Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

1 edit

Caddyroger

Premium Member

which is the best battery to buy

Poll
Which brand of battery do you think is the best?

Interstate

Die Hard

Delco

Napa

Other (please name)

Votes:35

This for a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am gt1 3.4 V6

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly

Premium Member

Optima Deep Cycle yellow top... hands down.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
Best to buy for what application?

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by PrntRhd:

Best to buy for what application?
2003 Grand Am v6 in Washington state.
Caddyroger

Caddyroger to Sly

Premium Member

to Sly
said by Sly:

Optima Deep Cycle yellow top... hands down.
The smallest yellow top is 7.8 in. I measured mine and the clearance. The battery maybe a 1/4 to high. If they didn't have the top post it would have ok.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger

I think you could have come up with more meaningful information if you had skipped the poll business...

What you need is a Group 75 battery, which is a side-terminal battery and will properly fit your car. I personally recommend Interstate batteries, and also the main-line AC Delco products. Pass on the cheaper "ACD" series of Delco batteries, if possible.

In any case, buy the highest Cold-Crank rating battery that you can for that group size.

-Matt

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

2 recommendations

Doctor Olds to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
Half the batteries you list are made by the same company......

»www.batteryfaq.org/

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

I think you could have come up with more meaningful information if you had skipped the poll business...

What you need is a Group 75 battery, which is a side-terminal battery and will properly fit your car. I personally recommend Interstate batteries, and also the main-line AC Delco products. Pass on the cheaper "ACD" series of Delco batteries, if possible.

In any case, buy the highest Cold-Crank rating battery that you can for that group size.

-Matt
I guess you was right about the poll should just what brand you prefer. So far the interstate batteries have the most cca amps.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

I have used Interstate in my car and have had zero issues with them - they have never died early.

sdgthy
@optonline.net

sdgthy to Caddyroger

Anon

to Caddyroger
A Douglas has been the best I've seen to date.

Anonuser
join:2003-01-03
Milwaukee, WI

Anonuser to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
I recommend Wal-Marts Everstart Batteries, yellow case battery.

I've been using mine in my truck, where I also run many electronics off of, as well as the occasional power tool. I'm also using a Wal-Mart yellow deep cycle batteries in a all electric car, and they are doing great, and they were not designed for that application.

Have not had to do a replacement yet, but with the yellow case, the warranty is 6 years free replacement, and 9 years pro-rated. Now, that warranty is good at EVERY WALMART IN THE USA. Wal-Mart is everywhere, so if you ever have a problem, you can just take it to any wal-mart, and they will replace it. Wal-mart will also test the battery free of charge, as well as CHARGE IT FOR YOU FREE IF IT IS DEAD!

Just somthing to keep in mind. I just wish they made Gel Cells, as they would be a fitting replacement for my electric cars.

Wasnt Me
Usp?
Premium Member
join:2002-04-24
San Jose, CA

Wasnt Me to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
I've used Delco and Interstate in the past and recommend those to my customers. Haven't had one fail prematurely in my cars yet...

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly to Anonuser

Premium Member

to Anonuser
said by Anonuser:

Just somthing to keep in mind. I just wish they made Gel Cells, as they would be a fitting replacement for my electric cars.
The Optima battery is a gel cell. I've had the same one for over 10 years. They hold a higher base charge than lead acid batteries and have a tremendous amp output for their size.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Anonuser

MVM

to Anonuser
quote:
I just wish they made Gel Cells,
Understand - WalMart does not manufacture any of those batteries - other companies do and WalMart sells them.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
Unless you routinely let your battery run down the Optima YellowTop would not be recommended. Get an Optima RedTop. Don't worry, they clear plenty in a Grand Am, I have one in my '02 (get the right size, which is 75/25).

