spc
Search similar:

uniqs
thorne4
join:2008-02-27
Scarborough, ON

thorne4

not what i was expecting

so I've been reading all of this good copy about this isp, a few calls to tech support netted a few minutes of technically informed chat about service specs... all very impressive (I was w/ sympatico)

i talked it over with all of the ppl on the LAN and collectively we decided. I placed an order being Very Specific that it was Not a bell line. Asked if i needed to provide anything...

"no it's not a problem"

my activation date has come and gone, I called to find out what was up and I'm told;

"we need the circut number"

not being new at this I was not surprised at this, it's what I suspected all along. Two phone calls later and everyone knows what they need to, but...

.. why did I have to call to find my prepaid service was not going to be implemented?

.. why was the initial sales person misinformed as to the need for circuit numbers after being explicitly told that the copper did not belong to bell?

.. why am I having to chase after a company that owes me service for necessary information like provisioning dates, default gateways, dns servers etc?

I truly feel like I'm still dealing with sympatico

Taylortbb
Premium Member
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON

Taylortbb

Premium Member

TekSavvy is normally very good. I suggest getting in contact with Rocky (CEO/Owner) about this issue (PM him here on the forums), it's well established that circuit numbers are necessary in your situation.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei to thorne4

Premium Member

to thorne4
>I truly feel like I'm still dealing with sympatico

The difference is that the Teksavvy onwers care very much about such incidents and if given the details, will make sure it doesn't happen again.

When a company grows and hires lots of new people, there is some ramping up to be done. And pointing out such problems ensures their training programme is improved.

TekDogg
join:2005-05-19
Toronto, ON

TekDogg to thorne4

to thorne4
-How long did you wait on hold?

-Could you understand the person that you spoke with? (Didn't it feel good knowing your money was staying in Canada instead of going to India).

- Was that person rude to you?

No way in hell you felt like you were still dealing with Sympatico despite the problems you had.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to jfmezei

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

>and if given the details, will make sure it doesn't happen again.
Nothing is ever fool-proof. Engineering firms can take extra steps to reduce the risk of engineering errors causing catastrophic failures but no matter how perfect the science may be, it will always be subjected to the human factor.

I have been serving myself cereals for breakfast for years but once a year, they accidentally end up in a glass rather than in a bowl or with orange juice in place of milk - the latter actually happened only once.

Given the right amount of fatigue and distraction, human factors can introduce unexpected errors in even the most seemingly mundane of tasks.
pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23

pablo to thorne4

MVM

to thorne4
Hi Thorne,

You're probably wondering why there's a ferocious loyalty to Teksavvy in the responses to your post. It is well deserved. I realize you may not think so at the moment but hang in there. Teksavvy does make mistakes (who doesn't?!) but as is pointed out, they're willing to 1) own up to them and 2) fix them.

In my dealings with Bell, they're the antithesis of Teksavvy.

Hang in there and do PM Rocky.

JGROCKY
Premium Member
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON

JGROCKY to thorne4

Premium Member

to thorne4
Hi thorne,

As others have mentioned... Please PM me your details and I'll have a look to see what can be done.

Regards,

Rocky

TSI Steve2
TSI Steve
Premium Member
join:2007-01-12
Chatham, ON

TSI Steve2 to thorne4

Premium Member

to thorne4
said by thorne4:

...snip...
I placed an order being Very Specific that it was Not a bell line. Asked if i needed to provide anything...

"no it's not a problem"

my activation date has come and gone, I called to find out what was up and I'm told;

"we need the circut number"

not being new at this I was not surprised at this, it's what I suspected all along. Two phone calls later and everyone knows what they need to, but...

.. why did I have to call to find my prepaid service was not going to be implemented?

.. why was the initial sales person misinformed as to the need for circuit numbers after being explicitly told that the copper did not belong to bell?

.. why am I having to chase after a company that owes me service for necessary information like provisioning dates, default gateways, dns servers etc?

