spc
uniqs
alarmguy2
join:2000-10-31
Hicksville, NY

alarmguy2 to Isaka

to Isaka

Re: Why does installation take so long?

Not always true. I had a board set up for the tech. Outlets no more than 2 feet away. All lines run and terminated. The only thing the tech had to do was run the fiber into the house, which I had to help him. Mount the ont and power supply, connect coax, one phone line and plug in 4 stb's. It still took him all day. I realized that if he finished early he would have to go do another install. He should have been finished by 11:00 am. But he dragged it out till 4 pm. It only took 1 1/2 hour to get the line in and the ont setup but 5 hours to setup the stb's.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale

Premium Member

said by alarmguy2:

Not always true. I had a board set up for the tech. Outlets no more than 2 feet away. All lines run and terminated. The only thing the tech had to do was run the fiber into the house, which I had to help him. Mount the ont and power supply, connect coax, one phone line and plug in 4 stb's. It still took him all day. I realized that if he finished early he would have to go do another install. He should have been finished by 11:00 am. But he dragged it out till 4 pm. It only took 1 1/2 hour to get the line in and the ont setup but 5 hours to setup the stb's.
Same here... I already had all the coax ran (2 story home), new power outlet put in and the basement cleared where the BBU/PSU was to be installed, all the old boxes removed, I setup the router for him and that was basically it... He had to get a rig to install the fiber, that took about 20 minutes. The rest of the install took about 6 hours... Mainly because the guy was really lazy and he would talk for long periods of time about sports and other things without doing work.. He actually told me that he is getting paid overtime and that he likes to drag out installs. I had no where to go, and I was happy to get FIOS.. I'm not going to complain.

He setup the STBs (3 of them) in under 10 minutes total. Like I said, I installed the router myself (Actiontec MoCa) (it isn't as bad as it seems, I actually like it over my ethernet router!).

-Tzale