how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FiOSfreak93

join:2008-02-23
Ellicott City, MD

Why does installation take so long?

I am somewhat worried about all the things they are going to do during installation since I read in this forum it could take even a day's work long. Does anyone know specifically what type of things they do that would take so long? Also, what type of wiring schemes do they use to hook you up (I am wondering about this since since it takes so long, I was thinking maybe they wire a bunch of stuff)?

answer man

@verizon.net
SEARCH is your friend. You'll find many stories in this forum.

budice

join:2006-10-18
Huntington Beach, CA
reply to FiOSfreak93
Just understand that fiber is being introduced to the household. And most techs don't know what to expect when they walk into a residence. Depending on how old the house is, how many floors, where the fiber is at that point in time, where to put the hardware and cabling, where do you want hookups in the house. All sorts of questions which complicate the process of install.

Be understanding, and know each install is different. There's some easier, and some harder.

Isaka

join:2007-05-12
Lewisville, TX
reply to FiOSfreak93
If you would like a shorter installation, you can cut down a lot of the time by doing some leg work ahead of time. Make sure there is coax ran to the router and each TV location, preferably with 1 home run (central) location where all the ends terminate. Make sure there is a coax from the home run to wherever the ONT will be installed. Have a power outlet selected for the BBU/PS and the area around it cleared for the tech. Have area's around the TV's and computer cleared and pulled out if necessary and old satelite/cable equipment disconnected.

If you are willing to do this work, then you can probably cut 2 hours off of your installation. Installing your fiber line, ONT, BBU, and PS are things that will need to be done regardless, and just that can take a couple hours.

BoostHungry

join:2008-02-29
Middletown, NJ
reply to FiOSfreak93
They got to my house around 9:30-10:00 in the morning...I went to work at 1:00 PM (my parents were still there)...I come home at 9:30 PM and low-and-behold he is still there! Apparently the people who ran the fiber optic cable from the street to my house did simply that, they ran it but did not acctually connect it to the fiber network at the street.

Tip: If you plan on using your own router have them hook the ONT up in an area where you can run a ethernet cable from the ONT to your router. You will need to talk to the tech about setting the ONT to send the internet throught the ethernet port not the coax. He may give you shit about not setting up a third party router if thats the case tell him you still want to use the ethernet and have him hook both the ethernet and the coax to their router. - You will still need their router with coax hooked up to it because thats what handles your on-screen guide.

alarmguy2

join:2000-10-31
Hicksville, NY
reply to Isaka
Not always true. I had a board set up for the tech. Outlets no more than 2 feet away. All lines run and terminated. The only thing the tech had to do was run the fiber into the house, which I had to help him. Mount the ont and power supply, connect coax, one phone line and plug in 4 stb's. It still took him all day. I realized that if he finished early he would have to go do another install. He should have been finished by 11:00 am. But he dragged it out till 4 pm. It only took 1 1/2 hour to get the line in and the ont setup but 5 hours to setup the stb's.

click me

@verizon.net
reply to FiOSfreak93
FiOSfreak93,

Are you still worried?

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro
reply to alarmguy2
said by alarmguy2:

Not always true. I had a board set up for the tech. Outlets no more than 2 feet away. All lines run and terminated. The only thing the tech had to do was run the fiber into the house, which I had to help him. Mount the ont and power supply, connect coax, one phone line and plug in 4 stb's. It still took him all day. I realized that if he finished early he would have to go do another install. He should have been finished by 11:00 am. But he dragged it out till 4 pm. It only took 1 1/2 hour to get the line in and the ont setup but 5 hours to setup the stb's.
Same here... I already had all the coax ran (2 story home), new power outlet put in and the basement cleared where the BBU/PSU was to be installed, all the old boxes removed, I setup the router for him and that was basically it... He had to get a rig to install the fiber, that took about 20 minutes. The rest of the install took about 6 hours... Mainly because the guy was really lazy and he would talk for long periods of time about sports and other things without doing work.. He actually told me that he is getting paid overtime and that he likes to drag out installs. I had no where to go, and I was happy to get FIOS.. I'm not going to complain.

