spc
Search similar:

uniqs

shocka
@verizon.net

shocka

Anon

static electricity and FIOS

Is it possible that there is more static electricity in my house (laptop computer and tv) after installing FIOS? It seems that I'm getting shocked CONSTANTLY since we had this installed.

Also, any advice on how to manage the static electricity so that my computer isn't affected??

LL

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 edit

CylonRed

MVM

quote:
Cause of static electricity

Static electricity is usually caused when certain materials are rubbed against each other, like wool on plastic or the soles of your shoes on the carpet. The process causes electrons to be pulled from the surface of one material and relocated on the surface of the other material.
»www.school-for-champions ··· atic.htm

Not really - where are you getting shocked? I don't believe there is enough of a charge carried by FIOS to cause a problem is not grounded properly.

No idea where you live but it has gotten cold and the air has gotten a lot drier than that would be the cause. Adding a humidifier and not rubbing the shoes/feet on the carpet would be the solutions.

Before you do any work on the PC - touch a piece of metal on the case but if you do the above (provided the air has gotten very dry) that should fix the problem.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

Before you do any work on the PC - touch a piece of metal on the case but if you do the above (provided the air has gotten very dry) that should fix the problem.
There are also sprays that you can get to treat your carpet to eliminate static. Check with any carpet clearing store...

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan

MVM

said by John Galt6:
said by CylonRed:

There are also sprays that you can get to treat your carpet to eliminate static. Check with any carpet clearing store...
Personally, 50,000 volts first thing in the morning seems to help wake me up.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

No need for coffee then...

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan

MVM

said by CylonRed:

No need for coffee then...
I only need one cup instead of two.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
MVM,
join:2001-01-27
22152-1106

grobinette

MVM,

That kind of voltage would warm your coffee for you too.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

2 recommendations

Greg_Z to shocka

Premium Member

to shocka
I would call and have it taken out. Did you not get warned about the light can cause Tumors & growths out of your head? Also, while you are at it, you may want to stop using Dihydrogen Monoxide.

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

fireflier to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
50,000 volts wakes me up just enough to MAKE my coffee in the mornings. . .
old_wiz_60
join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA

old_wiz_60 to shocka

to shocka
I have had fios for over a year and no difference in static. Do you have everything grounded properly?

PolarBear03
The bear formerly known as aaron8301
Premium Member
join:2005-01-03

PolarBear03 to Greg_Z

Premium Member

to Greg_Z
said by Greg_Z:

Also, while you are at it, you may want to stop using Dihydrogen Monoxide.
No kidding, considering that is the major component in soil erosion, acid rain, and brake fade. I can't believe the stuff is still legal!

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale to Greg_Z

Premium Member

to Greg_Z
said by Greg_Z:

I would call and have it taken out. Did you not get warned about the light can cause Tumors & growths out of your head? Also, while you are at it, you may want to stop using Dihydrogen Monoxide.
water?

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z

Premium Member

No, that Damn Crystalized White Crap that got all over my car today, and caused me to almost fall on my arse.

sekim
MVM
join:1999-08-17
Saint Petersburg, FL

sekim to shocka

MVM

to shocka
Crystalized white static electricity ?

Technogeez
Agape in amazement.
Premium Member
join:2007-01-20

Technogeez to shocka

Premium Member

to shocka
said by shocka :

Is it possible that there is more static electricity in my house (laptop computer and tv) after installing FIOS?
Unplug the computer and step away from the keyboard.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3 to shocka

MVM

to shocka
Its winter. The air gets dry, and static charges can't disipate because of the lack of moisture. (That is until you touch something.) Its unrelated to FIOS.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

1 recommendation

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by whizkid3:

Its winter. The air gets dry, and static charges can't disipate because of the lack of moisture. (That is until you touch something.) Its unrelated to FIOS.
Thread-killer...

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium Member
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX

alg to whizkid3

Premium Member

to whizkid3
said by whizkid3:

It's really annoying. Every time I get up out of my computer chair my leg brushes the metal leg and I get a zap. But I'll take dry air with a zap over humid air any day.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to sekim

MVM

to sekim
said by sekim:

Crystallized white static electricity ?
No. Crystallized Di-hydrogen Monoxide. It keeps the police busy, causes people to drive like maniacs and go out of control. Every hockey player I know is addicted to Crystallized Di-hydrogen Monoxide.

whizkid3
MVM
Queens, NY

whizkid3 to alg

MVM

to alg
said by alg:

I'll take dry air with a zap over humid air any day.
I guess being in Austin - you have no other choice.