Got mine at Costco, cheapest I could find.

wolfox
Gentle Wolfox
join:2002-11-27
Dunnellon, FL

wolfox to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
Interstate Enertron's - AKA, Wallyworld yellow Everstart are a good choice. If money is no object, optima Red Top with side posts for GM work well for me and my Blazer - it was transplanted after seeing three years of service in my Subaru. It's currently 5 years old and still hotter than a lightning bolt in your back pocket.

Gemstone
Premium Member
join:2000-12-20
Long Island

Gemstone to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
Optima Red Top... I've had one in my Impala for 5 years now and it's still going strong...
sailor
Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

sailor to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
This is one of those type questions where you will get users in all camps..Kinda like asking which is better..Chevy or Ford

All brands have new batteries that someone will have the unfortunate experience in buying and finding out its a dud..

My 2002 Firebird has the original battery and I will be replacing it shortly with the A/C Delco 75 series as I want to keep the car as close to stock as possible due to my being asked to come to shows...The A/C Delco I will get from my local Chevy dealer and there is no core charge like there is at most auto part stores..

But for my 93 Chevy Van as well as for my 86 Lincoln Town Car, I picked up 2 Exide brand batteries at a local auto store that had them on sale and they are just fine..

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by sailor:

This is one of those type questions where you will get users in all camps..Kinda like asking which is better..Chevy or Ford
Exactly .... most of those batteries are made by the same company, so it really shouldn't matter.

I typically buy Die Hard Gold batteries for my cars. Force of habit, I guess.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned)

said by dennismurphy:

Exactly .... most of those batteries are made by the same company, so it really shouldn't matter.
So what you're saying is that there's no difference between a Corvette and an Aveo? After all, they're both made by Chevy, right?

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by IamGimli:

So what you're saying is that there's no difference between a Corvette and an Aveo? After all, they're both made by Chevy, right?
No, what I'm saying is that there's no difference between a Toyota Matrix and a Pontiac Vibe.... same vehicle, different name. A few external differences, but the 'guts' are the same ...

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

said by dennismurphy:

said by IamGimli:

A few external differences, but the 'guts' are the same ...
The guts of different batteries are not all the same.

If I make an apple pie for my dad's birthday, it will be one way. If I make it for my mom's birthday, it will be different.

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag to dennismurphy

to dennismurphy
said by dennismurphy:

Nothing could be further from the truth than that statement. Simply being "made" by the same manufacturer in no way ensures that the products are identical, which IamGimli hit right on the head.

There are *vast* differences in plate type, material, separators, frames, internal connection methods, terminal anchoring and sealing, etc. etc. Each "end seller" (the company who's name goes on the label) gets to make those choices, and they all affect the way the final product performs.

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by mattmag:

said by dennismurphy:

Nothing could be further from the truth than that statement. Simply being "made" by the same manufacturer in no way ensures that the products are identical, which IamGimli hit right on the head.

There are *vast* differences in plate type, material, separators, frames, internal connection methods, terminal anchoring and sealing, etc. etc. Each "end seller" (the company who's name goes on the label) gets to make those choices, and they all affect the way the final product performs.
I don't know the first thing about the battery industry, and I'll certainly defer to your expertise, but all I can remember is touring a pretzel factory in the Pennsylvania Dutch Country as a kid ...

Seeing pretzels come off the line and going into bags - all with different, well-known product names - I don't remember which factory, but it was something like this... Kinda sank home the idea that 'store brands' really aren't any different than the more expensive varieties!

Now, obviously a pretzel and a battery are a bit different!

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag

said by dennismurphy:

Now, obviously a pretzel and a battery are a bit different!
Now ya' got it!!

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to Doctor Olds

Premium Member

to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

Half the batteries you list are made by the same company......

»www.batteryfaq.org/
Yes! At the time I had a VW and my buddy a MINI. I got my battery "BOSCH" from Pep Boys and he got one "Everstart" from WalMart. They were the same exact thing, except for the brand and the fact that the BOSCH comes with free roadside jump... not worth the extra price IMO.

VW and BMW (and thus MINI) OEM batteries also appear to be made by the same people.