He setup the STBs (3 of them) in under 10 minutes total. Like I said, I installed the router myself (Actiontec MoCa) (it isn't as bad as it seems, I actually like it over my ethernet router!).

-Tzale
--
Neoconservatives (G.W.B) are not real conservatives. A conservative believes in defending the Constitution. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. - RON PAUL 2008 »www.usconstitution.net/const.html

techanon

@verizon.net

1 recommendation

reply to FiOSfreak93

Here are some great tips!

alarmguy and tzale are exceptions to the rule and almost any tech would welcome the break. I hope your own backyard is so clean and you don't waste any time during the day at your job you condescending assnugget. We have families and lives too.

Don't move anything! 9 out 10 times you are just moving it my way. Make sure that you offer to move anything that might need moved or pay careful attention to where the tech says he will need to be working and clear out any potential obstacles out of the way.

Put down some old blankets or plastic on your floors where the tech will need to walk. I can't count the number of times I could save 2 hours by cutting through the house to get to the basement instead of having to walk all the way around the house 56 times because there is no gate on the side of the house I am working. There is a ton of stuff to carry and multiple trips are made.

Have your new email address and password ready, along with the answer to a secret question, gender and DOB. People typically struggle with this for about 40 minutes.

Please understand that your street and the environment that the tech has to work in is fraught with hazards. Crazy drivers, electrical hazards, and rotten poles to name a few. Safety is the first priority,, then your service second. (safety=me going home to see my family and I could really care less if you have internet if my life is in danger.)

Another helpful tip is to make sure that you understand that "Pushing STB and Power will turn it on AND OFF."

Please also understand that if you do a shitty job of installing your ultracheap radioshack cable that you have no right to be pissed off when I have to replace it.

Save all your questions until the end of the technicians walk through.

Lastly make sure you uncover and disclose any splitters that have been buried in a wall since 1973.

fios joe

join:2007-10-14
Toms River, NJ
I totally agree with you techanon!!! You took all the words out my mouth. And could i just add, if cx's could put pets away in a separate room/yard so i dont have to be a babysitter while i'm in and out of a house for hours. Not all cx's are like this, but every now & then you run into a few. I'm a fios tech in NJ.

techanon

@verizon.net
reply to FiOSfreak93

Re: Why does installation take so long?

I would also like to add that the greater majority of Verizon Service technicians take great pride in their work. Most of us suscribe to "do it right the first time so we don't have to do it twice" mentality. There are the few that just half ass it and on to the next job or coffee shop, but they are few and far between.

If you want someone to just do a half assed job on your service then call Comcast. They have a whole entourage of paid by the job contractors that will slap some shitty lookin' cable on the side of your house, never give a crap about the quality of service, and then call it a day leaving you with a fuzzy picture.

What are you particularly worried about?

Karen_A

@acusphere.com
reply to BoostHungry
I am having FiOS installed later this month. Given the Coax in my house is a mess of spitters and such (Previous owner did it themselves with splitters all over the place), I think it would be best to run Cat5e (ethernet) cable from the ONT to the router even if using their router for best net preformance and future troubleshooting.I realize I need COAX to the router as well since I'm also getting TV.

Will the installer be willing to do that?

Also how far can the BBU be from the ONT? I don't want it immy livingroom or dining room (Closest rooms with power to where the will want to put the ONT)

BTW I know they won't fish cable through walls, but I have a cavity for water pipes (no longer being used) that goes from the attic down to the basement. If they run lines in though the attic and down that straight cavity it would make putting the BBU in the basement and getting ethernet (and/or Coax) as to where I want the router a breeze!

Will they do that?

Thanks

alarmguy2

join:2000-10-31
Hicksville, NY
reply to techanon

Re: Here are some great tips!

I take offense at being called an assnugget. And yes my backyard is clean. Verizon is not paying you to walk around with you thumb stuck up your wazoo. They are paying you to get the job done in a timely manner. If you want an easier job than get out of the service business.

DJMADfx

join:2002-02-27
Merrick, NY
reply to FiOSfreak93

The picture couldn't fit this thread any better...

robostock

join:2005-07-28
Wayland, MA
reply to FiOSfreak93
I had my FIOS installed on 2/11/08 and EVERYTHING went very smooth. It took about 7hrs and the guy never took a lunch break! Kudos to the Verizon install techs.