When its 25 degrees here in NY, I'd rather have it humid, than have bone-chilling dry air. (In the summer, its another story.)

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

MysticGogeta to javaMan

Premium Member

to javaMan
Cold coffee in left hand jolt going up right warms it up just right

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium Member
Houston, TX

1 edit

alg to whizkid3

Premium Member

to whizkid3
said by whizkid3:
said by alg:

When its 25 degrees here in NY, I'd rather have it humid, than have bone-chilling dry air. (In the summer, its another story.)
Summer? Ugh. It was 92F yesterday. Fortunately it was a dry heat. But once the real summer comes I don't think we'll be so lucky.

whizkid3
MVM
Queens, NY

whizkid3

MVM

Yeah; 120 degrees and dry.

Its dry because its a freakin' desert!

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to alg

Premium Member

to alg
said by alg:

It's really annoying. Every time I get up out of my computer chair my leg brushes the metal leg and I get a zap.
My cat bit my hand very severely recently when I petted it because of the static.

I got one of those scent-free dryer cloths and rubbed it all over the cat (where it couldn't lick). It was happy again...pets continued.

Meow...

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium Member
Houston, TX

alg

Premium Member

said by John Galt6:
said by alg:

It's really annoying. Every time I get up out of my computer chair my leg brushes the metal leg and I get a zap.
My cat bit my hand very severely recently when I petted it because of the static.
lol, my cat did the same thing to me when I shocked her on her nose.

ravencajun
Premium Member
join:2004-08-12
Houston, TX

ravencajun to shocka

Premium Member

to shocka
I have had Fios since 2005 and never had a problem at all with any static electricity increases.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis to whizkid3

Premium Member

to whizkid3
said by whizkid3:

Yeah; 120 degrees and dry.

Its dry because its a freakin' desert!
Austin? A desert?

duh
@qwest.net

duh to shocka

Anon

to shocka
said by shocka :

Is it possible that there is more static electricity in my house (laptop computer and tv) after installing FIOS? It seems that I'm getting shocked CONSTANTLY since we had this installed.

LL
Yes. Fiber optic cable is actually made of a plastic base material, unlike regular cable, which is metal and is well grounded. Because of the higher bandwidth, there's more packets rubbing against the plastic, and causing greater amounts of static electricity. Since plastic is an insulator, the charge builds up easily and gets stored on your computers, so you're more likely to get shocked when you touch it. Generally, the greater the bandwidth, the more risk of shock. Most homeowners go for the 15/2 tier, which is still reasonably safe. Higher bandwidth subscribers should properly ground their network equipment. Regardless, it's probably a good idea to turn off and disconnect the equipment, or otherwise the charge may build up overnight to dangerous levels and arc across greater distances, thereby giving a truly nasty shock to the first person to walk anywhere near the study the next day.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to John Galt6

Premium Member

to John Galt6
Take one third downy and mix with 2 thirds water, I use distilled.Spray the carpet around your computer. It works great.

wolfox
Gentle Wolfox
join:2002-11-27
Dunnellon, FL

wolfox to duh

to duh
Having a professional installer to place a token ring adapter as a grounding link will help. The ring will draw the static charge to Earth thus preventing the zaps and pops that come with the drier winter weather.
said by duh :
said by shocka :

LL
Yes. Fiber optic cable is actually made of a plastic base material, unlike regular cable, which is metal and is well grounded. Because of the higher bandwidth, there's more packets rubbing against the plastic, and causing greater amounts of static electricity. Since plastic is an insulator, the charge builds up easily and gets stored on your computers, so you're more likely to get shocked when you touch it. Generally, the greater the bandwidth, the more risk of shock. Most homeowners go for the 15/2 tier, which is still reasonably safe. Higher bandwidth subscribers should properly ground their network equipment. Regardless, it's probably a good idea to turn off and disconnect the equipment, or otherwise the charge may build up overnight to dangerous levels and arc across greater distances, thereby giving a truly nasty shock to the first person to walk anywhere near the study the next day.