many services do you have with charter i think the more you have the more likely there give you new promotion

matt314159
Premium
join:2006-01-18
Hesperia, CA
reply to LowRider

I think they usually want you off their promotion for 90 days before they'll let you back onto a new promotion.

That said, however, retentions will always give you something.

krudl3r

Eau Claire, WI

1 edit
reply to zed2608

I have had them for the last 8-9 years, and over time i have added internet and dvr, but not phone or any significant movie channels (i have had the "free" showtime for quite a while now). I just always seem to get a bump in speed, or HBO or something, and for cheaper than I had been paying...

I have auto-paid for a long time now... maybe they look at that?

matt314159
Premium
Hesperia, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to LowRider

I think they do look at things like your track record for paying them and stuff. I have called for my house, and for both sets of grandparents, and they aleways get a good promotion.

I tried calling my aunt, who is frequently late on her bill, and they basically told me there was nothing they could do. THey didn't say why, but she's the only one who wasn't successful at getting a good promotion.

zed2608
Premium
Cleveland, TN
reply to LowRider

well i know if you have phone the promotions are 12 months instead of 6 so that might be why

Modworks

join:2007-02-16
USA
reply to LowRider

Its really sad how they run the company.
I'm paying 69.99 + 10.00 cable fee, so 79.99 for just the 10/1 internet + taxes.

I check the site for new customers and its 24.99 for 10/1,
Call to try to get some kind of reduction, sorry we can't do anything.

Plus the charges for a converter box magically made its way back onto my bill.
I had to call to get that removed.

Now looking at dsl.

shellig

join:2005-06-30
Russellville, TN
reply to LowRider

Just called to see if I could reduce my bill...only promotions offered to me a >15 year customer was to add on phone services. I do not want to add on phone service and there are promotions for new customers without it. ARGH!

matt314159
Premium
Hesperia, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to LowRider

CALL RETENTIONS! Threaten to walk and Charter will bend like a willow branch.

I got my 10mb for $34.99 for 12 months, and lots of other people have as well. Just call in and choose the voice menu system to cancel or remove services. Tell them that their prices are out of hand and as such, you are going to switch to X service (in my case it was DSL) if they can't get the price down to a reasonable level. (don't worry, you are NOT under any obilgation to actually quit by calling and threatening...if they say no or whatever, just tell them thanks, do not make any changes at this time, i will cal back in to cancel once the DSL is set up and running.

But you more than likely won't have to do that. THey've been handing out the $34.99 rate like it's candy. Just have to make sure you account payments are not in arrears.

It'd definitely worth it for a 15 minute phone call.