how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

EPS4

join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA

Fairpoint FiOS?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't FiOS been deployed in parts of NH? Are these going to be sold to FairPoint as well, or will they be retained by Verizon?

I believe this may be the first real split of a Bell Operating Company (the former New England Telephone)- will FairPoint now be considered a "Baby Bell" (Hey, Qwest is...)

tileguy
Premium
join:2007-08-09
Derry, NH
Yesterday we got a bill from Verizon for the phone but the address to pay was Fairpoint. It doesn't state whether it's for phone or internet. Does anyone know exactly what services Fairpoint are taking over? We have Fios 15/2 and phone from Verizon. Does Verizon control internet and Fairpoint get the phone or what? COnfused.............

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
said by tileguy:

Does anyone know exactly what services Fairpoint are taking over?
My understanding is FairPoint gets everything but wireless service. The will maintain current FIOS but have no plans to expand it.

/tom

xsiddalx

join:2005-03-11
Chicago, IL
reply to EPS4
said by EPS4:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't FiOS been deployed in parts of NH? Are these going to be sold to FairPoint as well, or will they be retained by Verizon?

I believe this may be the first real split of a Bell Operating Company (the former New England Telephone)- will FairPoint now be considered a "Baby Bell" (Hey, Qwest is...)
If FIOS has been deployed, it won't be retained, they are selling the franchise. This type of business doesn't sell a customer at a time.

No Fairpoint won't be a baby bell, those were determined in 84.

Qwest is a baby bell because they were US West, subsequently purchased from Qwest and Nacchio's hubris. Ex ATT guy in charge of a company that made sense, but decided to buy Q for some reason (silly to me but I'm sure he was making money and fulfilling an egocentric desire). Course he followed ebbers...both playing poker in cushie executive prision (for the kids: crime might pay).

Since my opinion don't count, I'll lead you to the WIKI, which is *cough* more authoritative:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT&T

How do you defined splits of a Baby Bell? Qwest has been dumping pieces of their company for years. Search the FCC website. Then again, VZ has been selling off pieces too, small pieces in the northeast, but the biggest being HI telecom.

FastiBook

join:2003-01-08
Newtown, PA
reply to EPS4
Qwest also has customers in a 3rd of the country. As far as FIOS transferring, its a matter of fairpoint adopting the service contracts of fios subscribers. I'm sure that was thought of before the sale went up for a vote in the affected areas.