uniqs
share rss forum feed

THX 1138
neo-luddite
Premium
join:2007-01-24
San Jose, CA

Modem Access Code not accepted

I have a SpeedStream 4100 (a) that I bought off eBay. The seller said it was new, and I think it is. I was able to access the Siemens configuration page (»192.168.0.1) after using the supplied AT&T/Yahoo Setup CD where I entered my User Name and Password. I've had SpeedStream 4100s before; it's the only DSL modem I've used. I wanted one for backup, because earlier 4100s died on me. I was playing with the new one to see if it worked.

After directly connecting the modem to my Mac I started the modem back up and it seemed fine. My User Name and Password were sent to the modem, as expected. When I tried to access the Advanced features of the Configuration Page I was prompted for the Modem Access Code.

I input the Modem Access Code that was on the yellow sticker on the bottom of the modem, but it wasn't accepted. I've tried several times to get the modem to accept its own code, but it won't. I don't think the previous owner changed it, because I was able to view some stats without the code, and the first use of the modem is today.

I reset the modem and reinstalled the AT&T/Yahoo software to see if it was a temporary glitch. It wasn't.

Any ideas on what's wrong?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

Sounds like you possibly didn't reset the unit fully as you have to hold reset longer than 4 seconds and shorter than 10 seconds or the reset command is ignored with no changes taking place. You really need to check the AT&T Forum for your Area since no retail or other ISP use an access code except for SBC/AT&T as that is something exclusive only to their units.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

THX 1138
neo-luddite
Premium
San Jose, CA

Thanks for the tip. I'll check the SBC/AT&T forum.

THX 1138
neo-luddite
Premium
San Jose, CA

For the sake of future searches, I thought I'd post the solution to this problem.

Thanks to two folks over in the "All Things Macintosh" forum, the solution became evident: The Mac browser Safari (v.3.0.4 in this case) was interfering with the Modem Access Code. Safari used to work with the Modem Access Code prior to Mac System Software "Leopard" which installed a new version of Safari.

The solution is to use another browser. I used FireFox v.1.5.0.9, and everything worked as it should.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

Are there any details as to what it was doing? I can't see how a browser would do that, but I'm no expert.

THX 1138
neo-luddite
Premium
San Jose, CA

No, there are no details on why Safari would act like that. It doesn't make sense to me either, but checking and rechecking seems to confirm that it really is the Safari app in Leopard System Software on the Mac. Maybe the next revision to Safari will fix the bug.