I truly feel like I'm still dealing with sympatico
Hello,

You should not have had to call us that's for sure. However, we don't always find out about the need for the circuit number right away. Sometimes Bell needs it sometimes they don't. The main problem is that if you are with certain LVP's it can be very difficult to obtain the circuit number as those LVP's act like there is no circuit number and even go so far as to say there is no circuit number.

One point of view may be that we should ask for the circuit number on every order thats a non-Bell ... the problem is again though, those companies that are not all that willing to give it out.

At this point I would appreciate if you could post your details in the Direct forum so that we can look into the reason why you did not get contacted by us.

Now that I am done typing this up I see Rocky has also posted ...

So anyway, PM Rocky or post in the Direct forum we'll be sure to look into it.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

>One point of view may be that we should ask for the circuit
>number on every order thats a non-Bell ... the problem is
>again though, those companies that are not all that willing
>to give it out.

You should at least warn the customer that he may or may not need the circuit number. This way, when you guys find out that you do need the circuit number, the customer is not surprised.

You really need a web page on your site that properly describes the steps and information needed to switch from one DSL ISP to another, including cases where the phone service is not provided by Bell.

These questions pop up here continuously, and "here" (DSLR) is probably a small subset of your potential customer base. Majroity would get information from your web site.

TSI Steve2
TSI Steve
Premium Member
join:2007-01-12
Chatham, ON

TSI Steve2

Premium Member

said by jfmezei:

>One point of view may be that we should ask for the circuit
>number on every order thats a non-Bell ... the problem is
>again though, those companies that are not all that willing
>to give it out.

You should at least warn the customer that he may or may not need the circuit number. This way, when you guys find out that you do need the circuit number, the customer is not surprised.

You really need a web page on your site that properly describes the steps and information needed to switch from one DSL ISP to another, including cases where the phone service is not provided by Bell.

These questions pop up here continuously, and "here" (DSLR) is probably a small subset of your potential customer base. Majroity would get information from your web site.
Thank you for the positive criticism.

We'll definitely look at adding that info to the site.

Thanks again!
Steve
thorne4
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

thorne4

@TekDogg.. your right about hold time (5min) and every one has been pleasant to speak to, but the foreseeable circuit # issue and lack of communication...

I still haven't received any communication beyond this thread, still have no activation date.

I'm going to PM rocky with some info, from what Ive seen(from this forum) I expect him to do what he can but it'll be hard for me to see anything from this point as 'proactive'

TSI
System Admin
Premium Member
join:2007-02-17
Merlin, ON

TSI

Premium Member

Hello thorne,

I have just resent the confirmation email to you. Enclosed you will find the new activation date as well as the billing dates going forward.

Regards,

Rick
thorne4
Scarborough, ON

thorne4

thank you rick, I've received it

pity the activation date is so far into the future, but I understand that you are constrained in your available moments.

any chance you can forward dns and default gateway info to me so i can pre configure my end.

TSI
System Admin
Premium Member
join:2007-02-17
Merlin, ON

TSI

Premium Member

Shouldn't be necessary as PPPoE (even Static IP PPPoE) is dynamicly assigned based on UID. Let me know if you still need it though.

Regards,

Rick
thorne4
Scarborough, ON

thorne4

hrmmm

so then I'm bridging @ the modem and the firewalls are set to dhcp there static ip's?

i have 2 static ip's, but only 1 user id.
daboom
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
Oshawa, ON

daboom

Premium Member

What modem do you have?

And if you search the threads for static ips there are tons of info how to setup with Tek.

Here's one to start..

Hope this helps

»Multiple Static IPs
thorne4
Scarborough, ON

thorne4

i have a st 516v5

behind that I'm running a linux fw/router (smoothwall)
thorne4

thorne4

so I found the TekSavvy Static IP Starter Guide which wasn't all that relavent but chatter in the thread seams to indicate that I'll get my single ip in the PPPoE exchange and Ill have to setup the firewall to masquerade as the second and port forward from there.

is this accurate?