spc
uniqs
BoostHungry
join:2008-02-29
Middletown, NJ

BoostHungry to FiOSfreak93

to FiOSfreak93

Re: Why does installation take so long?

They got to my house around 9:30-10:00 in the morning...I went to work at 1:00 PM (my parents were still there)...I come home at 9:30 PM and low-and-behold he is still there! Apparently the people who ran the fiber optic cable from the street to my house did simply that, they ran it but did not acctually connect it to the fiber network at the street.

Tip: If you plan on using your own router have them hook the ONT up in an area where you can run a ethernet cable from the ONT to your router. You will need to talk to the tech about setting the ONT to send the internet throught the ethernet port not the coax. He may give you shit about not setting up a third party router if thats the case tell him you still want to use the ethernet and have him hook both the ethernet and the coax to their router. - You will still need their router with coax hooked up to it because thats what handles your on-screen guide.

Karen_A
@acusphere.com

Karen_A

Anon

I am having FiOS installed later this month. Given the Coax in my house is a mess of spitters and such (Previous owner did it themselves with splitters all over the place), I think it would be best to run Cat5e (ethernet) cable from the ONT to the router even if using their router for best net preformance and future troubleshooting.I realize I need COAX to the router as well since I'm also getting TV.

Will the installer be willing to do that?

Also how far can the BBU be from the ONT? I don't want it immy livingroom or dining room (Closest rooms with power to where the will want to put the ONT)

BTW I know they won't fish cable through walls, but I have a cavity for water pipes (no longer being used) that goes from the attic down to the basement. If they run lines in though the attic and down that straight cavity it would make putting the BBU in the basement and getting ethernet (and/or Coax) as to where I want the router a breeze!

Will they do that?

Thanks