Very clean install. Very professional. Very thorough.

I did though, mount a board for the ONT and added dedicated outlet for the ONT. Also, cleared the work area outside and inside for the tech.

My idea is that a happy installer = a happy install.

techanon

@verizon.net
reply to alarmguy2

Re: Here are some great tips!

I apologize alarmguy. Assnugget was the least offensive thing I could think of.

It's just that posts like yours just really piss me off. "And I had to help him." I've run into your type at installs before. The type that has no clue about the fiber install. You so nonchalantly say that "I had to help him." The truth is that your type is always in a hurry, inconsiderate, and yes condescending. You desperately want to be an elitist and you have road rage. You offered to help and the tech took you up on it. Did you climb a pole? Pull a string? Mount some conduit or and LB?

How do you know that the activation system wasn't down that day and the tech just didn't say anything? I've sat for 4 hours before for that very reason.

You agreed to an install that could take 4-6 hours. It could take less it could take longer. It is what it is.

Enjoy your FiOS and thanks for your patronage.

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA
reply to robostock

I had an experience similar to robostock's. The tech arrived at about 10:30 AM and left at about 5:30 PM. He worked right through, taking no lunch break. I also provided a pre-hung mounting board, outlets and ran all the coax right to where he mounted the ONT. I ran Cat5e from an access wall plate, in the basement, to where the router was to be. I also helped where I could to make his job a little easier (I actually learned a lot and enjoyed doing it).

I asked if he had any problem with activating the Cat5e port on the ONT and he said absolutely none. He was friendly, neat and definitely competent at his job. He also did some things that, I'm sure, are not in the installation job description - let's just say that I have an installation that's configured like I'd hoped and probably not to V*'s normal specs.

Here's what he did for my install:
-Ran an aerial fiber drop across a busy street ~100' from the pole to my house (he had to wait for another tech to stop traffic so he could make the run).
-Install a 4-port fiber terminal on the pole.
-Drill a 1" hole through a brick wall and through three thicknesses of 2 x 12 header.
-Run the fiber ~10' to where the ONT was to be mounted.
-Mount the ONT (those Alcatels have a really crappy mounting method for the electronics to the mounting sub-base).
-Connect up the fiber.
-Terminate and connect the three coax runs and one Cat5e run.
-Install the equip for the internet and MoCA link (ain't saying no more 'bout that except that this is what put a happy smile on my face).
-Get me started on the FiOS I'net activation website.
-Install and activate the STBs (activation took over an hour - not his fault).
-Go over the basic operation of the STBs with me.
-Figure out why about 1/4 of the channels I ordered weren't coming up. Turns out that this was because there was a cable surge suppressor left over from my DTV installation, in the line, buried behind the entertainment hutch - this thing was killing the S/N ratio at one of the STBs.
-Cleaned up all his "droppings" from the install work and schlepped all his tools back to the van - he refused to let me help.
-He had to put up with calls on his cell phone, from his supervisor, about every 1/2 hour asking him where he was in the install process and how soon he could get to the next appointment. This clearly got to him by about the fourth hour and I can't blame him.

He probably would have gotten out of here an hour or so earlier but it took the CO (or whoever does it) over an hour to activate the STBs after he sent the S/N data in, so we talked for a while. The only thing he accepted from me was a cup of coffee and whatever help I could give. So far as I'm concerned, he did a full day's work at my house.

I offered him a little "appreciation" for his willingness to work things the way I'd hoped but he refused. I told him I wanted to write a letter to his supervisor letting him know how pleased I was with his work and work ethic - again, he declined saying it wasn't necessary.

When he left, he was going off to another call about a FiOS-TV problem - he said he needed to make some extra money with his anniversary coming up.

In the 30 years we've lived at this house, I've had four dealings with telco techs (dating back to the old BA days). None of them have ever been anything but cordial and good at what they do. I'm sure there are some gold-brickers out there, there always are. But, by and large I've found these field service guys to be decent folk.

If this kind of professionalism were to spill over to those who deal with the administrative end of V* (phone and billing ppl), there would be a lot less aggravated posts in these forums.

So, that's why these installs take so long.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons