uniqs

pog4
Premium Member
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI

pog4

Premium Member

[Tech] Sigma DP1 review...

I'm not really in the market for this camera... still interested in how it performs, though. Saw this link to a review... »blog.paran.com/foveon/24785998 You don't need to read Korean to understand it, either. Just need patience to download all the images.

Mauricio9
Premium Member
join:2001-12-04
Vancouver, BC

Mauricio9

Premium Member

Re: [Cam] Sigma DP1 review...

Some reactions:

- That is one fugly looking external flash unit. Doesn't look that powerful either, and it is not bounceable. Considering that the guide number of the built-in flash is laughable, this may be one serious shortcoming of the DP1.

- The sensor size is slgihtly smaller than APS-C. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation. Whatever little is lost to the smaller size is probably more than made-up by the engineering advantages of doing away with the mirror assembly.

- Lame attempt at trashing the Canon 5D in the ISO 100 comparison. They shot it at f/14 so the diffraction effects would make the image look soft.

And that is as far as I can go. The page is so badly programmed that in Safari only the first two inches show up, and in firefox it only loads until the first ISO 200 test shot - then it crashes the whole thing. I'd like to see more, but I'm not going to download a new browser for it.

Pretorious
Theres more behind the pic than the wall
MVM
join:2003-01-08

Pretorious to pog4

MVM

to pog4
I would be very cautious about clicking that link.

ThirdShifter
Premium Member
join:2002-03-16
Wethersfield, CT

1 edit

ThirdShifter to pog4

Premium Member

to pog4
The page works absolutely fine with my IE.

The Camera looks awesome and i would not hesitate to buy it just base on its design. And the Flash.. its absolutely ridiculously cool. Sort of like the soundtrack for the movie, The will be blood. Makes no sense but it works.

To me, this is Mission Impposible: Accomplished.

Mauricio9
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

Mauricio9

Premium Member

While I can appreciate that tastes about design differ, and I do not have a problem with the design of the camera itself, I do have a threshold that any camera I buy must be able to take good-quality pictures, and any flash I buy must be able to light the scene appropriately. This latter point includes, for external flashes, being bounceable.

The external flash seems to be what the built-in one should have been. If that is the case, they could have skipped the built-in one entirely, lower the price on the body, and sell the external at a margin. Better business decision, and no need to stick consumers with a weenie built-in flash with an effective range of 3 feet at ISO 100.

All that said, I'll probably buy a DP1 as long as the price is reasonable. That will mean that the street price must be well below the MSRP of $1000.
Mauricio9

Mauricio9 to pog4

Premium Member

to pog4
More official sample images.
»www.sigma-dp1.com/jp/sam ··· e-photo/
I am glad that Sigma did not feel the need to follow Canon, Nikon, and Pentax in posting absolutely ghastly and crappy images as their official samples. These all look great. The on image at ISO 800 is very acceptable - I'm sure there will be a firmware expansion to allow for ISO 1600, although at f/4 and 28mm equivalent you can still handhold the camera in very low light with ISO 800.

pog4
Premium Member
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI

pog4

Premium Member

Those official samples are certainly nice to look at.

However, looking at DP1-008 for eg... the clouds in the upper left have some weird purple posterization (?). Not sure what it is... doesn't look very natural, though.
»www.sigma-dp1.com/sample ··· -008.jpg

Rogue90
Premium Member
join:2008-01-23
West Milford, NJ

Rogue90

Premium Member

Possibly caused by lack of DR.

Mauricio9
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

Mauricio9 to pog4

Premium Member

to pog4
I noticed that too. The purple is very likely bad auto-white balance. The posterization is more worrisome - perhaps some dynamic range expansion gone awry?