spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bierholen4
join:2008-02-20

bierholen4

Splitter required for DRY DSL?

Hi,

I've got TekSavvy DRY DSL and I don't have any phone service - neither a land line from Bell nor any VOIP. Do I still need to connect my DSL modem to the phone jack via a DSL/phone splitter?

From my understanding I wouldn't need a splitter since only the DSL part of the copper line should be activated. I'm still wondering...

Thanks!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

You don't need a splitter, or any filters on dry DSL.

TSI
System Admin
Premium Member
join:2007-02-17
Merlin, ON

TSI to bierholen4

Premium Member

to bierholen4
Hivolt hit the nail on the head with this one =)

dchdrake
Premium Member
join:2005-04-29
Windsor, ON

dchdrake

Premium Member

Does it hurt to use a splitter & filter with dry DSL?

TSI
System Admin
Premium Member
join:2007-02-17
Merlin, ON

TSI

Premium Member

The thing is, if you have dry dsl with no phones then you do not need a filter. The whole point of a filter is to remove the DSL Signal which would be very counter-productive in this case

Regards,

Rick

nanook
MVM
join:2007-12-02

nanook to dchdrake

MVM

to dchdrake
said by dchdrake:

Not if you wire them in parallel -- not in series -- with the DSL modem
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to dchdrake

to dchdrake
said by dchdrake:

ADSL splitters are there to remove phone signal from the ADSL signal path and remove ADSL signal from the phone signal path.

ADSL filters remove the ADSL "noise" from the phone signal. Using a phone without an ADSL filter on the line is nearly impossible and will cause frequent loss of sync - I tried it for a short while until I bought a $10 five-pack of generic ADSL filters.

If you have DRY DSL, you are only using the ADSL signal and therefore need neither splitter nor filters. If your home phone wiring is crappy, you may benefit considerably from simply disconnecting your home wriring and running a fresh straight plain four-conductor solid conductor phone cable (many go overkill with cat. 5/5e/6) from your modem to your demark instead.