Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Rocky: Dec/Jan bandwidth stats?

Hi Rocky,

It appears that none of us remembered to request the bandwidth stats... for the last two months

I think the last month that we had data for is November. What're things looking like for December and January?

Thanks.

JGROCKY
Premium Member
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON

JGROCKY

Premium Member

We've now automated the tracking so things might be a little bit different on the display from the past, but it gives a good idea of things....

January:
- Overall Avg: 43.78GB
- Unlimited Avg: 118.47GB

December:
- Overall Avg: 35.76GB
- Unlimited Avg: 89.04GB

November:
- Overall Avg: 35.53GB
- Unlimited Avg: 89.72GB

October:
- Overall Avg: 35.71GB
- Unlimited Avg: 86.95GB

September:
- Overall Avg: 28.83GB
- Unlimited Avg: 73.04GB

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Woah, quite a big jump in January. I would have expected Unlimited's average to go up as lower usage Unlimited users jump ship and switch to Premium, but the overall average also rose significantly.

neko
All Hail Canada
Premium Member
join:2006-08-11
Canada

neko

Premium Member

Yeah, that's quite a jump there on both premium & unlimited.
gord27
join:2005-05-01
Mississauga, ON

gord27 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
the jump for both makes perfect sense. users on unlimited using less than 200gb all switched to premium. they're still higher bw users though so the avg went up. unlimited avg went up as well due to the lower avg users switching to premium. i'm sure if you checked total bandwidth usage it would be similar to december.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I assume there's a lot of ex-sympatico customers who've switched recently, so the unlimited jump may be attributed to that.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to gord27

MVM

to gord27
He didn't give us "Premium average" and "Unlimited average", he gave us "Total average" and "Unlimited average".

The total did substantially increase from December to January, by 22%. Without knowing what percentage of users are Premium versus Unlimited, though, we're unable to calculate the Premium average.

My guess is that TekSavvy doesn't much care about the Premium average. They'd care about the Unlimited average because that's all fed via the one Cogent line, and they'd care about the Total average as that goes to their costs, but Premium average probably wouldn't have any real usefulness as far as calculating costs goes.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Remember also that regular customers (aka premium) went from 100 to 200 gig limits. This may have resulted in them downloading a few more Linux ISOs than before.
gord27
Mississauga, ON

gord27 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

He didn't give us "Premium average" and "Unlimited average", he gave us "Total average" and "Unlimited average".

The total did substantially increase from December to January, by 22%. Without knowing what percentage of users are Premium versus Unlimited, though, we're unable to calculate the Premium average.

My guess is that TekSavvy doesn't much care about the Premium average. They'd care about the Unlimited average because that's all fed via the one Cogent line, and they'd care about the Total average as that goes to their costs, but Premium average probably wouldn't have any real usefulness as far as calculating costs goes.
right i didn't catch that. makes more sense. it'd be cool to see the premium avg anyway.

TSI Steve2
TSI Steve
Premium Member
join:2007-01-12
Chatham, ON

TSI Steve2 to jfmezei

Premium Member

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

downloading a few more Linux ISOs than before.
EXACTLY

The Flash
Premium Member
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON

The Flash

Premium Member

said by TSI Steve2:

said by jfmezei:

EXACTLY
I don't think it's just a few more..

JGROCKY
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JGROCKY to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I'd have to compile things individually as there are a bunch of realm names, but I believe the past ones were also an overall average and unlimited.

TSI Steve2
TSI Steve
Premium Member
join:2007-01-12
Chatham, ON

TSI Steve2 to The Flash

Premium Member

to The Flash
said by The Flash :

]
said by TSI Steve2:
said by jfmezei:

EXACTLY
I don't think it's just a few more..
True..
I recently got a new computer and downloaded a bunch of ISOs' to test...
Slackware (my favourite distro), openSUSE, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, Gentoo, DesktopBSD, and PCLinuxOS

Steve
ancodia
join:2006-07-10
canada

ancodia

just for curiousity sake, can you give us the average for the top 5 or 10% of each profile?

JGROCKY
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JGROCKY

Premium Member

LOL...

The heavyweight for Unlimited in January was 1,548.75GB with the top 5% at 637.36GB

The heavyweight for the teksavvy.com realm in January was 704.02GB with the top 5% at 224.50GB

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by JGROCKY:

LOL...

