spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Allen R
@comcast.net

Allen R

Anon

Belkin Router and Comcast Modem

I have connected a Belkin Router to my Comcast Modem in order to run my lap top on the high speed connection. After installing according to the disc that comes with the router, the comcast connection is gone from both the lap top and the desk top. After two hours on the phone with comcast's $5.00 an hour make believe tech support people, the problem still isn't solved. If I disconnect the router, the signal returns to my desk top. Why won't this router connection work? Anyone?
jhaygood86
join:2005-03-01
Hiram, GA

jhaygood86

Try rebooting the modem.
krazymon2
join:2008-01-13
Coraopolis, PA

krazymon2 to Allen R

to Allen R
Have you tried calling Belkin support since its not working only when you install their hardware. Comcast portion is working ie, the service to the house. Whats not working right is either the way you setup the router or how you are trying to connect.

Allen R
@comcast.net

Allen R to jhaygood86

Anon

to jhaygood86
I've rebooted so many times and reconnected and unplugged that my knees are sore!
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

4 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

i suggest you call belkin and ask how to clone the mac address to the router. im not sure why you would call comcast and expect them to diagnose a router issue. ide unplug everything and chill for tonight. tomorrow when you get up plugthe modem power cord in and wait for the lights to go solid. after that plug the router in. i bet everything works as should. if not do what i said earlier and just clone the computer nic mac address into the router. that will work also. you have power cycling and then you have power cycling in the proper order. the proper order would be to unplug both modem and router power cords . after a couple of minutes plug the modem in and wait for it to sinc. after it gets a modem lock. then plug your router in and you should be good. belkin isnt exactly top of the line so if that doesnt work ide lean towards a doa router.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Allen R

MVM

to Allen R
Comcast will only support a network if you order their home networking package, and accept a technician install of their router (unless they allow self-install for home networking). Add your own router, and you will have to rely on your router manufacturer, and self-help forums, such as this.

A friend of mine switched from at&t Yahoo! HSI to Comcast Triple Play. Comcast sent a tech to set up the CDV modem (an Arris device). The tech disconnect his D-Link router and connected one computer to the modem.

He asked me to reconnect his LAN. What I did was to disconnect the modem from the computer, and press the modem reset button (keep in mind, this is an Arris modem; yours might be different). I reconnected his computer to the router, and then reconfigured the router (his DSL modem was a bridge, so the router had some PPPoE stuff on it; I had to change that to DHCP for Comcast).

Once I knew that his LAN was back in business, I powered down his router, and connected the Arris modem to the WAN port. Powered up the modem, and waited for the LEDs to settle in. Powered up the router, and waited for the LEDs to settle in. Then checked for Internet surfing.

In short: Reset modem. Power down modem. Connect router to computer. Configure router. Power down router. Connect router to modem. Power up modem. Power up router. That should do it.