how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

axelrose
Shelters saves Babies USA

join:2005-05-25
Chattanooga, TN

[DNS] Comcast DNS server list, where is it?

Does anyone know of a Up-to-date listing of Comcast's DNS servers?

I've seen some old lists on the internet that are so old even my default DNS name isn't listed.
--
"If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by." - Sun Tsu (544 – 496 BC)

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Why do you need a list?
If you're going to use CC's own DNS, just allow it to be set automatically, the best (closest, fastest) DNS server for your area will be assigned.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
reply to axelrose
In my D-Link you just leave or insert 0.0.0.0 in both fields and it will pull the default Comcast DNS addresses.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

axelrose

Chattanooga, TN
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

Why do you need a list?
If you're going to use CC's own DNS, just allow it to be set automatically, the best (closest, fastest) DNS server for your area will be assigned.
I did AUTO about 1 year ago and it drops about EleventyBillion times per day.
So I had to manually enter the closest server which is 250 miles away.

That's why I'd like a list, so I could see if I am truly using comcast's nearest server.

I have not done it in so long, please remind me how to AUTO detect the DNS from Comcast?

thanks
--
"If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by." - Sun Tsu (544 – 496 BC)

axelrose

Chattanooga, TN

1 edit
reply to dadkins
said by dadkins:

In my D-Link you just leave or insert 0.0.0.0 in both fields and it will pull the default Comcast DNS addresses.
Yes but inside the OS you can also set the DNS names inside TCP/IP settings in the control panel under network settings.

One seems to take precedent over the other, dont know which.

The SERVER I am using from cocast are as follows
PREFERRED DNS SERVER 68.87.68.162
ALTERNATE DNS 68.87.74.162

Where are those located?

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
Mine are blank in the TCP/IP settings...
Wanna try mine as reported by my router?

DNS 68.87.76.178 68.87.78.130
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

axelrose

Chattanooga, TN
said by dadkins:

Thanks but I'm in Tennessee, aren't I suppose to use the nearest server?
--

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
said by axelrose:

said by dadkins:

FWIW I am using the same ones as you and I'm in Arkansas. I think Comcast uses regional DNS servers in some locations and the national ones in others. I don't know that I have ever seen an up-to-date list of Comcast DNS servers.

If Comcast doesn't seem to work then use the Open DNS servers but they are just as far or further away too.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to axelrose
In the MA area (for posterity, obviously not that close to you), I have:

68.87.71.226 (cns.chelmsfdrdc2.ma.boston.comcast.net)
68.87.73.242 (cns.manassaspr.va.dc02.comcast.net)

I've never seen the primary nameserver go down during any hour I've been at my desk, and name resolution is on the order of ~7.5 ms.
--
Interested in open source engine management for your Subaru?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
reply to axelrose
68.87.68.162 is cns.s3woodstock.ga.atlanta.comcast.net
68.87.74.162 is cns.bonitasprngs.fl.naples.comcast.net

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to axelrose
In the O/S it should be set to "Obtain DNS server address automatically"
in your router config there maybe a similar check box for
"Obtain DNS server address automatically"
or a box that should be left blank or have 0.0.0.0 in it. (you'll need to find specific instruction for your make / model)
it may also require that you "powercycle" the router and computer (and maybe the modem) for the new settings to take effect.
this SHOULD give you the comcast selected DNS for your area, which is a good place to start.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to axelrose
said by axelrose:

While Dadkins setting probably aren't a good choice for you, best/fastest isn't always closest physically, line of sight.
you want closest/most responsive via the network, which could be almost anywhere .
the Atlana address wouldn't suprise me, but southern Florida might not be optimal.

Babar
Premium
join:2001-05-09
Washington
reply to axelrose
I leave the first one blank and let Comcast pick the closest, which usually works well. But I manually set the second and third choice to the Level3 servers 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 - they will auto-route to the best Level3 servers for your area. It's a nice backup for if/when the Comcast servers crap out (which they've been known to do.)
--
"Geez, I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake."

axelrose

Chattanooga, TN
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

68.87.68.162 is cns.s3woodstock.ga.atlanta.comcast.net
68.87.74.162 is cns.bonitasprngs.fl.naples.comcast.net
Am I to assume the 2nd DNS server is a backup?

When if ever is that back up used?
--

axelrose

Chattanooga, TN
reply to Babar
said by Babar:

I leave the first one blank and let Comcast pick the closest, which usually works well. But I manually set the second and third choice to the Level3 servers 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 - they will auto-route to the best Level3 servers for your area. It's a nice backup for if/when the Comcast servers crap out (which they've been known to do.)
3rd? Where in XP can you enter a 3rd DNS server? Not even my router has a 3rd entry.
--

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
said by axelrose:

said by Babar:

3rd? Where in XP can you enter a 3rd DNS server? Not even my router has a 3rd entry.
Click the advanced button and add as many as you want under the DNS tab.
--
Interested in open source engine management for your Subaru?

axelrose

Chattanooga, TN
said by Cabal:

said by axelrose:

said by Babar:

Click the advanced button and add as many as you want under the DNS tab.
Ok thanks, but do you ever notice the 3rd and 4th servers ever being used?

In other words, does the comcast dns's go downn for you often enough to justify those extra entries?
--

fancydancer
Perception is reality
Premium
join:2002-08-28
Springfield, IL
said by axelrose:

Ok thanks, but do you ever notice the 3rd and 4th servers ever being used?

In other words, does the comcast dns's go downn for you often enough to justify those extra entries?
Your computer will only use the 2nd, 3rd, and subsequent servers if the 1st one doesn't respond.
--
Thank you for keeping this a work-free environment!

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
reply to axelrose
If you have more than one network card in your computer things get more complicated than just going down the list. Assuming you have two cards both connected, the OS will try DNS 1 of card 1 first, then DNS 1 of card 2, then DNS 2 of card 1 and so on. Most people have both cards set the same (either manually to the same DNS or via DHCP to the same DNS) so since both cards have the same primary DNS it can take a little while before it gets to a working server since it will try the same server twice.