The heavyweight for Unlimited in January was 1,548.75GB with the top 5% at 637.36GB

The heavyweight for the teksavvy.com realm in January was 704.02GB with the top 5% at 224.50GB
Whoa!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

1548.75GB is 4.8 megabits per second. That is, effectively, 640kbit up, 4.2mbit down. In other words, the user maxed out their upstream and downstream for an entire month. Quite a difficult thing to do.

I'm somewhat surprised that the highest Premium user was at 704.02GB. That's a minimum overage charge of $51.25, and a maximum overage charge of $126.25

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

1548.75GB is 4.8 megabits per second. That is, effectively, 640kbit up, 4.2mbit down. In other words, the user maxed out their upstream and downstream for an entire month. Quite a difficult thing to do.
Could have been on 6meg, or higher ADSL2+ sync mistakenly set by bell.

The Flash
Premium Member
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON

The Flash to TSI Steve2

Premium Member

to TSI Steve2
said by TSI Steve2:

True..
I recently got a new computer and downloaded a bunch of ISOs' to test...
Slackware (my favourite distro), openSUSE, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, Gentoo, DesktopBSD, and PCLinuxOS

Steve
Don't think we're on the same page here, but angelo4 See Profile can fill you in on his "special" linux distros.

Steve Jobs
American living in Canada
Premium Member
join:2002-06-23
canada

Steve Jobs

Premium Member

I use my internet connection to download pirated movies, T.V shows, applications, etc.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to HiVolt

MVM

to HiVolt
Being on 6mbit DSL doesn't make it much easier. It just means that you're using up either all of your downstream, all of your upstream and almost all of your downstream, or a mix of the two.
sMURF
join:2007-02-27
Toronto, ON

sMURF to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
said by JGROCKY:

Wow, I feel better now knowing I'm not in the top 5%. Most bandwidth I've used in a month is just under 400GB I believe, and I'm only at 79GB so far this month.

DSL_Ricer
@teksavvy.com

DSL_Ricer to JGROCKY

Anon

to JGROCKY
said by JGROCKY:

with the top 5% at 637.36GB
Just to check, do you mean to say the average of the top 5% is that or that the 95th percentile is that? (and, in either case, what's the other value?)
said by Guspaz:

Being on 6mbit DSL doesn't make it much easier. It just means that you're using up either all of your downstream, all of your upstream and almost all of your downstream, or a mix of the two.
It could also be those mlppp users.
gord27
Mississauga, ON

gord27 to sMURF

to sMURF
said by sMURF:

said by JGROCKY:

Wow, I feel better now knowing I'm not in the top 5%. Most bandwidth I've used in a month is just under 400GB I believe, and I'm only at 79GB so far this month.
tell me about it. most i've ever done on bell was 350. i haven't passed 200 yet with tek. partly due to the writers strike for sure.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to DSL_Ricer

MVM

to DSL_Ricer
It still means you need to download a heck of a lot of content in one month. I suppose if you're really into downloading raw BluRay and HD-DVD movies (20GB+ a pop), you could do it. I could see somebody downloading 50 movies like that and using that kind of bandwidth. But it'd still be difficult, downloading more than one such movie per day. You'd have to watch about two movies per day.

DR_JAY
join:2002-04-23
Verdun, QC

DR_JAY to Guspaz

to Guspaz
I have reached my 110GB
Black Moon
join:2005-02-01
Scarborough, ON

Black Moon to sMURF

to sMURF
said by sMURF:

Heh, my monthly usage is typically 225 +- 25, so I am closer to the median for unlimited then; and I consider myself a heavy user.
Ikarasu
join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu

When I was living in a hotel in Cali... on a 10 Mb/s connection, I downloaded 7-800 GB a month :\

Some people collect xbox/Wii games... or Ps2... Say your a heavy gamer and want them all, you'd be doing around a TB + a month just on games... (Course thats illegal... :P)

My average is 300-400 GB a month with TV shows/ect. I'd do a lot more, but I try to keep it low since I have no unlimited option :\

nanook
MVM
join:2007-12-02

nanook

MVM

said by Ikarasu:

My average is 300-400 GB a month with TV shows/ect.
OK, I am curious. The typical 42min TV show is about 350MB. So an hour would be about 500MB. Let us assume that you seed as much as you leech. That is about 1GB of bandwidth for every hour of programming.

How do you watch 300 to 400 hours per month (or over 100 hours per week)?
ftp1020
join:2007-01-30
Canada

ftp1020

said by nanook:

How do you watch 300 to 400 hours per month (or over 100 hours per week)?
You're forgetting teh pr0n...